Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THE Fiesta Detailing Thread
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Detailing your Ford
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
DanGull
Oh and as for your mitt - you don't have to use it as a mitt, I hold mine like a sponge - it's the mf pile that is the important bit.
greenymk7
http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/category_s/20.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=20&show=15&page=2

have a look at this page, the Chemical Guys miracle dryer is great and you can get a mini miracle dryer if you like.
mitch84
[quote name='DanGull' date='27 August 2010 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1282908267' post='94841']
Oh and as for your mitt - you don't have to use it as a mitt, I hold mine like a sponge - it's the mf pile that is the important bit.
[/quote]

wicked , good idea , ive always found it weird dipping my hand completly into the bucket of water
mitch84
Is there anywhere on the highstreet that i can get a good drying towel?

i like the towels mentioned but would prefer to get from the highstreet if possible?

thanks
Rogue_Shadow
Hey Guys

I've been offline for ages sorting out Job stuff.
But I want to start a new wash collection, Get rid of the starter kits and buy a few new waxes, drying towels, microfibers and applicators.

My normal clean is,
Wash using cheap shampoo using two bucket method
Drying towel
AG SRP
AG Mirror shine wax
-Done -
It was ok to start with, but the Wax I use was a pain to get off.

So I need some new products.
I was thinking

Meguiars gold class Shampoo (With two buckets)
Need a New drying towel as my current one has picked up sand which cant be removed :angry:
Stick with the SRP
Which wax should I use. AG HD WAX or push the boat out for some Dodo?

Any suggestions would be brilliant! :rolleyes:
DanGull
I wouldn't go for Megs Gold Class - Hyperwash is better value and a better product, but (surprise surprise, I know) Dodo Born to be Mild kills both of them dead.

Autoglym High Def is an excellent wax and will compete with the Dodos quite nicely. I shouldn't do this - but I have a nearly full tub of AG High Def for sale if you're interested - PM me if so. I've been meaning to stick a thread in Buy and Sell for ages. I'm downsizing my collection as its got utterly silly!
WelshAde
do any of you guys use a dyson handheld for hoovering your cars?
I have a bit of a problem getting the hoover to the car where i live so
was contemplating buying one soon
mitch84
hi guys

I here a lot of people mentioning waxing there cars , when i got my car i got the super gard protection offered to me really cheap so i had it done. I think i read that with this you dont need to wax you car for at least 1 or 2 years (cant remember which)

Is this correct ?

thanks
DanGull
Super Guard is one of a number of different 'dealer treatments' which while the products in themselves are ok there are so many variables you can never be sure how much protection they are offering a car.

They are basically synthetic sealants applied by the dealer - different from waxes only in the sense that waxes are (usually) a product based on natural ingredients. Sealants come as pastes, liquids, sprays and other forms.

Now, I am a fan of sealants - I use FK1000P all the time as a wheel sealant and have also been known to use it on paint. I use Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection in parallel with waxes. So, a sealant CAN offer good protection.

Now for the bad bit - Superguard/Diamondbrite and the rest of them are dealer applied - meaning that you never know what kind of job has been one. If it's applied badly, it's pretty much worthless, and chances are it will have been applied by the 50p a car Saturday morning teenager most dealers seem to employ.

Also - a well applied coat of FK1000P - an extremely durable sealant - will be lucky to be protecting the car after 6 months, so I find it highly unlikely that a dealer applied coat of something less good than FK1000P will last two years.

So what do I suggest? Well, as I have in the past said to others I say get it off (if there's anything left anyway - unlikely) and start again. If it were me I'd use a strong All Purpose Cleaner Solution - Daisy from Tesco is cheap and effective and then clay the car to remove the last of it. If you don't want to invest in the products, you could use a Fairy Liquid wash to the same effect but the detergents in Fairy are harsh for a car. After that, buy a good quality wax and apply it thinly. A good quality wax (something by Dodo, Autoglym High Definition or similar) can easily last 6 months if washed a ph neutral wax friendly car shampoo - and you can see it working from the water beading and sheeting on the surface, so you know when it's time to reapply.

