Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT FAIL HELP

nick.sheffcity

hi everyone. just taken my mk1 1.6 focus for the test and its failed on emissions.havent had the car long but it has 110,000 on clock and apart from this it runs fine. i was going to service it yesterday but it rained all day so didnt get chance so not really sure when it was last done and i too it for a good 45min drive before test

anyway heres what it failed on,

1. exhaust emits excessive blue smoke during accelaration

2. (4%) exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive

3. (8.5%) exhaust emissions hyrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive

4.(409ppm) exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle excessive

5. (0.70)exhaust emissions lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits

so to start im looking at putting a new cat and lambda on aswell as a good service.is there anything else i should be looking at/out for aswell?

cheers

it hasnt dropped 1 bit since i owned car (about 2 month)coolants kept same level too

im just a bit worried about the blue smoke...

what sort of mpg is it returning?

Lambda sensors etc wouldnt control the colour of the smoke....its usually relatd to something mechanical (although they will control the emissions) Blue smoke....usually means stem seals....if not the worse case scenario is piston rings...but thats usually white smoke. Easiest way to check if its rings is to take out all plugs and check to see if they are covered in oil. If they're not then i'd say stem seals. If its not rings you could try changing sensors and putting a load of stop smoke in....however this will only temporarily fix it to help it through its mot...you will still have the underlaying problem of something mechanical

just quick update.i took it to a mate of my dads and hes had a look and the stem seals do want doing so hes doing me them tomorrow.while there he also hooked it up to diagnostic for live data and lambda is running dodgey too so changing that aswell as a new cat(my choice to change cat).

after that its getting a good service so hopefully should be fine then.ill post up results of re-test when ive booked it in

just quick update.i took it to a mate of my dads and hes had a look and the stem seals do want doing so hes doing me them tomorrow.while there he also hooked it up to diagnostic for live data and lambda is running dodgey too so changing that aswell as a new cat(my choice to change cat).

after that its getting a good service so hopefully should be fine then.ill post up results of re-test when ive booked it in

arent the stem seals a standard 100k job im sure i read somewhere that they need doing at the 100k servic hey thats not bad mate at least you know its a simple thing to have sorted and not have to drown youre weetabix in tears like that fella on the maintenance forum with the ka that failed on almost everything

Had a feeling it'd be stem seals as per my previous post. As for standard at 100k for stem seals I think that's just chit chat. It depends how well the car has been looked after. Beforw my at I had an old 1.8 s reg focus that was on 99k and showed no signs of needing them done and never known it on any of the other zetec engine ranges.

Had a feeling it'd be stem seals as per my previous post. As for standard at 100k for stem seals I think that's just chit chat. It depends how well the car has been looked after. Beforw my at I had an old 1.8 s reg focus that was on 99k and showed no signs of needing them done and never known it on any of the other zetec engine ranges.

may not haver been stem seals i remember reading summat was needing done at 100k could have been shims or summat

may not haver been stem seals i remember reading summat was needing done at 100k could have been shims or summat

shims need done at 100k miles mate, or atleast the clearances checked.

• 2 weeks later...

well ive been busy over last couple of weeks getting car ready for test.had the stem seals done aswell as new cat,lambda and a full sevice (including leads and coilpack) and today managed to get it through test.

stil had a bit of trouble though getting it through though.one minute everything was within limits next it wasnt.the main one that varied was the CO2.had a talk with the tester and he says what seems to be happening is its over fueling every now and then which keeps making the readings change so i think im going to take it into ford and get it hooked up on livedata to check that everythings running as it should but suspect it could be a faulty injector.

sorry forgot to add does anyone know how much ford charge for diagnostic/live data check? want to really get it checked sooner rather than later after money ive just spent on it. cheers

sorry forgot to add does anyone know how much ford charge for diagnostic/live data check? want to really get it checked sooner rather than later after money ive just spent on it. cheers

im sure its 70 or 80 quid to have it done but to be honest you could spend that getting parts that dont fix the problem so ide say have it checked

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club