Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: petrol cap lock
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford KA / StreetKA Club
jocojohn
Hi, we recently bought a 52 plate Ka luxury and on filling up with petrol we discovered the metal lock part of the petrol cap came out with the key. I assume this is not normal. We can still lock the cap but I want to get it fixed. If we got a cap from the scrapyard, what is the procedure for fitting our key barrel into the new cap.

Thanks, John
DanGull
I think I understood your problem - the filler cap and key are supposed to stay connected on the Ka, you can't separate them them while the cap is removed from the car. It's designed to stop you forgetting to put the cap back on, as you can't drive off without your keys.

Or do you mean that the key barrel comes out of the petrol cap itself?
jocojohn
[quote name='DanGull' post='51436' date='Nov 29 2009, 03:00 PM']I think I understood your problem - the filler cap and key are supposed to stay connected on the Ka, you can't separate them them while the cap is removed from the car. It's designed to stop you forgetting to put the cap back on, as you can't drive off without your keys.

Or do you mean that the key barrel comes out of the petrol cap itself?[/quote]

Hi, once you insert the key you can pull the key and the metal lock barrel out together leaving the cap in place. I assume something has broken off and just wondered how to fit the barrel into a new cap,
John
DanGull
Ah ha - sorry, misunderstood. I have no idea how you'd do it, but can't imagine it would be too hard to do.
mintalkin
on the rear of the cap there should be a circlip or some kind of fastning to hold the barrel in place, this is how you replace the barrel if you have problems with the key.the clip has most likly fell off due to someone being heavy handed, see if your local dealer can supply a new clip. another option would be to replace the cap (8 on e bay) but this means you would have a different key for the cap.
jocojohn
[quote name='mintalkin' post='51509' date='Nov 29 2009, 07:06 PM']on the rear of the cap there should be a circlip or some kind of fastning to hold the barrel in place, this is how you replace the barrel if you have problems with the key.the clip has most likly fell off due to someone being heavy handed, see if your local dealer can supply a new clip. another option would be to replace the cap (8 on e bay) but this means you would have a different key for the cap.[/quote]

Thanks for that, if we got one from ebay couldn`t we simply remove the circlip and replace the barrel with the one from ours.

John
Jonny87
Check here:

[url="http://www.petrolcaps.co.uk/shops/sub.asp?iSub=311"]http://www.petrolcaps.co.uk/shops/sub.asp?iSub=311[/url]

I bought I new cap for my old 1998 fiesta from here when I lost a key. They are better than originals, good quality caps, give them a go

Full Colour Version: petrol cap lock
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615