Have a look in the detailing section for my detailing guide - it's a good place to start.
mitch84
thanks by the way is i4detailing website anygood for there service , im thinking about getting a drying towel from them but im not sure what there like?
DanGull
Matt - who runs i4D is a very decent bloke and often sends out free samples in addition to what you order. I have always had outstanding service.
aph1101
[quote name='DanGull' date='30 August 2010 - 03:40 PM' timestamp='1283178608' post='95276']
Matt - who runs i4D is a very decent bloke and often sends out free samples in addition to what you order. I have always had outstanding service.
[/quote]

+1

Never had anything but excellent service from him. A bonus is that you get some bubble gum in every order :lol:
Gazjs
No complaints about I4D :D
ozzrahog
[quote name='Gazjs' date='30 August 2010 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1283182528' post='95284']
No complaints about I4D :D
[/quote]

Hi new here and looking for advice

picking up my new fester titanium in sea grey in a couple of weeks or so, have skip read this thread but can you give me or point me to an idiots guide to looking after the paint job

thanks in anticipation
DanGull
See this thread...

[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8406"]My Detailing Guide[/url]

:)
greenymk7
Hi Ozzrahog,

Not sure how much you are wanting to spend so lets just go over the main things that you should be looking for....

1 - 2 Buckets with grit guards, you should always wash your car with 2 buckets (1 for shampoo and 1 for clean warm water) the grit guards will also stop the sand and dirt getting back onto your mitt.

2 - a good microfibre or lambs wool wash mitt, this will also keep swirling down to a minimum.

3 - a good shampoo. Dodo Juice Born to be mild or Dodo juice Sour power are the favourites on here i think. Chemical guys Glossworkz is also very good.

4 - a big and decent drying towel. Again the Chemical Guys miracle dryer is great as is the I4D Uber blue.

5 - Wax or Sealent. You will get lots of difference advice on this but i would buy 2 things. Dodo blue velvet & FK1000P. They work well together and the FK will keep you going through winter.

Thats what you should probs start out on if you havent done much before. If you want to go further then i would think about these....

5 - A good clay bar & lube. I would recommend Bilt Hamber autoclay all day long as a lube dodo juice born slippy does the trick there.

6 - A good wheel cleaner. Bilberry wheel cleaner is very good and the one to go for.

7 - Surface prep. Alot of people use Dodo Juice Lime Prime and it is very good. there are plenty of others out there that would help.

8 - Wheel Sealent. its always a good idea to slea your wheel before winter comes along. FK1000P will double up as a wheel sealent.

9 - Tire Black - just makes it look that little bit better. all pretty much the same really but Megs Gel is good enough.

There are lots of other things you could go for which you will see if you read the thread. Hopefully that will get you started and keep you going for a while.
mitch84
hi

could anyone reccomend me a alloy wheel brush from i4detailing to go with the bilbery wheel cleaner?

thanks

*also after ive sprayed the alloy wheels with the bilbery cleaner and cleaned with a brush do i then just rinse off with water and dry with say a microfibre cloth?

thanks
greenymk7
http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/EZ_Detail_Brush_2.html

this is the most useful one i find
mitch84
[quote name='greenymk7' date='31 August 2010 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1283267515' post='95380']
http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/EZ_Detail_Brush_2.html

this is the most useful one i find
[/quote]

cheers i may pop down to halfords for a brush to see if they have any good ones?
Gazjs
[quote name='mitch84' date='31 August 2010 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1283267890' post='95382']
cheers i may pop down to halfords for a brush to see if they have any good ones?
[/quote]
Halfords sell a similiar brush to the one Greeny posted. Its made by Meguiars, should set you back about 10-15
mitch84
has anyone used monza car care before ? , i see they also have a ebay store

thanks
Rogue_Shadow
Thought Id share a bargain

Was looking around for Autoglym HD wax

Best price I could find was 34.99 on Cleanyourcar.com

Then I found this
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120613135423&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123"]Link[/url]

HD Wax = 25.99 + Free delivery

around 10 saving once you calculate the posting cost from CYC.com :lol:
mitch84
hi guys

will have some dodo juice born to be mild shampoo arriving soon hopfully , just wondered how much i should use in a bucket of water? (does it say on the container or would a cap full be fine?

thanks
greenymk7
I cant remember the actual dilution rate for BTBM but it will say on the bottle.

Also Monza Car Care are a very good company as well, very quick delivery normally.
mitch84
[quote name='greenymk7' date='01 September 2010 - 11:41 AM' timestamp='1283337070' post='95494']
I cant remember the actual dilution rate for BTBM but it will say on the bottle.

