Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket sunroof - good or bad idea?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford KA / StreetKA Club
Mothy
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2001 Ka Collection for my daughter. It has an aftermarket sunroof fitted - just a glass flap manual thing. Is this a good idea i.e. will the strength of the car be compromised by this? The PO had a couple of windscreens go, one after the other. Could be nothing to do with the sunroof but made me think..

Also the clutch is slow to engage. Doesn't seem to slip. However the clutch will be replaced before purchase. Anything in particular I should look for when the work is done?

Appreciate your help.....
Jcoventry
I'd be worried about the usual problems that come with having a sunroof. Leaks, bad seals. Squeaking/vibrating noises. Pointless feature when you can have air conditioning, if you want my opinion. :)
Mothy
[quote name='Jcoventry' post='50918' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:42 PM']I'd be worried about the usual problems that come with having a sunroof. Leaks, bad seals. Squeaking/vibrating noises. Pointless feature when you can have air conditioning, if you want my opinion. :)[/quote]

I'm not mad keen on sunroofs either and would prefer not to have one. However there are not many Kas around, daughter wants one badly, and apart from clutch (which is being fixed) and the sunroof (bit difficult to remove :blink: ) this one ain't too bad.
DanGull
[quote name='Mothy' post='51047' date='Nov 28 2009, 08:05 AM']I'm not mad keen on sunroofs either and would prefer not to have one. [b]However there are not many Kas around[/b], daughter wants one badly, and apart from clutch (which is being fixed) and the sunroof (bit difficult to remove :blink: ) this one ain't too bad.[/quote]

Pardon? There are thousands of them around :lol:

I wouldn't go with one with an aftermarket sunroof - speaking as someone who rolled a Mk1 Ka at 60mph and walked away with cuts and bruises, I wouldn't want to do anything to compromise what is a very solid safety cell. As has been said, seals leak and sunroofs get stuck, so it would put me off this one completely.
Mothy
[quote name='DanGull' post='51058' date='Nov 28 2009, 11:27 AM']Pardon? There are thousands of them around :lol:[/quote]

OK, I meant decent second hand ones that aren't full of rust, don't leak or the valve gear doesn't rattle like a can full of nails.. :wacko:
Mothy
Well, we picked the car up this afternoon, aftermarket sunroof and all!! Will have to live with that unnecessary appendage on the basis you're never going to get a car with 100% of what you want (or don't want) on it.

Clutch has been replaced plus a couple of other bits done to it. Can't see any evidence of leaks into the cabin. Steers and brakes straight. Engine is sweet for 65k miles.

Daughter seems pleased. Fingers crossed and touch wood and all that, it seems a reasonable little motor. Hope I'm not back on the forum in a couple of weeks with a horrendous problem.

Thanks for your comments, folks.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.