Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Number Plate Light Question.
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
footfistart
Hello just wondering I've been on fordpartsuk website and came across two types of light holders.
Now the ones on my car are the clip type which are crap as I can't get get it out to even see what bulbs they are.
So I am wondering if you can swap them over for the type where you have to take the two screws out that hold the licence plate bulb in.

Here is a link to help.

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_number_lamp_2008-2011_f_4502331_c_553.htm

It says it fits so I can only assume. It would make life so much easier for filament changes.

Many thanks
Ryan
Stoney871
The space where the lights fit will be totally different, sorry.
tomo91
I have the same problem on my mk2.5 mate, absolute nightmare, been wanting to change the lights to LEDs for ages now but I just can't seem to gain access lol cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app
karlos1987
I found my mk2.5. Easy to change. I just used a skinny flat head up the right hand side of the holder and gently pushed towards the holder and out it popped.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app
tomo91

I found my mk2.5. Easy to change. I just used a skinny flat head up the right hand side of the holder and gently pushed towards the holder and out it popped.

Oh really? I've tried to do that before but it just seems like I'm going to break it lol seems way to fragile man!
karlos1987
Yea they are fragile little things.

footfistart
Well I've broken both of mine by trying to get them out with a flat blade so they are both forces into the recess. I've been told the easiest way to take them out is to that the boot hatch cover off. There are two torqx screws holding it on and then it should just pull off. I'm just waiting for some leds to come cheap.
karlos1987
If you remove the boot handle then get some 3m tape to replace the stuff that's already there.

footfistart
That's what I plan on doing but instead of 3m tape I'll be using something called dual lock which is like Velcro only a lot stronger.
troy45

Didn't think there was any tape/velcro holding the boot inner trim on or the tailgate finisher if that needs to come off too?

Not had to replace any whenever I've gone as far as removing the whole finisher, just the 2 torx screws then pull the trim panel away to release all it's clips, plus a wiring connection, 6? nuts and 2 plastic clips to get the whole finisher off.

karlos1987
Mine had tape holding the boot handle to the boot. Aswel as 6 bolts.

footfistart
Really that sounds abit excessive. I don't understand why ford have to go overboard with trim. They don't make it simple. You would of thought so when it comes to maintenance. Same as aircraft maintenance manufactures don't make it easy. I guess it's down to making money.
karlos1987
True. It could of been tge previous owner though.

I did find the 6 nuts on mine were on plastic and broke easy so I had to overload with the 3m tape as I only had 2 bolts left to hold it.

troy45

Maybe the 3M tape was a fix from a previous owner then, or a temporary containment by Ford to address some sort of parts issue.

Another possibility - did the 3M tape just run along the top edge of the finisher and down the sides but none at the bottom, and maybe in 2 halves? Ford did have an issue with the chrome finishers rubbing into the paintwork and part of the service fix was a thin sticky-backed foam gasket which would fit to the tailgate to protect it. Gasket would be like I described above - I found the part number during a search and got one to try and sort the problem with my non-chrome finisher rubbing the paint but it didn't really work very well and just got dislodged over over time. Very possible they adopted it as the production fix as well, they'd cringe at the thought of adding time and additional parts to the production process but was maybe cheaper than re-designing the finisher to engineer out the issue.

Ironically they had the same type of problem with the chrome style tailgate finisher on the Mk1 Focus as well, but mustn't have taken the benefits of a lessons learned from it.

karlos1987
Yes it was exactly as you described. As I took mine off I had a little rust patch on the edge where the handle meets the boot.

So now everything you have said makes complete sense. Lol

troy45

Yes it was exactly as you described. As I took mine off I had a little rust patch on the edge where the handle meets the boot.

So now everything you have said makes complete sense. Lol

Well there's a first time for everything  :D

footfistart
So today I decided to take apart the boot to access the lights. Fairly easy once you get the boot shroud off. Trick to get it off is to start at the bottom and apply constant even pressure and all the clips will just POP out. Then there are six 10mm nuts to undo and a few plastic securing clips to push through the body and the small panel come clear of the car.
The bulbs are W5W so that's easy enough. I want to change to a different holder like the do on eBay but I don't fancy pulling all the wiring out as it's abit of a faff. The hardest bit of the job was and will be again is to put the boot shroud back on. Holding it with one hand and holding the boot with the other to het a good ane to push the clips back in.
I would of posted some pics but didn't take any.
So now I have abit of a shopping list as I've got other mods on the go. I should really write a build but not sure where to post it on the forum.
Stoney871
You need a set of these-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181383871337&alt=web

I fitted the equivalent type for my Mk2 and they are very bright with excellent coverage, the light meets at the centre so no shadows down the middle of the plate.

Sent from my S5
footfistart
Awesome. What sort of colour are they. A pure white of a bluish light? I'm after pure white really to match the rest of the car. Dont they just plug into the bulb holder right? Bit hard to tell from the angle of the picture.
Stoney871
Clean white light.
They have a T10 connector so just plug in with no wiring needed.

Sent from my S5
footfistart
Awesome just ordered a set. Should be here by the end of the week. I'll type a guide up on this thread or make another on how to change them over.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.