Also Monza Car Care are a very good company as well, very quick delivery normally.
[/quote]

great thanks , one more thing will the foam sprayer head be ideal for the bilbery wheel cleaner or would the normal acid resistent sprayer head be ok, as im getting a handi hold bottle but unsure what sprayer head to get?
Gazjs
[quote name='mitch84' date='01 September 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1283337810' post='95496']
great thanks , one more thing will the foam sprayer head be ideal for the bilbery wheel cleaner or would the normal acid resistent sprayer head be ok, as im getting a handi hold bottle but unsure what sprayer head to get?
[/quote]
I use the chemical resistant head and have no problems :)
aph1101
[quote name='mitch84' date='01 September 2010 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1283336702' post='95492']
hi guys

will have some dodo juice born to be mild shampoo arriving soon hopfully , just wondered how much i should use in a bucket of water? (does it say on the container or would a cap full be fine?

thanks
[/quote]

It does say on the packet, but about 2-3 capfulls in a bucket is what you need.

To your bilberry question, I also use a chemical resistant sprayer. :D
mitch84
[quote name='aph1101' date='01 September 2010 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1283368064' post='95589']
It does say on the packet, but about 2-3 capfulls in a bucket is what you need.

To your bilberry question, I also use a chemical resistant sprayer. :D
[/quote]

thats good then as i ordered the chemical resistent head sprayer and then relised some people use the foam head sprayer.

Does it spray ok?

cheers

*one more thing*

anyone used autoglym fast glass ,thinking about trying it instead of the meguires nxt glass cleaner as its a little cheaper ?
Gazjs
I use Meg's NXT Gen glass cleaner and when I went to replace Halfords only had AG Fast Glass. I bought this, tried it, and swiftly moved it into the reject pile. Its cheaper for a reason IMO
AG Car Glass Polish however, is a very good product :)
ozzrahog
So i assume a dash of "morrisons" own brand car shampoo a spunge then a blast of turtle wax with an old t shirt is not the way to go
Gazjs
[quote name='ozzrahog' date='02 September 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1283383801' post='95630']
So i assume a dash of "morrisons" own brand car shampoo a spunge then a blast of turtle wax with an old t shirt is not the way to go
[/quote]
In short ..... No :lol:
mitch84
[quote name='Gazjs' date='01 September 2010 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1283378952' post='95623']
I use Meg's NXT Gen glass cleaner and when I went to replace Halfords only had AG Fast Glass. I bought this, tried it, and swiftly moved it into the reject pile. Its cheaper for a reason IMO
AG Car Glass Polish however, is a very good product :)
[/quote]

i cant find the meguiars nxt glass cleaner anywhere near me at halfords , there all sold out.

cleanyourcar.co.uk do it but ive no idea what there like?

proberly will get off the internet as i want a alloy wheel brush (ez detail one)
greenymk7
Cleanyourcar.co.uk are also very good.

You will earn credits everytime you buy something from there which will give you money off on next purchases
ozzrahog
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated

A few points I am not sure on

Would you use a wax and then a sealant eg AG HD wax and then AG Extra Gloss Protection or is it a case of use one or the other

Some people have suggested sticking to products from one manufacturer to enhance results rather than mix products from several manufactures, any thoughts?

Cheers
greenymk7
Sealent before wax everytime but u can use either or aswell.

I would say it doesnt matter on one brand of products. Its mainly finding out a combination that suites you and your car really
mitch84
got all my stuff from i4detailing today ,brilliant service from them!

i have a question about the bilbery wheel cleaner, Ive got the handi-bottle from them and will want to fill that up with the bilbery. My wheels dont get that dirty apart from mainly break dust so i will dilute proberly at 1:5 ?

If i fill my sprayer up with this dilution rate does that mean i would put about 5 small cups of water in the bottle and 1 small cup of the bilbery?

thanks
MarkyR
I need to ask (again) cause I've forgotten, but what shampoo can I use to strip my old wax off with?
Will either of these do it?

