Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Foot Pedals

mickyfree

I have a 53 plate zetec and always thought the foot pedals were a bit odd. They are all different sizes, with the accelerating pedal being the smallest (the size is smaller than a packet of 10 cigarette). When I inspected the accelerating pedal it seemed a bit wobbly where it joins into the engine bay. All three pedals have no grip even though they have rubber covers.

I have bought a set of foot pedal plates to attach to the existing ones but I'm just wondering if my pedals are orginal to start with.

How do you fit them as the throttle just a piece of plastic and the other two are just solid metal with a rubber grip over the top

Oh no I haven't fitted them yet because I thought the pedals on my car are not original and probably slightly faulty but I've done some research just now and I think they are ok.

I found a website that gives a rough guide on how to install new pedals. Just simply mark where the screw goes on the existing pedal and drill it. I'll have to remove the rubber grips, they are useless anyway I have slipped on the clutch and brake pedals over the wet winter.

Oh no I haven't fitted them yet because I thought the pedals on my car are not original and probably slightly faulty but I've done some research just now and I think they are ok.

I found a website that gives a rough guide on how to install new pedals. Just simply mark where the screw goes on the existing pedal and drill it. I'll have to remove the rubber grips, they are useless anyway I have slipped on the clutch and brake pedals over the wet winter.

make sure you get the distance between the edge of the pedals right theres a minimum distance they must be orit can fail an mot should state in the instructions suimmat like 15mm between the edge of one pedal to the next also put masking tape on the area before marking and drilling youll see the marks and drill wont slip make sure the bolt heads are flush with the pedal

make sure you get the distance between the edge of the pedals right theres a minimum distance they must be orit can fail an mot should state in the instructions suimmat like 15mm between the edge of one pedal to the next also put masking tape on the area before marking and drilling youll see the marks and drill wont slip make sure the bolt heads are flush with the pedal

got a feeling its 40 or 50mm from edge to edge. Seems to be what i remember vaguely when i fitted my sparcos to my old car i had. Dont quote me on that though.

But like artscot said....its def an mot fail if the tester is doing his job properly.

When fitting them take the rubber covers off your current pedals. When drilling the accelerator pedal if its plastic like you said start with a something like a 2.5-3mm drill bit and open it out slightly by going up in sizes. Will prevent any shattering or snagging.

got a feeling its 40 or 50mm from edge to edge. Seems to be what i remember vaguely when i fitted my sparcos to my old car i had. Dont quote me on that though.

But like artscot said....its def an mot fail if the tester is doing his job properly.

When fitting them take the rubber covers off your current pedals. When drilling the accelerator pedal if its plastic like you said start with a something like a 2.5-3mm drill bit and open it out slightly by going up in sizes. Will prevent any shattering or snagging.

must be atleast 50mm between them and they must also have some form of grip

Thanks everybody. Yeah I think it's 50mm. The heads up about the masking tape is bril! Never thought of that. Planning to do it this sat if the weather is fine. I think the existing pedals are metal so shall I just drill straight through without starting small and then going up in size to reach desire hole circumference?

Thanks everybody. Yeah I think it's 50mm. The heads up about the masking tape is bril! Never thought of that. Planning to do it this sat if the weather is fine. I think the existing pedals are metal so shall I just drill straight through without starting small and then going up in size to reach desire hole circumference?

when i did it i found the easiest way was remove the rubbers cover the pedal in masking tape mark the hole for the first pedal and temp tape it on then do the same with the 2nd pedal making sure you have the 50mm in between and mark those holes continue till they are all marked and measured then remove the pedal plates out the way and put a block of wood under the pedal youre going to drill 1 for leverage and 2 so it doesnt move 3 so you dont fly through it and drill the floor use a small metal bit to start off just to get the hole started do it with all of them and then use the correct size bit to complete the holes remove the tape and fit youre new ones tip some of the bolts that come with them are too long so try them first making sure they dont interfere with youre mats etc if need be trim them short before fitting

when i did it i found the easiest way was remove the rubbers cover the pedal in masking tape mark the hole for the first pedal and temp tape it on then do the same with the 2nd pedal making sure you have the 50mm in between and mark those holes continue till they are all marked and measured then remove the pedal plates out the way and put a block of wood under the pedal youre going to drill 1 for leverage and 2 so it doesnt move 3 so you dont fly through it and drill the floor use a small metal bit to start off just to get the hole started do it with all of them and then use the correct size bit to complete the holes remove the tape and fit youre new ones tip some of the bolts that come with them are too long so try them first making sure they dont interfere with youre mats etc if need be trim them short before fitting

Thanks for the instructions. Very useful indeed. Only thing I don't have is a wooden block, might try to find a plastic box or something. How long does it take to do all three pedals? 1-2 hrs?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club