Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TDCi odd noises on cold starts
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Wibbly
I have a 1.6TDCi with only 4500miles on the clock. I noticed the following on a cold start in the coldest weather recently. Any of this sound familiar? Car starts fine. Then after idling for maybe 10 - 30 secs, I hear the following in various combinations (but not always). All the noises, when they occur, go away after a further 10 - 15 secs or so, never to reoccur until (perhaps) the next totally cold start (after overnight cooling).

1. "Diesel rattle". Well, more of a clatter with a half to one second 'pulsing'. As above, starts a few secs after engine is running. Goes away after a few secs. This may be normal for this engine/a diesel, actually?

2. Air con compressor clutch engangement click/clonk - well it sounds like what I've heard these to be in the past on other cars. But occurs when the aircon is off (aircon light off anyway). Is the compressor engaged even when the light stays off under certain circumstances? Also odd is that I get this engagement clonk two or three times in succession in really cold weather (like it's having a number of 'attempts'). Maybe nothing to do with the aircon. Or maybe a fault with the aircon? Is there anything else on this engine which might sound similar? I think I get this as a single sound when I'm driving away after starting the car at any time. Fan is typically set to 1, and heater control to windscreen+footwell (i.e. NOT defrost postion with def kicks in the aircon and makes the aircon light come on).

3. Something rubbling/loose rattle for a few seconds. I thought it was a belt rubbing on something - nasty harsh even slightly rattly sound - but unlikely a rubbing belt because it too goes away after a few secs, not to re-occur until another very cold start. I even though about a DMF problem, but perhaps unlikely on a new car?

Car is still under warrantly, but as ever I won't get anything sorted unless I can reproduce the problem and they're all esssentially intermittent issues. I have no confidence they'll happen on any particular morning if I leave the car with a dealer overnight. So anyone got any ideas what to consider/where to look?
Bagheera
Well, we all have Fords, and when we buy one, "the audio package" comes as standard. :P

I think the noises you hear, just occur because of cold weather conditions. I drive the same engine you have. For a few weeks, I too felt an annoying noise - like a belt trying to run smoothly but failing to do so - and couldn't identify where and it comes from and even the dealer couldn't help. Then I let it loose and as the climate here turned a bit milder - up to 15-17 degrees C, the noise had gone.
SierraYankee99
1, Normal

2, Normal if you have your blowers on full demist. Fords utilise the aircon when on full demist (even though the lights not on the switch), this clears the windows quicker. Called Quickclear, most confuse the term as meaning its got an heated front windscreen.

3, Not sure, could be a few things. Worth having it looked at for this one.
jay1981
Worth getting looked at I think as my car, 1.8 TDCI, 5000 miles, except for a bit of diesel clatter, sounds no different than usual after a cold start. Was -5 last week.
Dixie2
[quote name='Wibbly' timestamp='1262089541' post='56951']
I have a 1.6TDCi with only 4500miles on the clock. I noticed the following on a cold start in the coldest weather recently. Any of this sound familiar? Car starts fine. Then after idling for maybe 10 - 30 secs, I hear the following in various combinations (but not always). All the noises, when they occur, go away after a further 10 - 15 secs or so, never to reoccur until (perhaps) the next totally cold start (after overnight cooling).

1. "Diesel rattle". Well, more of a clatter with a half to one second 'pulsing'. As above, starts a few secs after engine is running. Goes away after a few secs. This may be normal for this engine/a diesel, actually?

2. Air con compressor clutch engangement click/clonk - well it sounds like what I've heard these to be in the past on other cars. But occurs when the aircon is off (aircon light off anyway). Is the compressor engaged even when the light stays off under certain circumstances? Also odd is that I get this engagement clonk two or three times in succession in really cold weather (like it's having a number of 'attempts'). Maybe nothing to do with the aircon. Or maybe a fault with the aircon? Is there anything else on this engine which might sound similar? I think I get this as a single sound when I'm driving away after starting the car at any time. Fan is typically set to 1, and heater control to windscreen+footwell (i.e. NOT defrost postion with def kicks in the aircon and makes the aircon light come on).

