Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clicking noise inside the car when turning steering wheel
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Welcome to Ford Owners Club > General Chat
fiesta_lad
Hi all just wondering if any 1 can help me ive got a fiesta 1.3i on a 51 reg endure e engine just been out in the car just then drove about 20miles heared no clicking went around a round about heared liked this clicking noise but it comeing from inside the car when i turn left or right it sounds like 1p coin getting moved around in the steering wheel ive never heared this b4 car got power steering seems to be handing fine any 1 help cheers alan.
InstructorPiggy
just to clarify....

is it just one click as you turn the wheel, a repetitive click as your turning the wheel or click once the wheel is turned and you are moving round the corner?

:)
fiesta_lad
[quote name='InstructorPiggy' post='57600' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:02 PM']just to clarify....

is it just one click as you turn the wheel, a repetitive click as your turning the wheel or click once the wheel is turned and you are moving round the corner?

:)[/quote]

it is repetitive click when iam turning the wheel once and going around round abouts.
InstructorPiggy
[quote name='fiesta_lad' post='57608' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:07 PM']it is repetitive click when iam turning the wheel once and going around round abouts.[/quote]

Thats still don't make sense to me...sorry!....so when turning the steering wheel you here the repetitive click? and it doesnt matter if moving or not?
fiesta_lad
[quote name='InstructorPiggy' post='57617' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:12 PM']Thats still don't make sense to me...sorry!....so when turning the steering wheel you here the repetitive click? and it doesnt matter if moving or not?[/quote]

Sorry i only hear the click whan iam driveing the car but when the car is not moveing i don't hear it hope that helps.
InstructorPiggy
....so when turning the steering wheel you here the repetitive click? and you need to be moving to hear the noise?

what area do you think it sounds like its coming from?
fiesta_lad
[quote name='InstructorPiggy' post='57626' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:20 PM']....so when turning the steering wheel you here the repetitive click? and you need to be moving to hear the noise?

what area do you think it sounds like its coming from?[/quote]

Yeh i hear the repetitive click while turning the steering wheel. and the car needs to be moveing to hear the noise.

It sounds like it comeing from around the steering wheel area and the noise is inside the car.
InstructorPiggy
weird that you need to be moving.

I would say either interference between the back of the steering wheel and the steering column trim or the UJ (or universal joint) which sits near the pedals and allows the steering shaft to bend and turn at the same time before it reaches the rack...give it some oil/lube.

But my bet would be steering wheel rubbing on something....could even be the steering lock on the ignition not completely releasing...or a wire/clip on the steering shaft!
fiesta_lad
[quote name='InstructorPiggy' post='57636' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:29 PM']weird that you need to be moving.

I would say either interference between the back of the steering wheel and the steering column trim or the UJ (or universal joint) which sits near the pedals and allows the steering shaft to bend and turn at the same time before it reaches the rack...give it some oil/lube.

But my bet would be steering wheel rubbing on something....could even be the steering lock on the ignition not completely releasing...or a wire/clip on the steering shaft![/quote]

Right ok so whats the best things to check cheers.
InstructorPiggy
I would suggest removing the steering column covers, top and bottom, then driving and see if its louder...

try going out with someone else, so as you drive, they can have a look and listen :)

but when you remove the covers, look for rubbing damage where they get close to the wheel and then look around the column for anything possibly rubbing or interferring :)
InstructorPiggy
just thought....could be your indicator stalk canceling catch that is broken...the bit that cancels the indicator once gone round a corner!
fiesta_lad
[quote name='InstructorPiggy' post='57643' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:36 PM']just thought....could be your indicator stalk canceling catch that is broken...the bit that cancels the indicator once gone round a corner![/quote]

so it could be something of the indicator stalk thats like snaped and its getting moved around.
InstructorPiggy
[quote name='fiesta_lad' post='57647' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:41 PM']so it could be something of the indicator stalk thats like snaped and its getting moved around.[/quote]

maybe....remove those covers and go drive with someone....

have them have a feel around as your doing it, with using the indicator and not using it....

hold the indicator stalk and you may feel the clicking!

could be so much, so you gota do some testing...unless someone here has had EXACTLY the same fault, gona be the only way to FL :)
fiesta_lad
[quote name='InstructorPiggy' post='57648' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:44 PM']maybe....remove those covers and go drive with someone....

have them have a feel around as your doing it, with using the indicator and not using it....

could be so much, so you gota do some testing...unless someone here has had EXACTLY the same fault, gona be the only way to FL :)[/quote]

ok no worries i hope its notthing thats going to put a hole in my pocket :lol: but i will do the tests tomorrow and get back to you thanks for your help.
InstructorPiggy
can't imagine it be much....look forward to hearing what you find :)
stef123
sorry piggy but...

doesnt sound right LOL
fiesta_lad
[quote name='stef123' post='57652' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:49 PM']sorry piggy but...

doesnt sound right LOL[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
InstructorPiggy
[quote name='stef123' post='57652' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:49 PM']sorry piggy but...

doesnt sound right LOL[/quote]

ok...just got that....easy...down boy!! :lol:
Sean_Chino7
mine clicks too, dont know wats causing it to click/pop. i took the covers off to see if any cables/wires etc were lose but everything seemed normal. and the covers are not catching the steering wheel. also i sprayed some GT85 spray grease into the steering wheel joint bearing thing (where the steering joins/connects to that bearing in order for it to turn) the click/pop disappeared for a week, but now its back again.
fiesta_lad
[quote name='Sean_Chino7' post='60199' date='Jan 16 2010, 12:29 AM']mine clicks too, dont know wats causing it to click/pop. i took the covers off to see if any cables/wires etc were lose but everything seemed normal. and the covers are not catching the steering wheel. also i sprayed some GT85 spray grease into the steering wheel joint bearing thing (where the steering joins/connects to that bearing in order for it to turn) the click/pop disappeared for a week, but now its back again.[/quote]

The noise went when we had the cold snap couldn't hear it now it getting abit warmer its back :lol: like InstructorPiggy said it may be the indicator stalk that snapped inside because ive got to cancel it myself when i turn left but right it cancels it self i have'nt had a look yet with the cold weather but iam liveing with the noise now :lol: and touch wood everything feels ok.
Sean_Chino7
[quote name='fiesta_lad' post='60200' date='Jan 16 2010, 12:44 AM']The noise went when we had the cold snap couldn't hear it now it getting abit warmer its back :lol: like InstructorPiggy said it may be the indicator stalk that snapped inside because ive got to cancel it myself when i turn left but right it cancels it self i have'nt had a look yet with the cold weather but iam liveing with the noise now :lol: and touch wood everything feels ok.[/quote]
ah rite lol. my indicator stalks are working fine and the horn is fine too. the steering wheel works perfectly, just sometimes makes the annoying click/pop. yeah il try to live with the noise, just ignore it init :)
fiesta_lad
[quote name='Sean_Chino7' post='60202' date='Jan 16 2010, 01:00 AM']ah rite lol. my indicator stalks are working fine and the horn is fine too. the steering wheel works perfectly, just sometimes makes the annoying click/pop. yeah il try to live with the noise, just ignore it init :)[/quote]

Turn the tunes up :lol:
artscot79
[quote name='fiesta_lad' date='16 January 2010 - 01:18 AM' timestamp='1263604129' post='60203']
Turn the tunes up [img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif[/img]
[/quote]

seen various fords with this and after a full suspension check nothing nada all joints ball joints drop links everything is fine our mechanics have been stumped one guy was under warranty we replaced most of his suspension didnt fix it ford had it for a week than sent it back saying they couldnt find it

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.