Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cambelt snapped
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
MadMalx
Went to start the Focus this morning and got the clunk-whizz of a failed cambelt! How hard a job is it to fix? It's an 03 1.6 Zetec SE engine, with 58k on the clock - Ford dealer told me the belt would be fine till 100k, even though I had my doubts!
thesilverfox
[quote name='MadMalx' post='60226' date='Jan 16 2010, 10:28 AM']Went to start the Focus this morning and got the clunk-whizz of a failed cambelt! How hard a job is it to fix? It's an 03 1.6 Zetec SE engine, with 58k on the clock - Ford dealer told me the belt would be fine till 100k, even though I had my doubts![/quote]

It's usually a 60k job to be honest, regardless of what dealers suggest. Depending on whether it was a simple fail or a mashed-valves job, it's hard to say without getting someone to look at it properly.
artscot79
[quote name='thesilverfox' post='60230' date='Jan 16 2010, 11:36 AM']It's usually a 60k job to be honest, regardless of what dealers suggest. Depending on whether it was a simple fail or a mashed-valves job, it's hard to say without getting someone to look at it properly.[/quote]

saying that the guys on 58k so its failed befoire its scheduled change ide be tempted to call ford and see what they say you may get it done a lot cheaper as its happened before the 60k mark and well short of the 100k mark get on the blower to youre local dealer
stef123
[quote name='artscot79' post='60296' date='Jan 16 2010, 05:20 PM']saying that the guys on 58k so its failed befoire its scheduled change ide be tempted to call ford and see what they say you may get it done a lot cheaper as its happened before the 60k mark and well short of the 100k mark get on the blower to youre local dealer[/quote]

i suspect the will not be interested unless its got a full ford service history, i know renault are like that.

to be fair, we dont know how the car is used, if its used more around the town than anything else then i would expect it to snap alot earlier than a car that clocks up all its miles on the motorway!

Full Colour Version: Cambelt snapped
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.