Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Spinning And Startup

mike6707

Hi folks

I have a 1.6 ti-VCT Focus. There is a slight spinning sound in the engine it lasts about 1-2 seconds when starting up. It doesn't happen all the time perhaps 1 out of 4 instances of starting. Would anybody know what this is?

Hi folks

I have a 1.6 ti-VCT Focus. There is a slight spinning sound in the engine it lasts about 1-2 seconds when starting up. It doesn't happen all the time perhaps 1 out of 4 instances of starting. Would anybody know what this is?

sounds like the starter motor are u releasing the key as soon as it starts

Hi folks

Sounds exactly like a solenoid problem I once had. As it only happened about one in four times (like yourself) i never got round to fixing it.

Sounds exactly like a solenoid problem I once had. As it only happened about one in four times (like yourself) i never got round to fixing it.

Interesting what was the solenoid issue?

sounds like the starter motor are u releasing the key as soon as it starts

I am

Interesting what was the solenoid issue?

All I can really remember is that it wanted replacing. I'm not a mechanic so I cant really describe properly, maybe if there are any mechanics on here they can give a description of solenoid problems. Or you can try some googling of "starter solenoid problems" or similar and see what comes up. No idea how much a solenoid costs, but fitting should be easy - you can usually see the solenoid if you open the bonnet. It's a small metal cylindar next to the starter

All I can really remember is that it wanted replacing. I'm not a mechanic so I cant really describe properly, maybe if there are any mechanics on here they can give a description of solenoid problems. Or you can try some googling of "starter solenoid problems" or similar and see what comes up. No idea how much a solenoid costs, but fitting should be easy - you can usually see the solenoid if you open the bonnet. It's a small metal cylindar next to the starter

its actually bolted onto the starter motor but close enough :) if its sticking, then the wirring noise you hear could be the starter motor turning with the engine (even once you have let go the key)until it shakes itself loose.

There is a freewheel mechanism built in to the starter pinion to prevent the engine overspeeding the starter. If the solenoid is not releasing quickly enough this would probably produce the sound you are hearing.

• 8 months later...

Hi

Many thanks to those who posted replies to my question. I finally got this solved a few months ago. The engine warning light was coming on coupled with the engine misfiring. The engine is a 1.6 ti-VCT. The camshaft sprockets were defective and had to be replaced. The spinning sound was caused by the pistons not being returned to their default position for starting.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club