Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mondeo 2.0 TDCI...
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
Wozski
Hi Guys/gals

I am afer a new car (second hand) and i have come to the conclusion that it will either be a mondeo 2.0 tdci or a vw passat 1.9 tdi. I have read good things about both but i was just after some help as to why i should get a mondeo rather than a vw. Are the engines as reliable etc and what to look for when buying one.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
eggsy
[quote name='Wozski' post='55642' date='Dec 20 2009, 06:25 PM']Hi Guys/gals

I am afer a new car (second hand) and i have come to the conclusion that it will either be a mondeo 2.0 tdci or a vw passat 1.9 tdi. I have read good things about both but i was just after some help as to why i should get a mondeo rather than a vw. Are the engines as reliable etc and what to look for when buying one.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks[/quote]
Both the cars i was looking at when i changed mine earlier in the year. got the Mondeo in the end only for the fact the Passats were holding there price better. dont think there is a lot to choose between them to be honest. I think the Passat is better looking though.
chris bowman
[quote name='eggsy' post='55655' date='Dec 20 2009, 07:41 PM']Both the cars i was looking at when i changed mine earlier in the year. got the Mondeo in the end only for the fact the Passats were holding there price better. dont think there is a lot to choose between them to be honest. I think the Passat is better looking though.[/quote]

whether u go for the vw or the mondeo try to get a 6 speed box and timming chain rather than belt. i prefer the shape of the passat and it comes in i think 110 bhp or 130 bhp very similar to the mondeo.
Pogo
Ford is probably cheaper on parts and servicing costs, but the build quality of a VW is probably slightly better. I have a 6 speed TDCI 130 Mondeo and it goes and handles really well, and is very quiet on the motorways with a 6 speed 'box
chris bowman
[quote name='Pogo' post='55750' date='Dec 21 2009, 03:16 PM']Ford is probably cheaper on parts and servicing costs, but the build quality of a VW is probably slightly better. I have a 6 speed TDCI 130 Mondeo and it goes and handles really well, and is very quiet on the motorways with a 6 speed 'box[/quote]

wonder if the 6 speed box came from vw when vw owned ford for a while?
InstructorPiggy
don't think so...not a partnership there me don't think...its an Audi development would think!
chris bowman
[quote name='InstructorPiggy' post='55814' date='Dec 21 2009, 05:51 PM']don't think so...not a partnership there me don't think...its an Audi development would think![/quote]
purely out of interest why when ford replaced the tddi with the tdci did they revert to not only replacing the timming belt with a chain but returning to heater plugs. i pick at ure brains with respect
harvyeg77
I thought the VW 6-speed was a Getrag/Gertrag unit.

From recollection, when Ford went form TDDi to TDCi they didn't do away with the timing chain for a belt. The 2.0 on Transits and Mk3 Mondeo's with the TDCi is the same engine as the TDDi (obviously bar the change in the injection system) and has a chain.

Its the Mk4 Mondeo (Mk2 Focus, S-max, C-max, Kuga, Volvo, Peugeot, Citroen) that use the newer PSA derived 2.0 TDCi which uses a belt in place of a the chain.

Happy New Year ;-)
Harvey

Full Colour Version: Mondeo 2.0 TDCI...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.