Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have my car shouldn't have passed its last MOT?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > General Forums > Maintenance / Servicing / MOT Discussions
wilddenim
Hiya, just registered and don't know where to turn... Mods, if this is in wrong forum, feel free to move it to a correct forum. :)

I bought Ford KA reg W last July from a car show. It came with a passed MOT.

However, I took my car in for its MOT today, and it failed with the costs of £600 for repairs and is labeled as dangerous. This really shocked me because it had been just last July when I got this car and yet, the list is long. I'm having another MOT taken at a different garage to compare the list.

I need your advice in whether you think it's worth to pay £600 for repairs or just throw it into scrapyard. When I got this car, it had been running perfectly until up til couple of months ago, it started to drink up lots of petrol and the vibration is slightly stronger than normal.

Here's the list:-

N/s= Driver's side
O/S= Passenger's side
O/S/F= Front passenger's side
N/S/F= Front driver's side

Number Plate Light inoperational
NS Wiper Torn
Rear bumper insecure
NSF Tyre has bulge
OS Front to rear brake pipe corroded
OS Chassis leg corroded
NS Chassis leg corroded
OS Floor holed at seat mount
OS Front wing corroded
OSF COil spring broken
OSF coil spring broken
NSF wheel bearing noisy
NSF strut top excessive play
**Clutch slipping**
Gazjs
That is some list.
On the corrosion side of things it must of been to a suitable standard for its last MOT. Would be interesting to see how different garages grade the corrosion though. But it must be bad that there is so much of it.
If it was my car i am not sure i would get it repaired. Yes there a few things like the tyre bulge that would be easy to correct. But you have to think if the car is as bad a state as that then more things could well go wrong in the near future which will cost you more money.
You should have a quick scout around and see if you can get a decent car for the price the repair would cost you anyway and see if it is worth getting it repaired or getting yourself a new car.
stef123
[quote name='wilddenim' post='61035' date='Jan 21 2010, 04:03 PM']Hiya, just registered and don't know where to turn... Mods, if this is in wrong forum, feel free to move it to a correct forum. :)

I bought Ford KA reg W last July from a car show. It came with a passed MOT.

However, I took my car in for its MOT today, and it failed with the costs of £600 for repairs and is labeled as dangerous. This really shocked me because it had been just last July when I got this car and yet, the list is long. I'm having another MOT taken at a different garage to compare the list.

I need your advice in whether you think it's worth to pay £600 for repairs or just throw it into scrapyard. When I got this car, it had been running perfectly until up til couple of months ago, it started to drink up lots of petrol and the vibration is slightly stronger than normal.

Here's the list:-

N/s= Driver's side
O/S= Passenger's side
O/S/F= Front passenger's side
N/S/F= Front driver's side

Number Plate Light inoperational
NS Wiper Torn
Rear bumper insecure
NSF Tyre has bulge
OS Front to rear brake pipe corroded
OS Chassis leg corroded
NS Chassis leg corroded
OS Floor holed at seat mount
OS Front wing corroded
OSF COil spring broken
OSF coil spring broken
NSF wheel bearing noisy
NSF strut top excessive play
**Clutch slipping**[/quote]

that is definetly a fair amount of work needed to put all that right!

you have this bit wrong though,
N/s= Driver's side (passenger side)
O/S= Passenger's side (driver side)
O/S/F= Front passenger's side (driver side)
N/S/F= Front driver's side (passenger side)

the problem is, alot of the things listed above may JUST have scraped through the mot last year and a years worth of motoring has well and truly done it.

did the clutch slipping come up as part of the mot? they do not road test the car so this is not testable.
also the corroded wing shouldnt have caused any problems unless its dangerous (i.e likely to cause harm to someone)

most of the things listed are pretty easy DIY items that you could do in a weekend.
artscot79
[quote name='stef123' date='21 January 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1264102353' post='61082']
that is definetly a fair amount of work needed to put all that right!

you have this bit wrong though,
N/s= Driver's side (passenger side)
O/S= Passenger's side (driver side)
O/S/F= Front passenger's side (driver side)
N/S/F= Front driver's side (passenger side)

the problem is, alot of the things listed above may JUST have scraped through the mot last year and a years worth of motoring has well and truly done it.

did the clutch slipping come up as part of the mot? they do not road test the car so this is not testable.
also the corroded wing shouldnt have caused any problems unless its dangerous (i.e likely to cause harm to someone)

most of the things listed are pretty easy DIY items that you could do in a weekend.
[/quote]

ford kas are notoriously bad for rust the chassis legs are a concern once you have that much rust and start cutting out and welding youre on a slippery slope ill be honbest ive scrapped better by the time you get wgheel bearings springs rip the interior out to weld get tyres etc its just not worth it the rust at the seat mount makes it dangerous believe me ive seen passenger seats go through the floor and kas are just rust buckets best advice if you bought from a garage then trading standards can give you help if bought private theres nowt you can do when buying another pay 40quid and get the rac or aa to check it out
cyb
[quote name='wilddenim' date='21 January 2010 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1264089187' post='61035']

[b]I bought Ford KA reg W last July from a car show. [/b]It came with a passed MOT.

However, I took my car in for its MOT today, and it failed with the costs of £600 for repairs ...[/quote]

Hello m8 welcome to FOC :)

My worry is the point about buying a car from a car show and not something I would suggest you do lightly unless you have a good knowledge of what to look for. :unsure:
All Ďolderí cars will have their own problems and itís always a good idea to do a little research before hand so you donít end up with a well polished piece of junk.

How much did you pay for the car and given the cost of repairs is it worth spending that much on it?
If you like the car and think its worth doing thatís great but you wouldnít be the first person to have bought a pup and sometimes you just have to learn to be wiser next time around. ;)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.