Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cam belt
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
hubballi
I have only recently acquired my 1999 focus which has only done 76K miles. This afternoon there was a flapping noise and then the engine cut out while I was on the M6. The breakdown guy told us it sounds like the cam belt but he didn't have the tools to look inside. He said it's a major job but he siad that there is no oil in the engine.

The reason for this (and you may have read my older post) is the oil light has been flickering on and off intermittently. 2 months ago our friend we bought it off changed the oil so it couldn't be that there is no oil already and there have been no leaks. The petrol gauge has also been jumping up and down in different places so I guessed it must be dogey electrics. I did check the oil at that time and it seemed fine.

We stopped pretty much straight away when this flapping noise happened so hopefuly there will be no damage. There was no sign of burning from the engine or smell so hopeful the oil isn't an issue just yet.

We won't know what the damage is until it has been looked at. Has anyone here had a similar experience and if so, what did it cost ?

Thanks.
mintalkin
if there is no oil in the engine some thing could have seized up causing the belt to break, without further investigation it hard to say the cost of repair.
hubballi
[quote name='mintalkin' post='43783' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:47 AM']if there is no oil in the engine some thing could have seized up causing the belt to break, without further investigation it hard to say the cost of repair.[/quote]

Hopefully it isn't too serious as there was no burning smell or black smoke.
hubballi
If the worst case scenario is the ceased engine, how much could I get a used/reconditioned engine for ?
stef123
2 months ago our friend we bought it off changed the oil so it couldn't be that there is no oil already and there have been no leaks.

you would be suprised at how much oil and engine can go through even with no visible leaks.

if its the cambelt thats snapped then expect to pay atleast 600. there will be bent valves etc.
if its seized due to no oil then a second hand engine is probably your only hope, not sure what you would pay for it though. at a guess 800 quid as there will be alot of labour involved in fitting it.
hubballi
[quote name='stef123' post='43797' date='Sep 21 2009, 11:54 AM']2 months ago our friend we bought it off changed the oil so it couldn't be that there is no oil already and there have been no leaks.

you would be suprised at how much oil and engine can go through even with no visible leaks.

if its the cambelt thats snapped then expect to pay atleast 600. there will be bent valves etc.
if its seized due to no oil then a second hand engine is probably your only hope, not sure what you would pay for it though. at a guess 800 quid as there will be alot of labour involved in fitting it.[/quote]

Garage told me they will do a free compression test to see what damage is before proceeding. They would fit an engine for no more than 200-250. It's my best option I suppose if it's ceased.

I have had quotes for engines and my best one is 515 incl vat for a 44k engine guaranteed.
stef123
[quote name='hubballi' post='43800' date='Sep 21 2009, 12:15 PM']Garage told me they will do a free compression test to see what damage is before proceeding. They would fit an engine for no more than 200-250. It's my best option I suppose if it's ceased.

I have had quotes for engines and my best one is 515 incl vat for a 44k engine guaranteed.[/quote]

well i wasnt too far off with a guess of 800 quid. if you do get a recon engine, make sure the garage replace the timing belt and tensioner.
SuperSpecST
Deffo, much easier to fit a cambelt and tensioner while engine is out.
artscot79
[quote name='SuperSpecST' post='44042' date='Sep 23 2009, 04:29 PM']Deffo, much easier to fit a cambelt and tensioner while engine is out.[/quote]
the change interval was 100k or 10 years if youres is a 1999 and its 2009 then you needed to have the belt changed and should have been done when you bought it i would have insisted on it being done youre mate probably knew this when he sold it to you if he changed the oil and theres no oil you would have had oil in coolant or out the exhaust with that much oil gone or he didnt doi the oil change right
hubballi
No, the oil wasn't burning as exhaust was clean.

Had engine fitted from a 33k focus. Runs ok except had to top the oil and power steering fluid up but the mechanic did warn me to keep an eye on this. He also fitted a new clutch as well as belt. All for 760 including labor which is very good. Its the same 1.6 Zetec engine but it seems to use a lot more fuel than the last. Thats my only concern.

Full Colour Version: Cam belt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.