Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips for Using Touch Up Kit
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
tingtongbell
Bought a 3-pen Touch Up Kit from Halfords today which comes with only basic instrucitons.

Just wondering if any members have had experiences using this kit and like to share some tips!

Cheers
jasonst170
[quote name='tingtongbell' date='Jun 30 2009, 03:51 PM' post='31081']
iv only used 2 pen kits but find. putting pait in the chip and letin it dry. then t cut so there is no new paint ontop of old paint around chip/scratch then top coat it and t cut to blend the new coat to old...
slowcraig
2 weeks ago i found some small chips on my car, so i went down the local ford dealer, told them my registration number and they were able to get the exact colour for my focus, magna grey, worked a treat once i applied it & used t-cut
oto
I hardly ever use the built in brush. Use an artist's fine bristle brush instead. Other posters have suggested using t-cut. You can on straight paint but not metallics.
jamboken77
I dripped a bit of mine onto the paint below and now it's made that bit look crap, but the scrape looks fine. Anyone know how to clean the dripped part off?
oto
[quote name='jamboken77' post='32852' date='Jul 13 2009, 08:46 PM']I dripped a bit of mine onto the paint below and now it's made that bit look crap, but the scrape looks fine. Anyone know how to clean the dripped part off?[/quote]

Assuming you wiped the drip off after it happened, if you can't polish out the remaining blemish with mild cutting compound [b][u]for clear coat [/u][/b] then you may have to use P2000 grit wet & dry then the compound. Be very careful as today's clear coat is not very thick. Halfords has a couple of compounds for clear coat on their shelves.
jamboken77
[quote name='oto' post='32874' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:11 PM']Assuming you wiped the drip off after it happened, if you can't polish out the remaining blemish with mild cutting compound [b][u]for clear coat [/u][/b] then you may have to use P2000 grit wet & dry then the compound. Be very careful as today's clear coat is not very thick. Halfords has a couple of compounds for clear coat on their shelves.[/quote]

Thanks pal, it's not too bad, so probably leave it so not to mess it up even more ;)

Full Colour Version: Tips for Using Touch Up Kit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.