Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Known rust problems on mk2 Focus front wheel arches
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
catch
But Ford deny there is an issue or a fix.

OK as they say a picture paints a thousand words

The Mk2 Focus front wheel arch rust problem Honest John mentions in his review of same, exposed in all its GORY

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/NSFWA-1.jpg[/img]

So folks, get those front wheel arch plastic water deflectors off and check you wheel arches now. Or remain ignorant, and just keep polishing the shiny bits, remedial work now will save you a packet later.

Here is the crap that "can" build up, and as you can see although the road is dry the crap is damp.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/VF053.jpg[/img]
that's because the waterproof outer cover of the preformed sponge blocking ment to stop water and mud ingress into the wing proper can get torn when being installed. Thus soaking up water when it rains, and then acting as a reservoir keeping the crap damp. I could wring water out of the pictured item. I dried it out with a hairdryer and sealed the tear, and give it a good bollop of underseal for good measure when it was in situ.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/VF041.jpg[/img]

Ford have applied a protective coating to the underside of the subframe. But it should have been applied further up the sills IMHO. Because with the absence of mudflaps, the tyres throw road grit onto the underside of the sill. This acts like a shot blasting process, which over time will strip it back to bare metal
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/VF046.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/wingjointsill.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/d.jpg[/img]

Now the front wheel arch protectors, fit behind the turned edge of the front wings nearest the road surface. [ignore the hap hazard rust treatment I attempted with the wheel arch protectors still in place]
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/VF035.jpg[/img]

Now after I treated the rust properly by removing the protectors, I refit them in front of the outside edge of the wing where it is nearest the road surface. And I then fit Ford mudflaps, that way no rubbish or water can be driven in behind the wing from the tyres where they meet the road, directly in front of the rear of the wheel arch opening. And I also back filled the joint where the mudflaps meet that wheel arch protector with underseal.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/US014.jpg[/img]

So hopefully any water ingress that gets behind the wheel arch protectors , should be able to just run down the inside of the wing and drain out off the lip at the base of the wing. Instead of a dam building up of mud and road debris inside the wing.

After treating rusted areas of the underside of the sills, I masked off 5cm up the underside of the sills from the subframe and undersealed them. The higher up the sill you protect it the better, so go higher than 5cm if you want. I used underseal because I happened to have a tin of it in my garage. That was two weeks ago, and they are now ready for undercoating then top coating to the cars finished colour when the weather permits. I'd rather have used the protective stuff used on the underside of the subframe, but I don't know what it is called, so I just used the underseal.But I would suggest you use that stuff if you can source it. And do post the name of the stuff if you find out what it is called.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/US018.jpg[/img]

Edit: all that said, the other front wheel arch was comparatively clean, with no torn preformed blocking piece. But the under sill still suffered from shotblasting the paint surface, and hence rusting on the wheel arch lip and underside.
[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/VF040.jpg[/img]
The rear wheel arches where again comparatively clean. Plus the rear wheels throw the road grit onto the non metal rear bumper, so no chance of that rusting. But again you do get some rusting on the rear wing where it turns in at the base of the wheel arch opening.
artscot79
strangely was only a problem on the facelift models the original mk1 with the plastic side skirts and no water deflectors never had this issue though fords have always been bad for rust, even with there galvanised biody galvanized my rear end they all suffer front and rear wheel arch rust as well as the lowers of the rear doors
H3lly
Good tip OP, I have a mk1 and another family member has a mk2 foci. I will have to check this out for them.
catch
[quote name='artscot79' post='48414' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:37 PM']strangely was only a problem on the facelift models the original mk1 with the plastic side skirts and no water deflectors never had this issue though fords have always been bad for rust, even with there galvanised biody galvanized my rear end they all suffer front and rear wheel arch rust as well as the lowers of the rear doors[/quote]

Before this did

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/MiniCooperA.jpg[/img]

this on 30th December 2008

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/FocusB.jpg[/img]

The only sign of rust we had on our 2 month short of 10 year old mk1 Focus 1.8 Zetec was a paint bubble on the top of a rear wheel arch. Mind you when I bought it at six years old, it had mud flaps all round, down to one on the FNS by the time of the accident. So in that respect Ford appear to be going backwards in the rust stakes with the Focus mk2

