Thanks for the above advice. I've just fixed mine in about half an hour having read the above postings. I unclipped the cover, removed the backplate behind the catch, extracting the mechanism and then worked the part where the wire comes in at the bottom a few times. Gave it a good spray of some high quality winter cycle oil (beats WD40 any day as it repels water far better). I didn't hear a click or any thing, but when I shut the lid it worked - so I'm not quite sure what fixed it - but I'm just happy to have saved myself some money! Not good design on Ford's part as the wire seems very exposed. Perhaps something that needs a quick spray every feww months as a preventative.