Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo On Tddi
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
n1xsta
Hi guys need advice,

Brought a 2001 tddi 2.0 Mondeo Zetec the other day more as a project.

My turbo doesn't seem to kick in at all and the car seems really sluggish.

I am driving with my foot down and feels I'm driving a 1.0 engine in my big car. There is nothing at all it just goes up slowly. There is no misfiring or anything.

The car was used on a farm and have fixed the oil pressure switch and the rear wheel bearing hub will be doing a service On the car next week but this is my next mission.

Any ideas welcome please
AJRTDDI

If it was me. Check the air line between turbo and actuator. Clean out all the intercooler pipes and inlet manifold (inlet manifold removal requires exhuast manifold removal)

n1xsta
What about egr valve
FOCA

Hi guys need advice,

Brought a 2001 tddi 2.0 Mondeo Zetec the other day more as a project.

My turbo doesn't seem to kick in at all and the car seems really sluggish.

I am driving with my foot down and feels I'm driving a 1.0 engine in my big car. There is nothing at all it just goes up slowly. There is no misfiring or anything.

The car was used on a farm and have fixed the oil pressure switch and the rear wheel bearing hub will be doing a service On the car next week but this is my next mission.

Any ideas welcome please

A stock one is slow off the line/ through the gears and in 1st and 2nd, there is no point in revving it past 3.5k (power/torqueband is usually about 2k-3.5k) and it is quite a big heavy car (depends what you are used to- if you owned a moped before you would think it was quick, if you had a 400Hp evo you would think it was broken!) in 3rd and 4th it should pull well and can be deceptively quick (because of the engines "torquy" low revving nature)

The TDDI can have a fixed vane or variable- vane turbo - they have different power delivery characteristricts

The inlet manifold is at the front , the exhaust at the back, you can remove one without having to remove the other

If its not performing like is should there could be a whole load of reasons - do you intend to keep it stock?     

n1xsta
I'm happy to change things I've
Had Mondos before there is no pull at all evening in 3rd or 4th there is nothing I put foot down into 2nd gear it will go to go then pull back

Has trouble getting up hills as there just not enough power
FOCA

I would give it a bit of a service 1st, like a fresh air filter, and who knows when the oil was last changed, then get a solid blanking plate on the EGR, clean out the inlet manifold and the intercooler, check the boost hoses for splits/ leaks (sounds you could be low on boost)

if you could post up some pictures to see if you have a fixed or VNT and front or rear EGR   

n1xsta
Ok what am
I looking for sorry new to this stuff.

I know how to do blanking plate does it need one or two??

What's best thing to clean egr out and inlet out wkth
n1xsta
It's a rear egr I know that much
n1xsta
Sorry what's vnt
n1xsta
Is it best to use engine flush with changing pul
FOCA

VNT = Variable Nozzle Turbo/ variable vane turbo

if you have a VNT (rather than fixed-vane) it can be another potential source if trouble, as the VNT mech can get coked up, causing it to sieze or jam, which can cause low boost or exessive boost

if you have a rear EGR one (solid) blanking plate will do, it fits after the EGR valve.  

its debateable whether engine oli flush is nessesary - the main thing is fitting a fresh oil filter and the right oil, and not leave the old oil in for too long - after a while oil looses its protective qualities    

the manifold can get badly clogged up, (much worse than the intercooler) spraying EGR cleaner into it is a waste of time, you have to take it right off the engine, the best way i found to clean it is with a hot, high pressure foam/ soap jet- wash.(ie- industrial) and a de- greasant - its a dirty, messy job      

n1xsta
Next question where is the inlet manifold and how do I get it out.
n1xsta
Should I get new flaps for inlet manifold

And where is best place to get the egr blanking plates
FOCA

Next question where is the inlet manifold and how do I get it out.

Should I get new flaps for inlet manifold

And where is best place to get the egr blanking plates

its the long plastic thing at the front of the engine, you simply unbolt it, it is easy, try not to loose the rubber gaskets and it does not need a lot of torque to replace it  

The mk3 diesels (TDDIs/ TDCIs) do not have flaps, that is the petrol- engined Mondeos, so no, you won't need (non-existent) flaps  

You get the blanking plates online (eg - ebay) best to use solid, stainless steel plates, especially on a rear EGR engine, (plate gets hotter) as aluminium ones can melt 

n1xsta
What's the easiest way to get to the egr
matto2494

VNT = Variable Nozzle Turbo/ variable vane turbo

if you have a VNT (rather than fixed-vane) it can be another potential source if trouble, as the VNT mech can get coked up, causing it to sieze or jam, which can cause low boost or exessive boost

if you have a rear EGR one (solid) blanking plate will do, it fits after the EGR valve.  

its debateable whether engine oli flush is nessesary - the main thing is fitting a fresh oil filter and the right oil, and not leave the old oil in for too long - after a while oil looses its protective qualities    

the manifold can get badly clogged up, (much worse than the intercooler) spraying EGR cleaner into it is a waste of time, you have to take it right off the engine, the best way i found to clean it is with a hot, high pressure foam/ soap jet- wash.(ie- industrial) and a de- greasant - its a dirty, messy job      

If the turbo is coked up, is it a replacement job or an you clean it up?

Full Colour Version: Turbo On Tddi
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.