Looking at it, here on the Ford Dealer forecourt it looks virtually in mint condition body wise.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/Focus-1.jpg[/IMG]

It's only when you give them a more detailed inspection do you see all is not as it appears. No need to get down on your knees for an initial inspection of your car. Just use a digital camera and upload to your PC.
artscot79
strangely all cars ive had had rust problems with the wheel arch covers on the ones that didnt were fine ide say as youve stated the water gets trapped behind the cover leading to rust waxoyl based underseal is the better choice my mk1 is lagered in it underneath ive not put any wheel arch covers on as i dont want to give the rust demon anywhere to set up camp the rally style flaps look a bit better
Moe
Thankyou for posting that...I feel your pain with this and I think there is an issue!
As I haven't got the skills or time to fix it myself, I've just spent several hundred getting my Mk2 Focus treated for rust at the sills in exactly the same place. As with your car, the debri from the road sandblasted the weak paint away - I noticed it when I was cleaning it and a flake the size of a cornflake came away. I spoke to Bristol Street Ford about it, but because I'm the car's 2nd owner, they near enough to told me to F*ck off. Previous owner had not done the log book paint stamps either (which was also my fault apparently). I tried arguing that a 5 year old car should not be rusting like that, but they really weren't interested. Since this I've been taking a close look at MK2s: Some of them now have the non-standard mud flaps fitted like ours, but most are beginning to rust at the arches. There was a blue one (with the same problem) queuing behind mine in the paint shop!!
Slightly newer ones with the plastic trim shielding them might get away with it, but I think there could be a lot of rusty MK2 Foci around soon. This is a shame for an otherwise good car that is too young to die from silly avoidable rust problems like that!!
I've attached pics of the dodgy areas on my car....

starfield
does Ford sell mudflaps that goes with the mark 2? If so how much?

My one have got the plastic strip shield (56 reg) but it is only at the bottom of the sill. Does the mudlflap offer better protection?
thesilverfox
[quote name='starfield' date='16 April 2010 - 10:17 AM' timestamp='1271408829' post='78002']
does Ford sell mudflaps that goes with the mark 2? If so how much?

My one have got the plastic strip shield (56 reg) but it is only at the bottom of the sill. Does the mudlflap offer better protection?
[/quote]

Yes. Get the mudflaps if you can - I did, and it was the best move I made! Dead easy to fit and save the car a lot more than you might first expect. I'm amazed mudflaps are optional on new cars still.
artscot79
[quote name='thesilverfox' date='16 April 2010 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1271411109' post='78007']
Yes. Get the mudflaps if you can - I did, and it was the best move I made! Dead easy to fit and save the car a lot more than you might first expect. I'm amazed mudflaps are optional on new cars still.
[/quote]

i have to agree 100 % i fitted flaps front and rear and its saved a lot of heartache with the old paint chip demons i have not had a spot in 6 months so im well chuffed ebay do genuine ford flaps from ford allen parts etc for the mk2 thay arent exactly cheap but far cheaper than resprays and fixing rust 2 times ayear i would remove mine and brush a layer of clear waxoyl on the backside where the plastic meets tyhe apintwork after cleaning any crud off gives peace of mind that its well protected for me and waxoyl is only 6/7 quid for a small brushable tin i also do the insides of the arches where they are exposed as well
coll247
it looks a lot better than it did has anyone used shultz for under neath the car ive bought a gun but just waiting for some nice weather
artscot79
[quote name='coll247' date='17 April 2010 - 12:44 AM' timestamp='1271460845' post='78110']
it looks a lot better than it did has anyone used shultz for under neath the car ive bought a gun but just waiting for some nice weather
[/quote]

usethe one with waxoyl and underseal combined brilliant stuff though werar old clothes and gloves its a nitemare to get out when it gets on ure hands use white spirit it ciomes off easy fairly easy really start at the front work youre way back avoid the exhaust but try to get into all the nooks and crannies put old sheets down before you start it will drip everywhere
coll247
thanx for that ive used underseal before and thats hard to get off your hands
catch
Moe it's nice to hear people coming back and saying an article has been of some use to them. Kinda makes the time spent putting it together worth while.

Yes your flaking looked really bad, hope it's all sorted now. Even the fix Ford had done on later MK2's I don't think it goes up the sill high enough. The MK1 was a far better set up.

