Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird Fiesta Problems (1999 1.25 LX)
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Maintenance / Servicing / MOT Discussions
Mr Fusion
I've had my Fiesta since last year, and it's my first car so you'll have to excuse my lack of automotive expertise.

Firstly, every now and then when the engine's cold and I push the clutch in to change gear, the engine dies until I bring it into a new gear, then it (usually) jumps back into life. It doesn't do this too often but obviously it's somewhat concerning. Also when I'm on the motorway and have the air conditioning on it seems to make the engine a bit jumpy when I stick my foot down, like I'll get some power out of it for a bit, then suddenly less for a second or two, before going back again. Not sure if this is normal or not for a small engine when powering A/C while doing 70.

Second problem is with the gearbox. Since late last year I've been finding it harder and harder to get the car out of first and into second gear, and the rest of the gears definitely don't feel as slick as they used to. When I had the cambelt changed about three months ago I asked the guy to check the gearbox oil and linkage out as well, and he said the linkage was fine but the oil was running low so he topped it up, though this has not made any significant difference. It's now got to the point where it takes ages to change from first to second unless I really crunch it in. Not sure if it's the clutch that's going, but the car's only done 33,500 miles!

Grateful for any advice or tips, thanks guys.
jedamotorsport
[quote name='Mr Fusion' post='38745' date='Aug 22 2009, 07:46 PM']I've had my Fiesta since last year, and it's my first car so you'll have to excuse my lack of automotive expertise.

Firstly, every now and then when the engine's cold and I push the clutch in to change gear, the engine dies until I bring it into a new gear, then it (usually) jumps back into life. It doesn't do this too often but obviously it's somewhat concerning. Also when I'm on the motorway and have the air conditioning on it seems to make the engine a bit jumpy when I stick my foot down, like I'll get some power out of it for a bit, then suddenly less for a second or two, before going back again. Not sure if this is normal or not for a small engine when powering A/C while doing 70.

Second problem is with the gearbox. Since late last year I've been finding it harder and harder to get the car out of first and into second gear, and the rest of the gears definitely don't feel as slick as they used to. When I had the cambelt changed about three months ago I asked the guy to check the gearbox oil and linkage out as well, and he said the linkage was fine but the oil was running low so he topped it up, though this has not made any significant difference. It's now got to the point where it takes ages to change from first to second unless I really crunch it in. Not sure if it's the clutch that's going, but the car's only done 33,500 miles!

Grateful for any advice or tips, thanks guys.[/quote]

Hi m8 we all have to start somewhere,not having the greatest knoledge of engines is not a crime,describing your faults is spot on.
As for the gearbox crunching it sounds to me like a clutch problem~when you release the clutch to pull off how far up the pedal release b4 it bites? "engauges drive."I suspect its near the bottom am I right?

The other problems you memtion may be related to this~please reply to how far b4 biting point is reached

aircon will put a load onto the engine so if you have naff plugs will cause stuttering~when were your sparkplugs last rerplaced?

your answere to the above needed for further advise.

Jeff
Mr Fusion
Hey Jeff, thanks for replying.

I don't know when the spark plugs were last changed. I had a silver service done at a proper Ford dealership in Kent late last year but I don't think they changed the plugs. Do you reckon replacing them would improve the performance? I was wondering if there might be a problem with the lambda sensor, and if so, how you would go about testing it.

The clutch biting point is actually quite high up the travel of the pedal, I don't have to press it down far to disengage it. If I'm driving along I only have to press the clutch in a tiny bit for it to start 'disconnecting' from the power. At first I thought this was a bad thing but a mate of mine has said the clutch is usually only a problem when you find yourself having to push the pedal all the way down. I've noticed that every now and then (particularly if I'm in stop-start traffic) that it will occasionally shift into second quite slickly and without a problem, and then go back to how it was again immediately after. Is it possible the synchromesh has been damaged?

Cheers,

Chris

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.