Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THE Fiesta Detailing Thread
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Detailing your Ford
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Bashful
I'm quite happy with the Red Mist - at least it's quick, spray on and buff off. In this weather I need something quick!
WelshAde
thanks guys, i'll give the red mist a go next i think.
greenymk7
Like dan said i have used red mist in the past and its been great but i prefer not to use it in the winter. I use chemical guys QD which is awesome stuff and pretty cheap. If you do use red mist make sure u dont put it on your windscreen as it will cause smearing from the wiper blades

for anyone wanting to do their windows this spring i will highly recommend nanolex urban glass sealent. Most test have said that it will last up to 8 months at a time. I will finally do a full write up of my spring detail when i get the change sometime in march
andrew43
i found poorboys spray & gloss was great on my panther black st500
titanium_s_spec
well this afternoon i took my wheels of and cleaned them with g101 in the inner rim wow that stuff shifts some muck then polised them and then another 3 cotes of poorbouys wheel stuff
Gazjs
This has probably been asked before but i cannot find the answer through the many pages.
As a paint cleaner before waxing and machine polishing, lime prime, or lime prime lite?
thesilverfox
[quote name='Gazjs' date='28 February 2010 - 11:12 PM' timestamp='1267398137' post='68017']
This has probably been asked before but i cannot find the answer through the many pages.
As a paint cleaner before waxing and machine polishing, lime prime, or lime prime lite?
[/quote]

I use Lime Prime FOR machine polishing :) (after multiple cleans and clay)
Gazjs
Interesting.
Thanks, will go ahead and buy some to replace my rather crappy Megs paint cleaner
thesilverfox
[quote name='Gazjs' date='28 February 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1267398667' post='68023']
Interesting.
Thanks, will go ahead and buy some to replace my rather crappy Megs paint cleaner
[/quote]

After a two-bucket method clean (often twice), a decent clay clean and another proper clean, the pain should be glass smooth for an orbital polish. I spent the weekend doing my father's 1999 Focus Zetec and I have to say I am gobsmacked at how well it has finished.
Gazjs
I have the Sonus kit. Would you recommend Lime Prime as a good substitute or good to use both products?
greenymk7
Lime prime for machine, lime prime lite for hand. Dont use it every week aswell. If lime prime dries to fast when its warm then add a tiny bit of water to your pad
WelshAde
Do dodo make a window cleaner spray? im after one that you spray on from the bottle, dont want one that you have to mix yourself really
greenymk7
no they don't currently.

the best one iv ever used was nanolex. you have to do a little bit of prep but it stays on the glass for up to 8 months.

can buy it from monzacarcare
lmclaney
I'm looking to give my new car it's first wash this weekend. Are any of these products good?

1 x RB Merino Wash Mitt
1 x RB Marvel Waffle Weave Drying Towel (Single towel)
1 x RB Marvel Microfibre Buffing Towels (2pk)
1 x Bilt-Hamber Auto-wash 300ml
1 x Bilt-Hamber Auto-clay Regular 200g
1 x Bilt-Hamber Auto-balm 300ml

http://www.carnaubawaxshop.co.uk/shop/viewproduct.php?product_id=94

Dodo Juice Purple Haze

http://www.carnaubawaxshop.co.uk/dodo-juice-purple-haze.html

Do I need anything else? I don't have a hose or pressure washer, would I need one or is a bucket fine?
DanGull
Does the Bilt-hamber clay come with lube? You need some if not...

Bilt-Hamber is highly rated, I am yet to have a go on any of their products, but looks a good list. Greeny is your man on Bilt-Hamber.

Purple Haze though is my favourite wax ever :lol:
lmclaney
I'm not sure about the lube, it's part of a bundle which you can see in the link. Good to know you approve of the Purple Haze ;)
Bashful
Bilt Hamber claims you don't need lube, tap water is sufficient.
Gazjs
[quote name='Bashful' date='09 March 2010 - 11:51 PM' timestamp='1268178091' post='70129']
Bilt Hamber claims you don't need lube, tap water is sufficient.
[/quote]
Agree, I have been looking into this clay as my next purchase. Reviews are indeed good.
greenymk7
correct you can use it with just tap water but i wouldnt recommend it. i normally use a very diluted born slippy mix with mine.

if its the first time u have ever clayed the car then go for the regular if its one that u want to use more often go for the soft.

they are by far the best clays i have used
Michael P
When i get paid, i finally need to replenish my stocks. This look any good? (excuse the spacings)

Dodo Juice 'Born to be Mild' Shampoo 250ml

I4D Uber Lime Ultra Fine Detailing Clay

Tropi-care TC-3 'Sunburst' Sealant xP

Tropi-care TC-5 Premium Detail Spray

I4D Uber Blue Drying Towel 24" x 36"

Ford Owners Club Discount
Subtotal 26.24
Shipping (Parcelforce Express 48) 5.95
VAT 5.62
Total 37.81

Never tried out the tropi-care stuff, anyone tried/got any opinions???