As you can see on my pics I painted a coat of under seal on the lower section of the sill because I had it in my garage. But it flakes off when hit by small stones, so that is not a permanent fix.
artscot79
[quote name='catch' date='17 April 2010 - 06:47 PM' timestamp='1271525870' post='78160']
Moe it's nice to hear people coming back and saying an article has been of some use to them. Kinda makes the time spent putting it together worth while.

Yes your flaking looked really bad, hope it's all sorted now. Even the fix Ford had done on later MK2's I don't think it goes up the sill high enough. The MK1 was a far better set up.

As you can see on my pics I painted a coat of under seal on the lower section of the sill because I had it in my garage. But it flakes off when hit by small stones, so that is not a permanent fix.
[/quote]

i dont know if the skirts are available for youre car but its certainly worth having along with th eflaps as it totally protects that whole area and the whole sill as well maybe worth considering getting some if they are available and fitting them
catch
[quote name='artscot79' date='17 April 2010 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1271527013' post='78164']
i dont know if the skirts are available for youre car but its certainly worth having along with th eflaps as it totally protects that whole area and the whole sill as well maybe worth considering getting some if they are available and fitting them
[/quote]

as the MK2 is longer than the MK1 I doubt the would be a straight fit. I'm thinking of applying that stone-chip coating....when I get around to it.
artscot79
[quote name='catch' date='17 April 2010 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1271532881' post='78176']
as the MK2 is longer than the MK1 I doubt the would be a straight fit. I'm thinking of applying that stone-chip coating....when I get around to it.
[/quote]

i there should be skirts for the mk2 i would think stone chip doesnt really work to be honest if its taking the underseal off it will do the same with the stone chip tried it on my old hyundai
catch
[quote name='artscot79' date='17 April 2010 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1271535055' post='78183']
i there should be skirts for the mk2 i would think stone chip doesnt really work to be honest if its taking the underseal off it will do the same with the stone chip tried it on my old hyundai
[/quote]

I have seen something something similar on the lower section of the sills on Honda Jazz's and on a small Rover 51 plate. I both instances finished of with the top colour coat.

I'll get some piccies
artscot79
[quote name='catch' date='18 April 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1271584836' post='78227']
I have seen something something similar on the lower section of the sills on Honda Jazz's and on a small Rover 51 plate. I both instances finished of with the top colour coat.

I'll get some piccies
[/quote]

its okay my sis has a jazz and i had a look from asking around it has 2 coats of dinitrol then its painted with 3 coats of stonechip then 2 primer 2 top coat and 2 laquer though as my mate at the bodyshop said its cheaper and easier to fit skirts but if you wish to go down that route of stonechip cure any rust or chips first ansd slightly wet and dry the area before applying the stone chip and put at least 2 coats on before primer topcoat etc which will be fine on the sills but will not work on the arches as it will raise the paint higher than the standard paint
catch
here you go:

51 plate small Rover.

So given this is on a 9 year old car, that has had no remedial paint work done [I know the owner, who has had it from new, and their other car is a brand new 10 Jag] So its the everyday runabout with circa 50k on the clock.

First picture is the underside of the car [you can just see the bottom edge of the sill at the top of the picture]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/Stonechipcoating004.jpg[/IMG]

Second picture is the sill proper.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/Stonechipcoating001.jpg[/IMG]

Third picture is the sill and front wing.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/Stonechipcoating003.jpg[/IMG]

I think on that evidence whatever it is that is applied, it is definitely doing the job.

Next question is, what is it?
catch
[quote name='artscot79' date='18 April 2010 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1271587904' post='78238']
its okay my sis has a jazz and i had a look from asking around it has 2 coats of dinitrol then its painted with 3 coats of stonechip then 2 primer 2 top coat and 2 laquer though as my mate at the bodyshop said its cheaper and easier to fit skirts but if you wish to go down that route of stonechip cure any rust or chips first ansd slightly wet and dry the area before applying the stone chip and put at least 2 coats on before primer topcoat etc which will be fine on the sills but will not work on the arches as it will raise the paint higher than the standard paint
[/quote]

cheers mate,

I reckon it's the depth of the application that is important as well as "keying" prior to application. Hence I think that is why one thin coat of under seal does not work. Can StoneChip be applied by brush?

