Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elm Cable/programming In Scotland
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
KevG

Anybody in Scotland, prefereably in the Glasgow area got an ELM cable to re-program bits in my ST?

Cash or Tea on offer :)

.Martin
I've got one but I'm up beside John O' Groats lol

I'm gonna give my one a try tomorrow. I've tried it in offline mode and it doesn't look too scary.
Dee_82

possibly, ive changed a few things using MS and HS an am happy to screw over myself but not sure I trust my soldering abilities to someone else's car if you get my meaning!

what you wanting to change? have you got the software side sorted an its just the cable?

im pretty much dipping my toes in the water with it at the moment but im muddling through, im by no means an expert with it yet.

just about to go do some data recording using it whilst going to xscape ( for some climbing) if your around let me know, if your happy to give it ago on your own I could post it to you.

KevG

I've got one but I'm up beside John O' Groats lol

I'm gonna give my one a try tomorrow. I've tried it in offline mode and it doesn't look too scary.

A bit far from me Martin.....its not that scary using it...had a play with and seems pretty straight forward.

possibly, ive changed a few things using MS and HS an am happy to screw over myself but not sure I trust my soldering abilities to someone else's car if you get my meaning!

what you wanting to change? have you got the software side sorted an its just the cable?

im pretty much dipping my toes in the water with it at the moment but im muddling through, im by no means an expert with it yet.

just about to go do some data recording using it whilst going to xscape ( for some climbing) if your around let me know, if your happy to give it ago on your own I could post it to you.

Cheers Darren, I have a modded ELM cable but I cannot seem to communicate with any of the MS-Can modules, all I want to do is enable the Auto wipers and Autolamps, as I have all the stuff fitted and wired.

I would like to compare sombody elses unit, with mine to see if/and what is wrong with mine.

Dee_82

can you connect using HS to the normal OBD?

I found two issues with connecting, at first it didn't work for me either.

First up was don't let it do auto anything! select 38.8k and the com port (type "COM4" not just "4") or whatever your com port number is, don't let it scan, or find the port, or the speed or anything, set it yourself.  Download FORscan, it is a nice wee OBD tool that uses both HS and MS and more importantly, it tell you when to switch it over, the number of times I couldn't get it work because it was In the wrong mode is stupid.  if FORscan works ok your sorted, its just a matter of getting ELM FF2 working, if it doesn't work at all then something is defo wrong.  But might just be driver related, try using a different USB port / driver.

Assuming it does work in both MS and HS, all I needed to do was run ELM-EN as admin, right click it and run as administrator.

KevG

can you connect using HS to the normal OBD?

I found two issues with connecting, at first it didn't work for me either.

First up was don't let it do auto anything! select 38.8k and the com port (type "COM4" not just "4") or whatever your com port number is, don't let it scan, or find the port, or the speed or anything, set it yourself.  Download FORscan, it is a nice wee OBD tool that uses both HS and MS and more importantly, it tell you when to switch it over, the number of times I couldn't get it work because it was In the wrong mode is stupid.  if FORscan works ok your sorted, its just a matter of getting ELM FF2 working, if it doesn't work at all then something is defo wrong.  But might just be driver related, try using a different USB port / driver.

Assuming it does work in both MS and HS, all I needed to do was run ELM-EN as admin, right click it and run as administrator.

Oh I know about the software, dont let it do anything "auto", as I said Darren, my ELM is woking in HS-Can, but not in MS-Can, so me thinks its my ELM FF2, but I'll download FORscan and see if that works, if not then its my ELM FF2.

Dee_82

Let me know how you get on, as I said, I had similar issues with MS, I did a bunch of stuff and it now works fine so as long as you followed the guide to the letter and there is no shorts across any of the pins (use a continuity checker on a multi meter) its more likely to be driver / software related.

jeebowhite

Hi Darren,

As long as your not looking to communicate with the cluster for things like the extensive settings for cruise control, I have a spare one at home. I will happily sell it to you, or for the price of postage your welcome to borrow it?

KevG

Looks like my ELM cable is fine as Forscan worked a treat between MS and HS, so looks like its the ELM Config software from here is the problem.

So now to find if this software can work any ideas anybody?

Dee_82
Did you try putting it in comparability mode for windows xp and right click it to run as admin? Also try running It off a memory stick, inherited file permissions can play havok with less then perfect software
KevG

No, I'll give that a go

KevG

Right downloaded a fresh copy of ELMConfig, run from the memory stick, and hey presto it working, managed to get in to all modules and click some boxes that I wanted enabled.

Thanks Darren

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.