Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Erratic idle,almost cutting out, lights flicker - FIXED
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
maverick1984
Ok guys i think i have solved my problem.

Background:

Car would self rev, feel like it would cut out when approaching junctions, lights etc... Lights would flicker quite bad under electrical load. A lot of people are / having this problem.

I had a local mobile mechanic come out who pluged his computer in - registered no faults.He thought it might be the ICV so he went and got a new one and put it on, however it made no difference so he put the old one back on (didn't charge me a penny for his time - his a top bloke and i have used him several times - highly recommended from me in the Gatwick area)

So off I went to Ford dealer - who had the car 2 daysand replaced the crank case ventilation pipe. They thought they had fixed it but after picking it up and driving less then 5 miles all the problems were still there.

I repalced the Plugs, HT leads, Coil pack, Battery, Filters and oil and it made no difference. Took the car back to ford and they had it for a furthur 3 1/2 days with a lot of head scratching.

Fianlly got the car back today and its fixed. No signs of self reving, flicking lights, wanting to cut out etc... All it needed was a ECU software update.

Now the ironic thing is, my mobile mechanic said he thinks this is whats wrong with it. Ford didn't wwant to listen to me when i told them this.

Anyway so far so good but i hope i am not speaking to soon!!!
stef123
hi,

how much did the update cost? might look into getting this done and see how it goes.

cheers
stef
artscot79
[quote name='stef123' date='27 January 2010 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1264628759' post='62079']
hi,

how much did the update cost? might look into getting this done and see how it goes.

cheers
stef
[/quote]
im curious a software update sa recalibration of base settings so has youre idle when warm been increased to 800 rpm or more i think this is all ford are doing is increasing the idle sopeed to smooth it out
maverick1984
I wasn't charged anything for the update as the car had alraedy been into Ford before and they done some work but the problem wasn't sorted - hence the freebie.
i would imagine it would cost between 100-200 though. Probably best to give your local dealer a call and find out.

Artscot - I haven't checked the exact RPM with the dash trick but the needle sits on the notch below 1000 RPM. (would estmate between 700/800)

The car is still running well so hopefully the problem wont come back.
maverick1984
Just a quick update - the car is still running great.
Kellyg
Hi I have a ford focus TDCI 53 plate which has done 160k. Ive had this problem with the car cutting out and erractic idle.
I had this taken to my local garage, to have the car plugged into a computer and he said all the old codes were stored so he got rid of those took the car for a run came back and plugged it back on and no codes came up he done this twice and on 2 different computers and no codes. I've had the car back a week and its fine and she also had her MOT done on wednesday and all was fine but once again today she has started the erracitic idle whilst sitting still and she cut out once.I was also having problems with her starting in the morning so i've also changed the fuel filter and air filter too! Could this be the same problem ?? I was also told by someone else they think it could be my injectors??? Could it be the same as yours and just need an update??

Its starting to get really annoying now and i just want my old car back!!
artscot79
the only way to know is take it in tell them they havent fixed any faults as its still running poor and you want the software updated as you believe this is the problem though at 160k and what you said before it siounds llike a faulty pump to me could be starting to show that its about to go if the car cut out there should be another code stored

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615