Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2001 1.6 Zetec - Idle, Aircon and almost cutting out.
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
maverick1984
Hi guys.

New here so first of all Hello! Sorry my first post is a problem!

I have searched all over the internet and this forum (as well as others) and i was hoping someone could really help me out with a problem i have.

I have just bought this car from a family friend. The car has been sitting on there drive for around 4 months and not being used very much.

The car idles slightly erratic at low revs and it feels like it wants to stall when pulling to junctions/roundabouts/lights etc..(but never does) There is a bubbling / gurgling sound coming from the engine bay which i think is to do with the aircon.

I had a mechanic check this out. He plugged in a diagnostic machine a no faults were registered. He thought that it might be the Idle control valve so he replaced that but it didnt change anything, so he put the old one back in.

I have just serviced it myself - changing plugs, oil and filter and air filter. (the problems were there before the service)

Also if i have the aircon on the car will not over idle, the gurgling sound kind of dissapears and the car doesn't feellike it will stalll.

Please help before i send it to the dealers.
artscot79
[quote name='maverick1984' post='60227' date='Jan 16 2010, 10:30 AM']Hi guys.

I have searched all over the internet and this forum (as well as others) and i was hoping someone could really help me out with a problem i have.

I have just bought this car from a family friend. The car has been sitting on there drive for around 4 months and not being used very much.

The car idles slightly erratic at low revs and it feels like it wants to stall when pulling to junctions/roundabouts/lights etc..(but never does) There is a bubbling / gurgling sound coming from the engine bay which i think is to do with the aircon.

I had a mechanic check this out. He plugged in a diagnostic machine a no faults were registered. He thought that it might be the Idle control valve so he replaced that but it didnt change anything, so he put the old one back in.

I have just serviced it myself - changing plugs, oil and filter and air filter. (the problems were there before the service)

Also if i have the aircon on the car will not over idle, the gurgling sound kind of dissapears and the car doesn't feellike it will stalll.

Please help before i send it to the dealers.[/quote]

first things first do the das trick at the top of the page with the car running check through the menu look at the idle speed and the battery voltage and write it down now go and switch on lights fog lights as much electrics as possible then check the idle speed and battery voltage again these cars dont idle high they idle very low compared to most petrol cars the cars can feel like they are going to stall but the fact they dont suggests its fine check these things and post the numbers up
maverick1984
[quote name='artscot79' post='60232' date='Jan 16 2010, 11:45 AM']first things first do the das trick at the top of the page with the car running check through the menu look at the idle speed and the battery voltage and write it down now go and switch on lights fog lights as much electrics as possible then check the idle speed and battery voltage again these cars dont idle high they idle very low compared to most petrol cars the cars can feel like they are going to stall but the fact they dont suggests its fine check these things and post the numbers up[/quote]

Battery reads 14.5 with nothing on
Battery reads approx 11 with as much electrics on
Revs started between 12-1300 when engine first started but then dropped down to between 6-700 rpm
artscot79
[quote name='maverick1984' post='60261' date='Jan 16 2010, 02:29 PM']Battery reads 14.5 with nothing on
Battery reads approx 11 with as much electrics on
Revs started between 12-1300 when engine first started but then dropped down to between 6-700 rpm[/quote]

the 11 figure is a bit low to be honest you should see 12v or more the revs are about normal try again and go to the voltage check the reading with the engine cold turn all electrics on and see if its the same then give it a rev to 2000rpm the voltage should go way uop to 14v or more if not it could be an alternator issue ive never had a reading that low with headlights main beam indicators front and rear fogs rear heated screen fan on full blast
maverick1984
[quote name='artscot79' post='60292' date='Jan 16 2010, 05:15 PM']the 11 figure is a bit low to be honest you should see 12v or more the revs are about normal try again and go to the voltage check the reading with the engine cold turn all electrics on and see if its the same then give it a rev to 2000rpm the voltage should go way uop to 14v or more if not it could be an alternator issue ive never had a reading that low with headlights main beam indicators front and rear fogs rear heated screen fan on full blast[/quote]

I done what you said and the battery stayed at around 14.I definitly think the "gargling" sound is definitly coming from the aircon but i could be wrong. It sounds like it is coming from 1 of the pipes that runs under the air filter housing (if that makes sense?)
artscot79
[quote name='maverick1984' post='60364' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:52 AM']I done what you said and the battery stayed at around 14.I definitly think the "gargling" sound is definitly coming from the aircon but i could be wrong. It sounds like it is coming from 1 of the pipes that runs under the air filter housing (if that makes sense?)[/quote]

the stumbling is normal as ive said the focus idles quite low giving that stall feel as long as it doesnt stall the cars fine so dont worry about that part its only noticeable with electrics on the gurgling im not sure about it sounds like either its needing the aircon gas topped up or you have a coolant airlock nothing else i know would make that sound unless anyone else has an idea the revs are fine the voltage is fine so forget about the stall effect as ive said all cars do it its just that most cars idle at least 100-150rpm higher than the focus which counteracts this effect the reason it feels different with aiercon on is the engine has to use more revs and power to turn the aircon flywheel i suggest that it may need a refill of gas
TECHY7

TECHY7

Hi,

I'm not sure about the bubbling/gurgling sound, but the rest of your fault description sounds very similar to the problems I was having when my coil first started to break down.
I checked with my fault code reader and I also did resistance readings of the Primary and Secondary windings of the coil, none of which showed up any fault.
The problem was not cleared however until a new coil was fitted.
Hope this may help.

