Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: catatylitic converter
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford C-Max Club
tedbuchan
my catatylitic converter as strated to smell in the car,ive been told not to worry,but dont hold the car on the clutch,is this correct
mintalkin
The rotten egg smell of the exhaust is fuel related. It is usually from sulphur compounds in the fuel. The catalytic convertor converts these compounds, therefore this odor is a sign that the convertor is working, it might smell more on short journeys as the cat might not get up to temp, as for holding the car on the clutch all this will cause is premature clutch wear.
vroom
[quote name='tedbuchan' post='28563' date='Jun 13 2009, 01:00 PM']my catatylitic converter as strated to smell in the car,ive been told not to worry,but dont hold the car on the clutch,is this correct[/quote]
does it smell like eggs
tedbuchan
[quote name='mintalkin' post='28617' date='Jun 13 2009, 05:35 PM']The rotten egg smell of the exhaust is fuel related. It is usually from sulphur compounds in the fuel. The catalytic convertor converts these compounds, therefore this odor is a sign that the convertor is working, it might smell more on short journeys as the cat might not get up to temp, as for holding the car on the clutch all this will cause is premature clutch wear.[/quote]
thanx mintalkin i had a pretty good idea that this was the problem,needed to run it by someone that knew more than me thanx again
tedbuchan
[quote name='vroom' post='28959' date='Jun 15 2009, 01:40 PM']does it smell like eggs[/quote]
hi vroom,yes it does smell like rotten eggs,mintalkin has answered my question,i had a bit of an idea that was the problem,but a family member said that it could be the cat packing in,thanx anyway
delboy
if the cat is smelling then take the car on a good fast run on the motorwway as that will
get it up2 temp & burn off any
deposits on the cat.

i was told this by a mechanic sometime back.

Full Colour Version: catatylitic converter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615