3. Something rubbling/loose rattle for a few seconds. I thought it was a belt rubbing on something - nasty harsh even slightly rattly sound - but unlikely a rubbing belt because it too goes away after a few secs, not to re-occur until another very cold start. I even though about a DMF problem, but perhaps unlikely on a new car?

Car is still under warrantly, but as ever I won't get anything sorted unless I can reproduce the problem and they're all esssentially intermittent issues. I have no confidence they'll happen on any particular morning if I leave the car with a dealer overnight. So anyone got any ideas what to consider/where to look?
[/quote]
Dixie2
Dear Wibbly,I know your scribe was a year ago, but did you get to the bottom of the problem? Because it sounds similar to mine!

As I have a 2008 1.6 Zetec Focus (still under warranty, and it's my 3rd (the first 2 didn't have this below stated function)), and the noise your engine makes under cold conditions you describe (in my case below freezing and the car has been standing outside all night) made me join the club, to maybe help.

Because today I got some good news from my garage, as my Focus played up last winter/year, but they could not detect the problem (short term and disappears after 5-10seconds or so,sometimes less. But in above freezing temps , no noise, not a sausage.
It sounds like/sort of a tin plate cover/shield being struck in synchronization/sympathy to engine revs,or could it be a drive belt (not the normal resonance/sound)and as I say it only lasts a short duration (starting from cold, and if the car is restarted even some time afterwards it's fine, leave it to cool right down in freezing conditions, it's back again.

Being ex vehicles (military) and taught vehicle technology in a college for 3 years, I would like to think that, all I am behind in, is the electronic technology etc, so my garage know me well (12years of buying new Fords from them, a family firm and their great).

I took my Focus back to them yesterday with this noise (the ambient air temperature here near Peterborough is averaging -4 to -7DegC at the moment), and this morning they rung to tell me they heard it and knew what it was, and why it is being caused, (now this below sounds quite feasible to me).

The problem apparently is that UK specification Focus's should not have the "automatic" function (for the front and rear screen electrical heating elements) active or enabled, or more correctly I was told "if a problem occurs like mine then disable it", due to the cold ambient conditions the air temp sensor senses a low temp and the automatic circuit is active, so that when the engine is started, immediately a great load is placed on the alternator (trying to charge up the battery due to just using it for the starter motor and other electrical facilities and the fact the battery a high Potential Difference due to it's temperature(my addition.

Added to that the alternator is also supplying the windscreen front and rear heater electrical elements, the result is a minor slippage in the alternator drive belt (the engine is trying to turn the alternator, and the alternator has a high load on it, that is opposing the drive belt, and a minor slippage occurs, whether its the reducing electrical load on the alternator that stops the slippage, or the slipping belt actually warms up slightly changing (increasing) it's coefficient of friction and that stops it slipping I am not sure, but something to me makes sense.

No problem in warmer ambient conditions, for one the screen electrical heaters don't auto start themselves(ambient air temp too high).The Battery Pd is a great deal lower.

REPAIR BY GARAGE 07/12/10.
The garage simply using a laptop/maybe a Ford computer, went into the screen electrical heater auto function (which was found active/enabled)and disabled it.

They/the manager rang me and said, "once they heard the noise (lasted 5 seconds this time)they (3 of them around the care) knew what it was.
The manager told me there was a Ford TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this which they had sent from Ford's technical dept,and he read it out to me, it stated "that if this event occurs on any UK spec Focus's then disable the function,this function is used in Scandinavian countries, and the Focus specification for there is a larger capacity battery and a larger rated alternator, and the screen(front and rear) electrical heater function is active/enabled with no adverse effects.
The garage left my Focus all day outside after repairing it (and its been - 4 DegC all day) and tonight at 17:30hrs they tried it and no noise at all(it definitely would have made the noise.Picking it up tomorrow, and they said I'm the one starting it from cold, for reassurance, but known them years their good, it's fixed:)

It means if I want the screen heaters on, then I have to move my lazy finger and push the buttons, by that time the engine would have been running a short while, and I'm sure there will be no problem. Oh it's only covered 18,400miles
Regards
Dixie.

Full Colour Version: TDCi odd noises on cold starts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.