Cheers :)
Michael P
[quote name='Gazjs' date='28 February 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1267398667' post='68023']
Interesting.
[/quote]

Is it the megs paint cleanser you're on about? i think it's dead good! Never used anything else mind...
Gazjs
[quote name='Michael P' date='16 March 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1268776267' post='71979']
Is it the megs paint cleanser you're on about? i think it's dead good! Never used anything else mind...
[/quote]
Yeah, I have used it a few times, used to think it was good but i reckon i could get the surface even better prepared :P
Out of my Megs kit I only really use there shampoo and tyre gel.
Gazjs
[quote name='Michael P' date='16 March 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1268774738' post='71967']
When i get paid, i finally need to replenish my stocks. This look any good? (excuse the spacings)

Dodo Juice 'Born to be Mild' Shampoo 250ml

I4D Uber Lime Ultra Fine Detailing Clay

Tropi-care TC-3 'Sunburst' Sealant xP

Tropi-care TC-5 Premium Detail Spray

I4D Uber Blue Drying Towel 24" x 36"

Ford Owners Club Discount
Subtotal 26.24
Shipping (Parcelforce Express 48) 5.95
VAT 5.62
Total 37.81

Never tried out the tropi-care stuff, anyone tried/got any opinions???

Cheers :)
[/quote]
May I recommend some 3M Car Wash Soap. I see I4D are getting it in stock. Great shampoo :D
Michael P
Cheers :) just had a look at it :)

Born to be mild is soo good and it's lasted me months, dare i be unfaithful?!
Gazjs
If it makes a difference in your decision, 3M smells of cherry but also the container is pretty crappy for pouring as it is veeeery runny and just pours out like water.
Michael P
[quote name='Gazjs' date='16 March 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1268781590' post='72001']
If it makes a difference in your decision, 3M smells of cherry but also the container is pretty crappy for pouring as it is veeeery runny and just pours out like water.
[/quote]

Hmm, pouring like water cannot be a good thing....choices choices!!
thesilverfox
The 3M stuff is a third of the price of the DoDo Juice. I know what I'll be trying next.

FWIW, 3M have free delivery from their own site at the moment.
Michael P
[quote name='thesilverfox' date='16 March 2010 - 11:44 PM' timestamp='1268782442' post='72012']
The 3M stuff is a third of the price of the DoDo Juice. I know what I'll be trying next.

FWIW, 3M have free delivery from their own site at the moment.
[/quote]

Cheers for that :)
Michael P
Also i have lots of microfibre cloths and the foam pad things that could do with a wash, how would i go about doing this ?? :)
Gazjs
[quote name='Michael P' date='16 March 2010 - 11:49 PM' timestamp='1268782748' post='72014']
Also i have lots of microfibre cloths and the foam pad things that could do with a wash, how would i go about doing this ?? :)
[/quote]
I use pink Woolite for my microfibres and usually just buy new pads/applicators but i imagine fairy liquid would do the trick if well rinsed out.
thesilverfox
I shove stuff in the washing machine at 40 degrees, making sure NOT to use fabric softener.
Magenta
[quote name='DanGull' date='06 September 2009 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1252246283' post='41886']
By the American stuff - you probably mean Meguairs. They make several good products - the only two I use myself are the NXT metal polish and their excellent tyre dressing. If Halfords still have their 3 for 2 on, it's worth picking some products up in there and then finding the rest from an online detailing supplier such as I4D, Ultimate Finish or Clean Your Car.

Megs gold class wash has good reviews generally and so does their clay kit. However - things like their paint cleansing system and polishes seem to be out performed by other (and cheaper) brands.

As greeny says - it's all down to budget really. A comprehensive detailing set up can pass 500 easy, but at the same time the basics can be had for 100.

