Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aligning bonnet
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Nigel S
Hi

Help me please!

I have a 2005 (05 reg) Focus 2.0 Zetec Climate. Unfortunately the bonnet does not sit flush with the wings when it is shut, there is a 1 to 2mm gap. The top end of the bonnet by the windscreen is OK so it looks like the lock mechanism needs adjusting downwards. According to the Haynes manual the mechanism should be adjustable for height (to sort my very problem) using the two securing bolts. However when I took mine off it clearly wasn't adjustable due to the locating pins and lock barrel cable. What am I missing? Do I need to adjust the bar on the bonnet that is held by the lock mechanism?

When I shut the bonnet without the lock in place it all fits perfectly. This proves that the rubber bump stops are in the correct position. There is no sign of mis-alignment on the wings, bumper and headlamps.
InstructorPiggy
Have you had it from new??

Any gaps between the doors?
Nigel S
No I haven't. Just bought it.

The bonnet shuts properly without the lock mechanism so everything lines up properly and yes the door shuts are all straight and true.

The mechanism needs lowering by 2mm. Haynes manual says it should be possible but I cannot see how.
Nigel S
No I haven't. Just bought it.

The bonnet shuts properly without the lock mechanism so everything lines up properly and yes the door shuts are all straight and true.

The mechanism needs lowering by 2mm. Haynes manual says it should be possible but I cannot see how.
InstructorPiggy
[quote name='Nigel S' post='54433' date='Dec 15 2009, 08:12 AM']No I haven't. Just bought it.

The mechanism needs lowering by 2mm. Haynes manual says it should be possible but I cannot see how.[/quote]

Slacken securing bolts, slide mech' down???

All else fails, remove the bolts securing the lock mech, geta round file, and make them oval, giving you the 2mm, then refit. Job done :)
Nigel S
Had a thorough look and despite the comments in the Haynes manaul I see no way of adjusting. The bolt holes will allow it but where the lock cable passes through the slam panel seems to be fixed.
Nigel S
Had a thorough look and despite the comments in the Haynes manaul I see no way of adjusting. The bolt holes will allow it but where the lock cable passes through the slam panel seems to be fixed.

Full Colour Version: Aligning bonnet
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.