• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 davidm

davidm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: s-max
Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

Problem with a 2006 (56) 1.8 Zetec diesel S-max (below average miles). Two months ago I parked the car up and when I returned about 20 minutes later it refused to start - it wouldn't even turn over and the message 'immobiliser active' appeared on the dash. On advice I tried the spare key etc but to no avail. Towed to garage where they changed the battery and the car started but no faults showed up on the diagnostic tester. About three weeks ago I went to start it one morning but again it would not and I got the same message 'immobiliser active'. Had to get it towed in again and this time the garage say that when first plugged in a series of faults were showing but they mysteriously cleared themselves without action from the mechanic. When this happened they tried the car and it started. Most recently on Saturday morning I was driving the car to town when it just cut out instantaneously and I had to pull in and park up. Again the 'immobiliser active' is lit up on the dash and it will not turn over. The car is waiting to be towed in again. I talked to the garage again after the latest incident and they seem to think it must be an intermittent wiring fault. Has anybody had any similar experiences. Warranty expired mid December just before this started to happen.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 cathham

cathham

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Smax Titanium 2lr

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hi - we have exactly the same problem (but worse) been going on since last jan. Am getting no nearer to fixing it and don't know what else we can do. Has been in and out of the garage with no fix - each time i leave it they say it either doesn't fault or if it does when they plug it in it doesn't show a fault!!! Ford technical are no help and i fear we may be stuck with a car that frequently fails to start - not what u need with 3 small children. Just wondered how you had got on - is your sorted now?

#3 Martin Hinshelwood

Martin Hinshelwood

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: S-Max 2.2T

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hi - we have exactly the same problem (but worse) been going on since last jan. Am getting no nearer to fixing it and don't know what else we can do. Has been in and out of the garage with no fix - each time i leave it they say it either doesn't fault or if it does when they plug it in it doesn't show a fault!!! Ford technical are no help and i fear we may be stuck with a car that frequently fails to start - not what u need with 3 small children. Just wondered how you had got on - is your sorted now?

I had this problem as well and my garage tracked it to a faulty internal intrusion detection device that caused a catastrophic electrical failure in the car! A complicated way of saying that one of the sensors has a short and stuffed the car..

Fixed in 3 hours..

#4 davidm

davidm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

I had this problem as well and my garage tracked it to a faulty internal intrusion detection device that caused a catastrophic electrical failure in the car! A complicated way of saying that one of the sensors has a short and stuffed the car..

Fixed in 3 hours..

#5 davidm

davidm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

Took car to garage who diagnosed it as an ABS module failure. They quoted about 800 to repair. However when they cleared it with the diagnostic computer it started again. I drove it for about two or three days and it stopped again as before. Got towed to yet another Ford garage and they diagnosed it as an alarm module fault. Each garage I go to comes up with something different. I got them to change it and it has been starting ever since when I check it each morning. However I have it parked up and changed to a Cmax. I just don't and won't trust the Smax any more. It's now for sale.

#6 lisa790

lisa790

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: S Max 2.0 DT I Zetec

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

Problem with a 2006 (56) 1.8 Zetec diesel S-max (below average miles). Two months ago I parked the car up and when I returned about 20 minutes later it refused to start - it wouldn't even turn over and the message 'immobiliser active' appeared on the dash. On advice I tried the spare key etc but to no avail. Towed to garage where they changed the battery and the car started but no faults showed up on the diagnostic tester. About three weeks ago I went to start it one morning but again it would not and I got the same message 'immobiliser active'. Had to get it towed in again and this time the garage say that when first plugged in a series of faults were showing but they mysteriously cleared themselves without action from the mechanic. When this happened they tried the car and it started. Most recently on Saturday morning I was driving the car to town when it just cut out instantaneously and I had to pull in and park up. Again the 'immobiliser active' is lit up on the dash and it will not turn over. The car is waiting to be towed in again. I talked to the garage again after the latest incident and they seem to think it must be an intermittent wiring fault. Has anybody had any similar experiences. Warranty expired mid December just before this started to happen.

Bingo We also have a 56 Zetec but 2.0 TDI and this has been going on for some time but with no resolution. Ours was under warranty when it first occured but as with yours this has now run out. We have a service booked for next week and are waiting to see what response we get this time. This has now gone to far and we have had nothing but problems since buying this car. We have had the alarm going off with out any warning then the wipers just started and we could not stop them. Now the keys only unlock the car when they want to and then the engine will not start. We have low milage on ours as well and it is not used on a daily basis but this should not have any effect on the running of a car.

#7 Cockney Boy

Cockney Boy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: Richard
  • Ford Model: Ford S-Max Titainium X Sport
  • Year: 2011

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

Having the same problme here. Only today i get in my S-Max, press the engine start button and nothing. Called Ford Asssit out (AA Turn up !!!) and all he did was remove the car battery for 10 seconds, re-connect and away it went !!!! Think it must be getting a spike when you open the car door or something, as this is the 6th time its happended but all previous times i left it for 30 minutes and it cleared itself.

Pointless taking it to Ford i feel as i will only get fed a pack of lies.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users