thanks
Moe
[quote name='catch' date='17 April 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1271525870' post='78160']

[/quote]

Thanks catch.
In a way I was sort of relieved to find other Foci had this - I was beginning to think mine was a one-off cut 'n' shut with dodgy paint or something!
I agree - Ford's MK2 fix doesn't look like its going to give enough coverage, full on mud flaps are definitely a better option. I've warned colleagues at work who have MK2s with the standard fix and think their gonna be okay.
Paints all sorted now thanks - I'll post a picture of it (once I've got round to cleaning it again!)
Moe
All repaired - looking sweet again!

:)
thesilverfox
Now, I was looking at my car and noticed that I have a plastic trim all the way down the edges of my car ... is this perhaps the fix that Ford supposedly put in place? You can see it in this image.

[img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5121/spa0193yz5.jpg[/img]
catch
[quote name='thesilverfox' date='26 April 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1272313345' post='79532']
Now, I was looking at my car and noticed that I have a plastic trim all the way down the edges of my car ... is this perhaps the fix that Ford supposedly put in place? You can see it in this image.

[img]http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5121/spa0193yz5.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Yes that is the fix
thesilverfox
[quote name='catch' date='26 April 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1272317355' post='79542']
Yes that is the fix
[/quote]

So shouldn't Ford be retro-fitting this to everyone's Focus? Forgive my numptiness and all that :lol:
catch
[quote name='Moe' date='26 April 2010 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1272313073' post='79530']
All repaired - looking sweet again!

:)
[/quote]

yes looking nice Moe, back to how it was when it was new.That said, I would have also gone for the "Stonechip" coating whilst it was in the paint shop prior to applying the top coat finish. But now you have the mudflaps on just see how it goes on.

I applied a single coat of Hammerite under seal with added waxoyl six months back [because I had an un used tin of the stuff in the garage. And I've just applied another thicker coat on top of it on Saturday. Because I thought sod it I'm not spending any extra cash on it, nor I'm I over coating it with undercoat and top coat. The coat I applied six months ago has held up very well, just one little dink out of it down to the sill paint [but un marked] Must admit the major damaged that went down to the metal was that bottom underside of the front wings and the leading front edge of the sills, where they butt up to the front wings. And fitting the front mudflaps appears to have sorted that problem out. I'll revisit it in a year and see how its fairing. And as I'm not over coating it with the top coat [not seen] its not a big job applying another coat [ plenty left in the tin]
catch
[quote name='thesilverfox' date='26 April 2010 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1272318251' post='79546']
So shouldn't Ford be retro-fitting this to everyone's Focus? Forgive my numptiness and all that :lol:
[/quote]

apparently not, when I asked two Ford garages about "the fix" as Honest John put it in his review of the MK2. Both denied any knowledge of it.Obviously it was not seen as a safety fix, or a component fix, so it must have been deemed to be an upgrade [
at owners expense I presume] :rolleyes:
thesilverfox
[quote name='catch' date='26 April 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1272319508' post='79550']
apparently not, when I asked two Ford garages about "the fix" as Honest John put it in his review of the MK2. Both denied any knowledge of it.Obviously it was not seen as a safety fix, or a component fix, so it must have been deemed to be an upgrade [
at owners expense I presume] :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Does ETIS have any outstanding recalls on your particular car (i.e. the washer jets for petrol et al)? Seems a little outrageous to me! Has anyone else got this 'fix' as well, or is it quite hard to come by? And are Ford asking silly money?

I'd be tempted to question it with Ford head office to be honest!
catch
[quote name='thesilverfox' date='26 April 2010 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1272319717' post='79552']
Does ETIS have any outstanding recalls on your particular car (i.e. the washer jets for petrol et al)? Seems a little outrageous to me! Has anyone else got this 'fix' as well, or is it quite hard to come by? And are Ford asking silly money?

