Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40Mm Lowering Spring Kit For My Focus

jimmyboiii

ive bin told if i have these springs fitted to my car, my car will drive different and it wont feel as good to drive? is this true because i thought with putting modified springs on the car would have a better handling and smoother drive? the springs im having on are "essex racing 40mm lowering springs" which connect onto my original shocks

ive bin told if i have these springs fitted to my car, my car will drive different and it wont feel as good to drive? is this true because i thought with putting modified springs on the car would have a better handling and smoother drive? the springs im having on are "essex racing 40mm lowering springs" which connect onto my original shocks

its a myth to get boy racers to buy them mate suspension geometry isnt simple and the cars are set up for the best balance at the factory with the matched springs and shocks being lower and stiffer doesnt work on all cars example my sisters 306 gti set up by pug sport with 600 quid of coilovers fully adjustable the car was too hard over bumps the wheel bearings constantly needed changed and in the wet it it would slide easily if pushed driving was a nightmare a small pot hole felt like a crater i couldnt hack driving it for too long a bit like the focus . different springs with standard shocks is a waste of time it gives you the low look but wont help the handling in my experience it will make the ride very hard and ill easily bet a standard focus on standard ford sport springs like on the zetec will out handle it i know after a lowered focus tried playing games with me i was buzzing round bends he couldnt keep up i could see him struggling he asked what suspension i had and i said standard he was shocked whack them on and see. you will need to have the car re tracked as youve changed the suspension geopmetry so it will effect the toe and camber of the car which will lead to poor handling wearing of the tyres and poor response when braking hard. genuinely it isnt as simple as whack on a set of springs and away you go you will increase the wear on wheel bearings and the z rods as well as anti roll bar bushes if you want better handling good tyres and brakes are a start and maybe an rs anti roll bar which is thicker with a strut brace

thanks for that mate, think i will give them a miss then, i wouldnt mind the low look but if its going to effect the handling ill definatly give it a miss :) the only reason i wanted it lowering is because i have just had a nice set of 18" alloys on and it would look nice lowered by 40mm, but it looks ok so im not going ruin a good car.

thanks for that mate, think i will give them a miss then, i wouldnt mind the low look but if its going to effect the handling ill definatly give it a miss smile.gif the only reason i wanted it lowering is because i have just had a nice set of 18" alloys on and it would look nice lowered by 40mm, but it looks ok so im not going ruin a good car.

a lot of people do it and think that the car will handle better but wont admit it doesnt after spending hundreds of pounds my old passat was lowered 35mm my mates was standard and he would whip me on the bends every time the car was too low so i adjusted to 30mm which was better more composed in the bends but the roads man were a nightmare we live in speed bump pot holed britain and it aint comfy honestly a strut brace is a good thing to have to reduce front flex other than that youre focus is fine 18s with a 40mm drop would seriously effect the toe in and the camber of the wheels maybe a bit of rubbing as well im not sure

looks like im forgettin the idea of lowering then, if youve had a bad experiance in the past with lowering springs, i will deffo give it a miss, 2007 plate ford focus drives like a dream at the min, a really comfy drive, dont want ruin it now

as astcot said i prob wouldnt worry. If you did do it maybe a fully adjustable set of coilovers would work. They have harshness and height adjustable setup. However it may still cause too much stress. And also I personally wouldnt do any more than 30mm on springs with 18's. Its everyones personal preference. I'd agree with ascot and try upper and lower strut brace on the front and upper on the rear with better anti roll bar and poly bush's maybe

• 10 years later...
On 2/7/2010 at 6:10 PM, artscot79 said:

its a myth to get boy racers to buy them mate suspension geometry isnt simple and the cars are set up for the best balance at the factory with the matched springs and shocks being lower and stiffer doesnt work on all cars example my sisters 306 gti set up by pug sport with 600 quid of coilovers fully adjustable the car was too hard over bumps the wheel bearings constantly needed changed and in the wet it it would slide easily if pushed driving was a nightmare a small pot hole felt like a crater i couldnt hack driving it for too long a bit like the focus . different springs with standard shocks is a waste of time it gives you the low look but wont help the handling in my experience it will make the ride very hard and ill easily bet a standard focus on standard ford sport springs like on the zetec will out handle it i know after a lowered focus tried playing games with me i was buzzing round bends he couldnt keep up i could see him struggling he asked what suspension i had and i said standard he was shocked whack them on and see. you will need to have the car re tracked as youve changed the suspension geopmetry so it will effect the toe and camber of the car which will lead to poor handling wearing of the tyres and poor response when braking hard. genuinely it isnt as simple as whack on a set of springs and away you go you will increase the wear on wheel bearings and the z rods as well as anti roll bar bushes if you want better handling good tyres and brakes are a start and maybe an rs anti roll bar which is thicker with a strut brace

thanks for that advice mate i have an 08 focus FL and was concidering it to get rid of this arch gap but maybe 18 inch wheels will do that too2117510603_focus2020(81).thumb.jpg.0e56b0aa277f2491a36591abb71ef854.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club