Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gasket Cover Advice
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
saklak

Hi,

I'm planning to replace the gasket cover because this one leaks. Wondering if doing it outside it's ok, I'm thinking to wind + dust... I'm not leaving in desert but still,

I don't have an inside place.

I've been quoted by ford for £70 which seams to me huge and local garage I don't trust, they all hurry and I want to do it right. 

I also heard that replacing this does not fix it, or it fixes it for a period. Any advice here ? The cam cover should be cleaned in any way, using a degreaser or something ?

Thanks alot for any advice.

dezwez

wait till you have a sunny day no wind and clean it well.
I used some instant gasket sealer on mine I got new rubber gasket form local auto parts shop
sealed it well :)

stef123
Clean the cover with some degreaser before you remove it, wipe away any loose deposits etc. remove the cover and gasket - check the cover is not warped.

Clean it up with a little degreaser and make sure the mating face on the cylinder head is clean.

Fit your new gasket - shouldn't be any need for instan gasket. Tighten the bolts up in the correct order to specified torque.
saklak
Well i dont have a torque wrench and it seams expensive and l'm going to borrow one from somewhere if i can find otherwise I'll use a normal one.

I found the values it's 10Nm for cover bolts and 25Nm and 75' angle. Can someone confirm this values. Also I cant find the right order. Middle ones first and then the other ones ?

Thanks for the help.
saklak

order.jpg

Here's the order if anyone needs it.

I successfully replaced the gasket today. Everything seams fine now.

Full Colour Version: Gasket Cover Advice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.