Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running-In Oil?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Maintenance / Servicing / MOT Discussions
Chris Ecc
heyyy
tomorrow I get my new fiesta and am a little confused about the 'running the engine in stage', a bloke I work with says the oil needs changing after 1000miles because all new engines are supplied with running in oil? is this the case and anyone got any advice for running in my engine?

Thanks!
Jcoventry
Advice on this differs very greatly. Some say you should change after 1,000 miles, some say after 3,000/5,000/6,000... Ford says, every year or 12,500 miles, whichever is first. Keep your revs low, use different gears frequently - change up gears a bit early during the run-in period. It is not too critical for new engines, so I wouldn't be worrying about it too much.
jay1981
When I got my car new, I asked if it needed running in. I was told that it didn't need it, and I could drive it as hard as I wanted from day one :o . No need to change oil until 12000 miles or 12 months.
InstructorPiggy
[quote name='jay1981' post='54102' date='Dec 13 2009, 09:06 AM']When I got my car new, I asked if it needed running in. I was told that it didn't need it, and I could drive it as hard as I wanted from day one :o . No need to change oil until 12000 miles or 12 months.[/quote]

mmmm, duno bout as hard as you want....but the running in oil isn't done anymore, unless your modding, changing things about :)
Chris Ecc
Thanks for clearing that up! :)
fish4tea
[quote name='Chris Ecc' post='54172' date='Dec 13 2009, 04:34 PM']Thanks for clearing that up! :)[/quote]

After rebuilding piston aircraft engines they are always run in on an oil specific for running in,the oil is detergent FREE as this is the main reason for the bores glazing and gives the rings time to bed into a newly honed barrel
We have also done aside by side comparision with synthetic and mineral oils with two zero timed engines and had the oils sent to a lab and found that they are so similar in there wear protection as to not warrant the extra cost and changing the filter twice as often as the oil dramaticlly reduces engine wear and only takes a few minutes to spin a new one on

Full Colour Version: Running-In Oil?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615