I'd be tempted to question it with Ford head office to be honest!
[/quote]

"Outstanding Field Service Actions
No Campaign Message(s) found"

So there's the answer. One of the Ford garages I asked about it was the main dealer I bought it from prior to I picked it up. Like I say as far as Ford it's a none issue. Yes I'm sure they would retro fit at customer expense. With the four bits needed [2x wing 2 x sill] plus fixings your looking at just over 100 in parts + fitting
thesilverfox
[quote name='catch' date='26 April 2010 - 11:27 PM' timestamp='1272320263' post='79553']
"Outstanding Field Service Actions
No Campaign Message(s) found"

So there's the answer. One of the Ford garages I asked about it was the main dealer I bought it from prior to I picked it up. Like I say as far as Ford it's a none issue. Yes I'm sure they would retro fit at customer expense. With the four bits needed [2x wing 2 x sill] plus fixings your looking at just over 100 in parts + fitting
[/quote]

That's a bit naughty in my personal opinion. It seems slightly contrary to me that some models received the protection and others didn't - almost like Ford recognised the issue but are not acknowledging it! Poor effort.
catch
[quote name='thesilverfox' date='26 April 2010 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1272320736' post='79558']
That's a bit naughty in my personal opinion. It seems slightly contrary to me that some models received the protection and others didn't - almost like Ford recognised the issue but are not acknowledging it! Poor effort.
[/quote]
Totally agree mate, but that's how it works. I suppose that's the risk you take buying the first couple of builds of a new model. But it's not rocket science is it, road grit being fired at the underside of the sills........Anyhow sunny morning here, so whacked another coat of underseal on the sills, five minutes masking tape, five minutes applying seal, couple of minutes cleaning brush....sorted :)

Ps: nice wheels mate where they on the motor when you bought it ? what have you got again ?
thesilverfox
Thanks! Yes, they were on there when I bought it. It's a 2007 MKII 1.8 TDCi Titanium, but with pretty much all option packs, including the touch screen satnav, heated leather etc - it was a Ford demonstrator unit!

The wheels are Ford 18/225/40 7-spokes; anthracite with a diamond cut rim, manufactured by Ronal (who make arguably some of the best alloys in the world). Annoyingly though, these are scuffed and a repair estimate for diamond cut alloys is enough to make your eyes water.

So I am happy to have scuffs and a £470 fatter wallet ... !

Glad you've got yours sealed again - hopefully it will do the trick. Annoying that Ford paint is now quite thin and weak. I added mud-flaps to mine on top of the sill protection, simply because I was fed up of spraying dirt :)
jeebowhite
Silverfox, thanks to your picture of your wheel, I put the photo on my phone, took it out, and found I seem to have the same fix!

Should I trust they have fixed it or should I check for rust?
thesilverfox
[quote name='jeebowhite' date='02 May 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1272800920' post='80326']
Silverfox, thanks to your picture of your wheel, I put the photo on my phone, took it out, and found I seem to have the same fix!

Should I trust they have fixed it or should I check for rust?
[/quote]

Still have a check - it could have been put on afterwards, i.e., over a repair/rust. It's unlikely, but it would give you piece of mind. I would also consider the fitting of mudflaps, depending of course, on how long you intend to keep the car etc. That photo was before I bought the car - it's now got the flaps on it. It looks quite smart on my car, but that's mainly because the grey trims offset Sea Grey nicely imo!

[img]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8528/img0010pj.jpg[/img]
jeebowhite
Yeah my car came with the same mudflaps, but I am looking to change them to the rally flap types, so its always had them, I will have to try and wait for the time and the dry weather to take it apart...
hawker
I fitted mine over the weekend. Cost me £48 for the 4.

Looks much nicer in my opinion, and practical too (although not quite as important to fit them on mine as I have the 2006 model which have the plastic trims along the sills)

Thanks for the heads up on this catch. I wouldn't have done this if I hadn't seen this thread ;) although the missus is not best pleased with me spending another £48! :lol:
catch
[quote name='hawker' date='04 May 2010 - 09:41 AM' timestamp='1272961869' post='80612']
I fitted mine over the weekend. Cost me 48 for the 4.