Absolute essentials as far as I'm concerned -

High quality shampoo (Dodo Born to be Mild or Sour Pour or Supernatural, Megs Gold Class or similar)
Microfibre or lambswool washmitt (Dodo Wookie's fist or my favourite - the Megs microfibre mitt)
Large drying towel (Dodo Supernatural, Sonus or similar)
Good hard wax (Autoglym High Def, the relevant Dodo wax based on your car's colour, or Dodo Supernatural all spring to mind)
Tyre dressing (Megs or Blackfire)
A good number of decent microfibre cloths
A few foam applicators

Then to be considered -

Snow foam lance and foam for a pressure washer
Two buckets - both with grit guards
Citrus prewash
Wheel cleaner (ACID FREE - Bilberry or AG Customer wheel cleaner for example)
All purpose cleaner (Megs' is great)
Degreaser/machine cleaner (Megs again, Autoglym works ok)
Detailing clay (Sonus green or Dodo Supernatural) and lube (Dodo Born Slippy)
Paint cleanser/primer (Dodo Lime Prime)
Quick detailer (Dodo Red Mist, Megs Last Touch)
Machine polisher
[/quote]

Excuse my ignorance but what is detailing clay ? To my horror I have acquired a couple of stone chips on the bonnet of my year-old Fiesta (Hot Magenta) and want to know the best way to deal with them other than taking the car into Fords bodyshop. Advice appreciated.
greenymk7
personally i would leave stone ships to the experts, you can get touch up sticks but they don't always match well.

A detailing clay is something you use to take sandy deposits out of the cars paint work. used with a lubricant it will make your paintwork feel perfectly smooth before putting any wax or sealant on the car
Tyrefryer
[quote name='Magenta' date='17 March 2010 - 09:15 AM' timestamp='1268813126' post='72026']
Excuse my ignorance but what is detailing clay ?
[/quote]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI[/media]
Michael P
[quote name='Gazjs' date='16 March 2010 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1268783252' post='72015']
I use pink Woolite for my microfibres and usually just buy new pads/applicators but i imagine fairy liquid would do the trick if well rinsed out.
[/quote]

[quote name='thesilverfox' date='17 March 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1268785818' post='72021']
I shove stuff in the washing machine at 40 degrees, making sure NOT to use fabric softener.
[/quote]

Cheers mateys :)
aph1101
Hi all,

Couple of things....first of all, got out of the car today to take the L plates off and on the bonnet, to my horror, I found that my idiot of a cat had taken it upon himself to jump onto the bonnet the previous night and scratch the bonnet to hell :angry: It's not [i]that[/i] bad but there are at least 3 or 4 medium to light scratches of about 2-4 inches each on the bonnet.

I am absolutely gutted to find the first damage to the car after spending so much time protecting, and taking care of it. Needless to say, I would like to get rid of the scratches as much as possible. It isn't worth a machine polisher, so I thought about getting some lime prime. However, when looking on I4D I saw words like micro-abrasive and that scared me somewhat. After all that wordy garbage, I was wondering whether I could do more damage than good with lime prime and whether LP lite would be better.

I also want to re-stock myself for the easter detail so would like to use the lime prime (lite) on the rest of the car as a cleanser/wax stripper.

Second of all, I would like to run by you all my list of prospective goodies:

I4D Tyre gloss - has anyone got any experience of this?

I4D MF Cloths 12x

I4D drying towel

DJ Lime prime (lite?)

Apologies for the wordiness of my post and any answers would be appreciated :D
Michael P
[quote name='aph1101' date='18 March 2010 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1268939135' post='72324']
Needless to say, I would like to get rid of the scratches as much as possible.
[/quote]

Shoot the cat?? :ph34r:
thesilverfox
[quote name='Michael P' date='19 March 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1268957202' post='72378']
[/quote]

Trim its claws ... shouldn't scratch surfaces, unless the cat thinks it's slipping (quite possible on a shining car)
Michael P
[quote name='thesilverfox' date='19 March 2010 - 01:11 AM' timestamp='1268960517' post='72388']
Trim its claws ... shouldn't scratch surfaces, unless the cat thinks it's slipping (quite possible on a shining car)
[/quote]

Failing that, a paraplegic cat must be just a little bit funny.

OR you could try....no, i'm no good at useful advise.
aph1101
[quote name='Michael P' date='19 March 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1268957202' post='72378']
[/quote]

Bloody tempted last night :lol:
Gazjs
Well today I went upto Halfords for some shampoo that I didnt think I needed :lol:

I ended up buying some Zymol and I have to say it is really good stuff, much better than I though it would be. Lovely coconut smell to it aswell. Bubbled up very well and there were even suds left in the bucket at the end of the wash, sheeted off the car perfectly and lifted everything I needed it to.

While I was getting this I noticed that there was a 3 for 2 offer on. Now my mum owns a taxi and i never have enough time to give it a good wax without it needing to go out. So i bought some AG Aqua Wax not expecting much at all really, and WOW, this stuff really does the trick for a quick protection. I had applied some hard candy to the bonnet just last week so i tested the beading and sheeting difference and to be honest i could see no difference in beading or sheeting! i suppose durability will allow the hard candy to be the winner though.

