Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil warning light
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
FocusTDDI
Not sure what's causing this. Oil light on my 01 1.8 tddi had started to flicker a few days ago so topped up with a litre of 5w30, now light is starting to stay on when engine is warmed up, halfway mark on temp gauge. Driving home tonight I noticed the engine seemed a little more "ticky" than usual and when I pulled up I gave it a good rev and a LOT of black smoke poured out the pipe. Please tell me this is something simple like a pressure switch and not a dead/dying engine. Car has 115,000 on the clock and has been pretty good up to now.
FocusTDDI
Anyone?
FocusTDDI
Okay, it's not the pressure switch, put a new one in and light is still flickering, so any ideas would be much appreciated
mintalkin
is your oil level ok? if your oil is disapearing along with black smoke your engine could be burning it. sounds like a head gasket or valve guides problem.
FocusTDDI
No the oil level is okay, but now the oil light is staying on yet there's no knocking from the engine. Mechanic has told me 30+ for a diagnostic test, pressure test I assume. Put some engine flush through but no luck there.
mintalkin
when did the car last have an oil change, as a clogged oil filter could cause the light or even the pump starting to give up.
hubballi
This happened to me a few weeks ago resulting in cam belt going and having to have another engine. In future I won't ignore the light.
chris26
[quote name='hubballi' post='47824' date='Nov 1 2009, 01:01 AM']This happened to me a few weeks ago resulting in cam belt going and having to have another engine. In future I won't ignore the light.[/quote]

Iv'e had the same proplem i changed the oil/filter job done
stef123
i would get the engine tested, make sure you are getting good oil pressure. could be a failing pump?

Full Colour Version: Oil warning light
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615