Looks much nicer in my opinion, and practical too (although not quite as important to fit them on mine as I have the 2006 model which have the plastic trims along the sills)

Thanks for the heads up on this catch. I wouldn't have done this if I hadn't seen this thread ;) although the missus is not best pleased with me spending another 48! :lol:
[/quote]

Women what are they like ;)..........to be honest mine doesn't mind what I spend on the car [within reason]

Yes your motor is post "the fix" mentioned in the Honest John review, but that said adding the mudflaps can only make it better regards grit being thrown up. Besides any remedial work undertaken by a body shop on rusting, that is prevented by the mudflaps, would cost hundreds of pounds, so just tell her that........... :rolleyes:

Glad to be of assistance mate.
suz
Hi all

Thank you so much for this thread and the advise, I will be getting the mud flaps fitted and looking in to the skirts too

Love my Focus and would like to not lose it to rust

Suz
catch
Well worth it Suz, even if you just opt for the flaps.
Xenoous
Hi just stumbled upon this searching for this issue and am horrified to find it such a common problem, yet when I went down the ford dealership and contronted them they said i was crazy! It this an easy fix? I need to do it myself. I also have a little rust on the rear wheel arch where the bumber meets the arch. Im disgusted with ford but love my focus. I hope I can get this done for a reasonable price, my cars also sea grey, seeing that I think ill be getting the flaps too.

I just noticed this threads dead! Maybe if i bring it back to life?!
catch
Easy to do DIY fix once you realise there is that problem with the early Mk2 builds [2005 possibly early 2006 registered motors]

Here we are over two years on from when I did the fix, now I did give it another coat of underseal a year on [10 minute job, after you have masked of the top edge with decorators masking tape, to ensure you have a nice straight edge finish] That way it just built up the thickness of the underseal coat meaning it withstands impact better from stones being fired up on to it by the tyres.

So a time proven fix costing little money. Think on the important bit is to make sure you have killed the rust prior to coating it with the underseal or what ever you decide on using as the protective coating.
artscot79
If you dont want to lose it to rust then in addition remove the rear wheel arch liners and get the metal coated in underseal then get some thin rubber tube slice it down the middle on one side and feed it over the arch liner where it touches the metal around the arch this stops the soakin wet carpet stuff siting against the metal and rotting it
Xenoous
Is killing the rust as simple as getting some wet and dry and rust kill paint? The rear im going to get done by a body shop as i simply dont have the expertise to key in the paint, the wheel arches i will do myself if its as simple as this. I removed a load of wet dirt yesterday from the rear of the front wing. fun times!

Thank you so much for the replies, this thread even though old it may be, was a fantastic help and glad (in some respects anyway) to find out im not alone with this.
artscot79
All u need is hammeritmd kurust and the wet and dry curust will turn the rust back to solid metal fords are the worst galvanised cars i had a ten year old punto that was galvanised and had no rust
Xenoous
Guessing you was a little bit drunk there ^^

So.
- Wet and dry
- Hammerite Kurust
- 2 coats of Hammerite

Then fit mud guards?
artscot79
Nah nightshift had 11 hours sleep in the last 3 days. Wet and dry the area then apply the kurust and allow half an hour to dry it will turn from white to black prime then paint.

Theres various methods to doing this if youre going to laquer the area its best to do it before the top coats fully dry
catch
Xenoous,

I used Hammeright Kurust, and all I will say to you is this, do not be tempted to rush the job. Neutralisation of the rust is the most important part of the process. Everything else is reliant on that part of the process being done correctly.

Read and [b]follow to the letter[/b] the instructions written on the tin. Manufactures do much research into application of their products, and nobody knows it better than them. Total satisfaction is their aim, because if it fails to do what it says on the tin, you are less likely to trust any of their products ever again, and hence less likely to support their brands in the future.

If it says : Leave 24 hours after application prior to applying under or top coats, then do as it says.

On a side note, I've just retired and as the wife is still working, I've taken over the cooking duties. The wife says she is amazed at how I've taken to it and how good my cooking is..........

Like the theme of this thread, cooking like most things in life, it's all about ingredients, timings and temperatures. And once again recipe book instructions and manufactures product preparation instructions are the result of many hours of testing to come up with the best results for the job in hand.........ignore at you peril.
Xenoous
Haha thank you Catch & artscot. Nice comparison there ^^ I shall get the kurust and follow everything step by step. I want to save my wallet not watch money fly away. I was gutted when a bodyshop quoted me £1000 and I will do anything to get out of paying anything near that amount.

I'll upload pictures later of both front arches and the slight bubbling on the rear, see what you think.

On a (kind of) sidenot, the comments from your wife did make me chuckle!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.