Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Humming noise at 50mph
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
MERCIAN
I own a focus tddi estate and recently I have been getting a humming/droning noise when I reach 50mph ( it is literally bang on 50mph). It subsides slightly past 50mph but does carry on.

I recently had two new tyres on the front, one of which was not balanced ( but i dont think noise started immediately after fitting.)
I have also had two front wishbones fitted at the same time.

Garage has checked wheel bearings and they are okay.

Any ideas?
sr-performance
hi mate, make sure your tyre's are not out of shape, it does happen!!
MERCIAN
[quote name='sr-performance' post='35131' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:22 PM']hi mate, make sure your tyre's are not out of shape, it does happen!![/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

Noise is almost certainly coming from front of car. There is no vibration connected with the noise and no noise/vibration from gear box. <_<
sr-performance
If you jack a wheel up and spin it you can usually see if its out of shape...
MERCIAN
[quote name='sr-performance' post='35188' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:32 PM']If you jack a wheel up and spin it you can usually see if its out of shape...[/quote]

ok will try it
bill07
first you should always get the wheels balanced,it could be causing all kinds of problems,think how much force could be created by 5 gram weight spinning on the end of a piece of string at that speed.
second what tyres did you fit, if they were cheep and nasty they are proberbly the problem.
MERCIAN
[quote name='bill07' post='35293' date='Jul 30 2009, 10:04 AM']first you should always get the wheels balanced,it could be causing all kinds of problems,think how much force could be created by 5 gram weight spinning on the end of a piece of string at that speed.
second what tyres did you fit, if they were cheep and nasty they are proberbly the problem.[/quote]

One was a budget tyre and one a Firestone. Firestone( never used ) was my spare so tyre place just fitted it without balancing it.

I am embarrassed to say that I havent checked the Firestone pressure yet
bill07
budget tyre can make alot of road noise,but so can low tyre pressure so check all the tyres.
MERCIAN
[quote name='bill07' date='Jul 30 2009, 06:19 PM' post='35371']
budget tyre can make alot of road noise,but so can low tyre pressure so check all the tyres.
[/quote

Have checked all four tyres, rear passenger side was only 20psi. Have sorted it but still getting noise at 50.
Will get tyres rebalanced at weekend.

Cheers
MERCIAN
Both front tyres didnt need balancing!
So can just assume that budget tyre is culprit.
Noise is much more noticeable on some road surfaces than others so must be " crappy " budget tyre.

Get what you pay for I suppose!

Full Colour Version: Humming noise at 50mph
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615