AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.


Budding Enthusiast
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About JonS

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • First Name

Profile Information

  • Ford Model
  • Ford Year
  • UK/Ireland Location
  • Annual Mileage
    5001 to 10,000
  1. I changed the heater matrix in our 2008 Mk2 about 2 years ago - freezing cold in a cramped garage, it was certainly quite an involved procedure. I'd suggest getting a Haynes manual and following it carefully. Bag up and label the screws, bolts etc. as you go. Main points I recall: - The dash did have to come out - Managed to leave the steering column in place, although Haynes says you must remove it - Clutch hydraulics have to be disconnected and the master cylinder unbolted - Original pipes to matrix have to be sawn through to remove. The new one comes with O rings and joints in the pipes. - Didn't need to take the doors off - as long as you can open them enough to get the dash out. I'd be interested to know more about the previous tip from Mick85 about breaking some plastic part which avoids removing the dash. Just in case I have to do it again..........
  2. Greetings to all, Have just joined the forum which I hope will help me keep my Focus on the road and reliable. You never know, I may be able to help someone else as well! Our 2008 1.6 petrol Focus is driven mainly by 'er indoors, but I do enjoy driving it myself and consider it to be a great little car. Unfortunately, despite still having only 19k on the clock, it has proved somewhat problematic. First problem was the heater matrix failed and apart from a full fascia out job to replace it, I was left with the problem of removing 4 litres of coolant from the inside of the car in the middle of winter. This was a horrible job to do, but was over a year ago now and it hasn't leaked since. Next was a clutch fluid leak from the master cylinder - probably caused by disconnecting it to do the job above. This needed a new pipe from Ford. After cleaning up the spilt fluid, which had soaked into the sound proofing under the bonnet I thought the job was complete. Unfortunately, the local rodents - presumably attracted by the fruity smell of the washing up liquid that I used, climbed up and ate all the sound proofing! That wouldn't have been so bad, but they started nibbling through the wiring loom as well. I got 3 of them as revenge though. Next to go was the top engine mounting, which I discovered was oil filled when it started leaking. A second hand replacement from ebay has sorted that for the moment. So, while a great car to drive, this has been the most unreliable modern car I've had for a long while. I just hope it will now settle down and give us some reliable service. I've always tried to maintain my own cars and other vehicles at home at the moment are a 2000 Jaguar S-Type, 2009 Nissan Xtrail and a 1986 BMW K100RS motorbike, which only comes out on very hot days. I look forward to contributing to the forum. JonS.
  3. Welcome to the Ford forums JonS :)