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Dodo_Juice_Supernatural_Shampoo_1.html
http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Valet_PRO_Concentrated_Car_Shampoo_1Litre_1.html
http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Meguiars_Shampoo_Plus_3.html

Also do I need to clay the car? I did it last time but it seemed to do bugger all? It would not remove all these tar spots the car has. I plan to use that tar removal stuff you guys recommended, the one that comes in the big can Tardis?, is it safe to use all over the rear quarter panels?
Gazjs
Clay will remove any old wax, although depending on when you last waxed its prob all gone anyway. Tardis is correct yes, a very good tar remover. Will be perfectly safe as long as not left on the body for too long :)
MarkyR
[quote name='Gazjs' date='04 September 2010 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1283594394' post='95906']
Clay will remove any old wax, although depending on when you last waxed its prob all gone anyway. Tardis is correct yes, a very good tar remover. Will be perfectly safe as long as not left on the body for too long :)
[/quote]

I have the Sonus green with the Dodo lubricant, and the Wax I use is Dod Juice Purple Haze Pro. Last did it about 3 months ish ago. I would like to be able to wash it off if possible?
greenymk7
best bet would be to get a pre wash.

if you have a pressure washer and foam lance you can do it through that. have a look at Megs APC and Bilt Hamber Surfex HD both will strip the wax off for you no problem.
greenymk7
Right so today i decided to give my wheels a detail before next weekends full detail before autumn and winter appear.

As you can see from the photo below the front wheels started out in a bad way.

[IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n78/greeny2k6/IMG_0235copy.jpg[/IMG]

I tried using bilberry on it own to shift it all but it didnt get everything off so i used surfex HD and some tardis to shift the stuff on the back

[IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n78/greeny2k6/IMG_0236copy.jpg[/IMG]

moving onto the front of the wheels, this was fairly easy as i only needed bilberry to shift most of the brake dust. A couple of places needed some tardis where the dust had stained the wheels.

[IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n78/greeny2k6/IMG_0239copy.jpg[/IMG]

Gave them a good wash down with a stream of water to get all bilberry off, then dried with a microfibre cloth

[IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n78/greeny2k6/IMG_0240copy.jpg[/IMG]

once dried i moved onto sealing the wheels front and back with FK1000P. I gave the backs 2 coats and the fronts 3.

[IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n78/greeny2k6/IMG_0241copy.jpg[/IMG]

Allowed the FK to haze for 10 mins

[IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n78/greeny2k6/IMG_0242copy.jpg[/IMG]

A quick buff off with a plush microfibre and they are all done

[IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n78/greeny2k6/IMG_0243copy.jpg[/IMG]

Next up for everyone is a quick detail of the inside during the week before i move onto the big job next weekend :D
aph1101
Nice... I enjoyed watching/reading that :) It's a bit like something off detailing world!
MarkyR
[quote name='greenymk7' date='04 September 2010 - 07:35 PM' timestamp='1283624749' post='95961']
best bet would be to get a pre wash.

if you have a pressure washer and foam lance you can do it through that. have a look at Megs APC and Bilt Hamber Surfex HD both will strip the wax off for you no problem.
[/quote]

No I don't have a foam lance. My little pressure washer is alright but it was a none make one from Focus. I plan to get a Karcher next year as they are a lot more compatible with add ons. I think the Megs will do me, that's the one I was trying to remember haha. Hmm, after what I said maybe I could use the clay, is the Sonus good enough to rub the wax off?
Also how much of my wax per coat should I use to keeo it going through winter as the next 3 months it will be December!! Mind you we may get a good couple of day's then haha.
sussex
used prima banana gloss recently, unimpressed with it.

back to the dodo
Gazjs
Could everyone who has a foam lance please list the pro's and con's please.
Gazjs
Nice work Greeny. I see you applied FK to the wheels, how do you compare this to Poorboys?
aph1101
[quote name='Gazjs' date='05 September 2010 - 12:29 PM' timestamp='1283685578' post='96009']
Could everyone who has a foam lance please list the pro's and con's please.
[/quote]

[b]Pros[/b]
- Easy to use
- Fun to use
- Makes the 2BM wash easier in my opinion
- Good results
- 5l of foam solution lasts ages
- The bit which attaches to the PW is built really well

[b]Cons[/b]
- Expensive to buy in the first place
- Makes the whole process longer (by adding a stage)
- The plastic bottle you get with it is pretty flimsy so it needs storing carefully
Gazjs
Thanks, where about do you use it? I would be using mine on a driveway of monoblock and am wondering about staining etc?
aph1101
I use it on a tarmac drive and it doesn't leave any staining. If you just put water on the foam residue on the ground, it goes right away. I would imagine you'll be fine on a block pave drive.
ozzrahog
This thread has been so informative, thanks guys.

Next question what do you guys recommend for looking after the interior cloth/leather/plastics

Full Colour Version: THE Fiesta Detailing Thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.