Regards,

Techy7.
maverick1984
Ok i took the car to Ford and they done the following : (Taken from invoice)

Confirmed fault, found emission pipe closing up. Found missing pipe to air box. Renewed Crank case ventilation pipe & fitted Ram air duct to air box.

Now the Gurgling noise has gone away but the car is still self revving - The needle doesn't really move but I can feel it vibrating the car.

I suppose I will just have to deal with that. However I done another dash test to find the Battery volts.

When sitting at idle and with no electrics on the Battery is showing between 14 - 15V. I then turned on all electrics - Lights (Inc Fogs) stereo, aircon, heater blower to max, Rear and front window demist. With all of these on the battery voltage was showing approx 10.5V.

I am not really interested in taking it back to Ford as they have only fixed one of the problems I had.
maverick1984
Ok i took the car to Ford and they done the following : (Taken from invoice)

Confirmed fault, found emission pipe closing up. Found missing pipe to air box. Renewed Crank case ventilation pipe & fitted Ram air duct to air box.

Now the Gurgling noise has gone away but the car is still self revving - The needle doesn't really move but I can feel it vibrating the car.

I suppose I will just have to deal with that. However I done another dash test to find the Battery volts.

When sitting at idle and with no electrics on the Battery is showing between 14 - 15V. I then turned on all electrics - Lights (Inc Fogs) stereo, aircon, heater blower to max, Rear and front window demist. With all of these on the battery voltage was showing approx 10.5V.

I am not really interested in taking it back to Ford as they have only fixed one of the problems I had.
artscot79
[quote name='maverick1984' post='60850' date='Jan 20 2010, 09:19 AM']Ok i took the car to Ford and they done the following : (Taken from invoice)

I am not really interested in taking it back to Ford as they have only fixed one of the problems I had.[/quote]
the stumble is normal thats why they didnt fix it because there was nothing to fix mate so dont throw any more cash at trying to get rid of it youll simply be wasting it if the car is starting and not cutting out at junctions etc its normal as for the voltage you may find that as you rev the car it climbs according to ford as long as its not below 10v its operating correctly you have to remember that its dependant on many things how long the cars been run for last time it was switched off electrolyte temperature so it only gives the battery what its needing with the car stone cold tomorrow youll find that its charging at a higher voltage till alls warmed up
maverick1984
[quote name='TECHY7' post='60589' date='Jan 18 2010, 03:46 PM']Hi,

I'm not sure about the bubbling/gurgling sound, but the rest of your fault description sounds very similar to the problems I was having when my coil first started to break down.
I checked with my fault code reader and I also did resistance readings of the Primary and Secondary windings of the coil, none of which showed up any fault.
The problem was not cleared however until a new coil was fitted.
Hope this may help.

Regards,

Techy7.[/quote]

When you say coil - do you mean coil pack?
artscot79
[quote name='maverick1984' post='60878' date='Jan 20 2010, 02:06 PM']When you say coil - do you mean coil pack?[/quote]

yep he means coil pack though normally you experience misfires and poor starting but symptoms can vary ford would have noticed the coil pack any excuse to get more cash out of you ive driven 4 ford focuses the stumble is well known and some early mondeos and fiestas do it to if it truly is a coil pack then wait to see if it fails if it doesnt then no harm done ive seen people spend hundreds trying to solve the stumble and unless you remap the ecu and get the idle increased you wont take any car turn the idle down and youll notice it
maverick1984
[quote name='artscot79' post='60907' date='Jan 20 2010, 03:35 PM']yep he means coil pack though normally you experience misfires and poor starting but symptoms can vary ford would have noticed the coil pack any excuse to get more cash out of you ive driven 4 ford focuses the stumble is well known and some early mondeos and fiestas do it to if it truly is a coil pack then wait to see if it fails if it doesnt then no harm done ive seen people spend hundreds trying to solve the stumble and unless you remap the ecu and get the idle increased you wont take any car turn the idle down and youll notice it[/quote]

Its just so annoying. Embarrasing too if i've got my mates in the car. To be honest the chaps at Ford didnt have a clue. They think they have fixed it - I dont think they have. Ill give it a couple of days and ill either live with it or give it back to them to have a look at again - but at there cost as I have paid already.

Anyway - thanks for your help and comments artscot.
artscot79
[quote name='maverick1984' post='60964' date='Jan 20 2010, 08:45 PM']Its just so annoying. Embarrasing too if i've got my mates in the car. To be honest the chaps at Ford didnt have a clue. They think they have fixed it - I dont think they have. Ill give it a couple of days and ill either live with it or give it back to them to have a look at again - but at there cost as I have paid already.

Anyway - thanks for your help and comments artscot.[/quote]
have a look at my post idlestumble fix and tyry that

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615