To finish off the 3 for 2 i got some AG vinyl and rubber care which i have yet to try out.
AQUA WAX BEADING ..
[img]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu340/Gazjs/Aquawax.jpg[/img]

HARD CANDY BEADING ..
[img]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu340/Gazjs/Photo057.jpg[/img]

End result of clean ..
[img]http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu340/Gazjs/Taxi.jpg[/img]
Amie07
[quote name='aph1101' date='19 March 2010 - 05:36 PM' timestamp='1269019569' post='72522']
Bloody tempted last night :lol:
[/quote]

A few days after getting my new car next doors cat took a fancy to it and decided it would make a nice new seat, luckilly i spotted him and went out and lifted him off so gently even though i felt like throwing him off (and i'm a vegetarian and cat lover!) Strangely he never ever sat on my old scratched to bits fiesta tho! :o
aph1101
Thanks to Michael P, I've decided to buy my first clay. I've already decided on the lube, but am not sure really which clay to get. At the moment, I am veering towards [url="http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/I4D_Uber_Lime_Clay_Bar_1.html#aI4DULC"]I4D Uber Lime Ultra Fine Detailing Clay[/url] . For a 4 or 5 month old car with 6k miles on it, would this be a reasonable clay to get?

Torque
Sonus Ultra fine detailing clay is all that I've ever used and [url="http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/sonus-sfx-ultra-fine-detailing-clay-sampler/prod_83.html"]this[/url] sampler kit will give you a good taster.

Re the lube; when you rinse off your wash don't dry it go straight to claying and then the water acts as a lube, you may need a little bit for areas that have dried out but you'll save quite a bit :)

A place that I've just started using and I'd like to mention to fellow detailers out there [url="http://www.performancemotorcare.com/"]this place[/url]; excellent service, quick, free delivery and order complete.
Gazjs
Does anyone know of any other good detailing websites apart from the following

CYC
I4D
The Ultimate Finish

In a bit of a situation when i am having to use all three to complete my list of products and i am not keen on 3 lots of postage :lol:

I4D is where most of my stuff is coming from with TUF providing my BH Auto clay and CYC my CG new look trim gel.
aph1101
[quote name='Gazjs' date='21 March 2010 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1269177594' post='72912']

CYC
I4D
The Ultimate Finish

In a bit of a situation when i am having to use all three to complete my list of products and i am not keen on 3 lots of postage :lol:

I4D is where most of my stuff is coming from with TUF providing my BH Auto clay and CYC my CG new look trim gel.
[/quote]

If you're a member of detailing world forums, they have a section for approved detailers, and there is a list on there of websites such as CYC and I4D and there are reviews/praise (or otherwise) for each trader. Hope that helps :D

Linky: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29
Torque
[quote name='Gazjs' date='21 March 2010 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1269177594' post='72912']

CYC
I4D
The Ultimate Finish

[/quote]

[url="http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php"]Detailing World[/url]
[url="http://www.touchuppaint.co.uk/store/index.php"]Autobright, although not strictly a forum[/url]
[url="http://forums.finalinspection.com.au/"]Detail addiction[/url]
[url="http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/index.php"]Motorgeek, not a forum but some good guides and some items that you'll struggle to find elsewhere[/url]
[url="http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/index.html"]Polished Bliss, blog / guides / products[/url]
pouly
[quote name='Amie07' date='19 March 2010 - 06:06 PM' timestamp='1269021362' post='72535']
A few days after getting my new car next doors cat took a fancy to it and decided it would make a nice new seat, luckilly i spotted him and went out and lifted him off so gently even though i felt like throwing him off (and i'm a vegetarian and cat lover!) Strangely he never ever sat on my old scratched to bits fiesta tho! [img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif[/img]
[/quote]

you lucky girl i had next doors cat jump off my garage roof and put 2 tram lines the full length of my roof [img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif[/img]
Strutter
Hello, quick question for yas.
As recommened here I got the meguires gold shampoo and then waxed a layer of auto glym super resin, then on top of that a layer of the high definition stuff.
Question is how long should that last on it? Also seeing as the dirt just lifts off now, is their a way to remove the dirt to quickly clean it up again, without removing the wax too much?
Gazjs
[quote name='Strutter' date='27 March 2010 - 01:07 PM' timestamp='1269694638' post='74325']
Hello, quick question for yas.
As recommened here I got the meguires gold shampoo and then waxed a layer of auto glym super resin, then on top of that a layer of the high definition stuff.
Question is how long should that last on it? Also seeing as the dirt just lifts off now, is their a way to remove the dirt to quickly clean it up again, without removing the wax too much?
[/quote]
The AG High Def should last a good few months. You will notice when it is starting to remove as the water will not beed or sheet as easy.
Meguiars Gold Class will not affect the Wax so dont worry about how much you wash it :P

Full Colour Version: THE Fiesta Detailing Thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.