Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Fiesta Mk 1.3 Endura Lx
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Maintenance / Servicing / MOT Discussions
RMorrison81
Hi all, first time poster, long time reader!

I have an interesting problem with my motor, hopefully somebody may be able to shed some light on it!!

Basically, after driving for about 10 minutes I need to take my foot off the accelerator for nearly 5 seconds before I can shift up a gear, because what seems to happen after I release the accelerator it takes the car about 3-4 seconds to actually stop accelerating and calm down, which can make quick gear changes interesting.......

There seems to be nothing wrong with the accelerator cable itself, so I was wondering if anyone else has any other ideas?

Cheers,

Roger
gaz6076
What happens when you rev it neutral then let go of the pedal? Is it stiff to press?
RMorrison81
[quote name='gaz6076' post='37978' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:02 PM']What happens when you rev it netural then let go of the pedal? Is it stiff to press?[/quote]

no it feels fine!
gaz6076
Does it die down straight away when you rev it in neutral though?
RMorrison81
[quote name='gaz6076' post='37983' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:09 PM']Does it die down straight away when you rev it in netural though?[/quote]

Yep, just checked it! It only seems to do it in gear.
gaz6076
Put it in gear, keep the clutch pressed and give it a rev. What does it do? Try all gears. Any difference from when in neutral?
RMorrison81
[quote name='gaz6076' post='37986' date='Aug 18 2009, 08:20 PM']Put it in gear, keep the clutch pressed and give it a rev. What does it do? Try all gears. Any difference from when in neutral?[/quote]

I'll check it tomorrow, I live in a quiet area and dont want to annoy the neighbours.... If its any help when the engine is turned off the accelerator pedal is very smooth to press down, when the engine is turned on it doesn't feel smooth. It still goes down as if it was smooth but it feels a little vibratory when you push it...... Doesn't hinder the performance in any way and the car drives perfectly apart from the accelerator issue which starts happening after driving for 10 minutes...
gaz6076
Sounds like the cable. The reason why I was asking all the questions is because there's a common problem with the throttle position sensor which causes the car to rev during gear changes.

What year is it?
hendrix
had this same problem with my old 98 endura fiesta. it was the throttle sensor on mine it was bloody anoying reving its self to bits every time you changed gear. replaced it and then car ran fine with no problems for another 80,000 miles. Regreting selling it now.
RMorrison81
[quote name='hendrix' post='38008' date='Aug 18 2009, 09:26 PM']had this same problem with my old 98 endura fiesta. it was the throttle sensor on mine it was bloody anoying reving its self to bits every time you changed gear. replaced it and then car ran fine with no problems for another 80,000 miles. Regreting selling it now.[/quote]

Exactly the same problem as mine then, did the pedal feel like it was ever so lightly grinding against something when you pressed it down with the engine running? How much did it cost to get it sorted?

Thanks for the info guys...
RMorrison81
[quote name='gaz6076' post='38006' date='Aug 18 2009, 09:16 PM']Sounds like the cable. The reason why I was asking all the questions is because there's a common problem with the throttle position sensor which causes the car to rev during gear changes.

What year is it?[/quote]

Its an R Reg from 1998
gaz6076
Be sensor then. Theres a modified wiring harness/multiplug you can get from ford

Part no. 1150138
RMorrison81
Something really interesting about this problem (I havent replaced the TPS yet) - But a month ago, I bought a brand new Sony CD/MP3 player stereo for the car, and the problem only really started surfacing a wek or so after it was installed. Now recentley, the problem has been getting worse, until I drove from Reading to Oxford, and for the first time left the stereo switched off, and the journey passed without any incident involving the car thinking it was a boy racer. I have since made 5 journeys, and have left the stereo turned off, and hey presto, the car has been running without feeling the need to uncontrollably rev at it will!

Question is, is this just a coincidence or could it be the ecu (is that what its called) is having problem balancing the power in the car because of this new stereo? What does everyone think?
hendrix
could be affecting it if wiring around throttle sensor was knocked when wiring new radio. couldnt see why you go near it really though to fit a radio. Mine had original radio when sensor messed up. mine was tempremental also. could drive 10 miles to work no probs then on the way back it would rev its nuts off every time i changed gear. was about 160 fitted. they have to program new details to the car making it impossible (or so they claimed) to do it your self.
Salih
In my instance it was the throttle position sensor that was faulty, however however not sure if its the same for you. :ph34r:
RMorrison81
[quote name='Salih' post='48989' date='Nov 11 2009, 08:25 PM']In my instance it was the throttle position sensor that was faulty, however however not sure if its the same for you. :ph34r:[/quote]

Yeah, the throttle position sensor was changed and the problem seems to have ceased to exist!

Full Colour Version: Ford Fiesta Mk 1.3 Endura Lx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.