Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's Your Focus Like On Petrol?

K2008

Hi,

I was just wondering what your Focus is like on petrol (please state year/engine size and price per litre etc).

I own a 2002 1.6 Zetec Focus and at the moment, I'm barely getting 25 miles to a gallon (where I live it's 109.9p per litre, so roughly about £4.95 per gallon). I'm not sure whether this is average, good or bad? that's why I made this thread.

I don't always use the same garage either, I use a mixture. Sainsburys, Asda, Morrisons, Shell and BP (mainly Sainsburys and BP).

It's weird, because in December 2008 (around that time anyway) the average price per litre of petrol in my town was 116.9p and back then I was getting about 30 miles to £5, so I can't work out why I'm now getting 5 miles less and it's 7p cheaper per litre - I'm not doing anything differently :unsure:.

I used to always use Tesco garages, but I've stopped using them now. I have two Tescos in my town and have been to both and had the same problem... when the pump resets to £0.00 I pull on the petrol pump lever to fill up my car and the first 40-80p is just air! I can fill NO petrol running through the pipe/pump! I thought it was just a one off, but it did it the 2nd time I went back... and at the Tesco garage at the other side of town :blink:.

I got the car in Jan 2007. Back then I used to get near on 50 miles to £5, so basically now I am doing half, yet the price hasn't doubled... sometimes I start to convince myself the petrol pumps are rigged!

There's no use me moaning, I just have to put up and shut up. Petrol will only continue to rise anyway... It's just lately I feel like I am constantly sticking money in my damn car! I don't earn a great wage and spending £40 a week on petrol to get me to and from work isn't great! that's 1/4 of my wage gone already LOL :o. I no longer use my car for 'unecessary' trips, basically, it's used to go to and from work, leisure journeys are long gone.

Hi,

I own a 2 Litre ST170 (52 plate) and I am getting 24.79 miles to the gallon (imperial gallon 4.55 litres approx)

I am using Vpower petrol which despite alot of people arguing it doesn't do anything I think the car runs a little smoother and the petrol seems to last longer (probably psychological :P ).

Anyway, prices where I am vary between 112.00p to about 119.00p.

I am probably doing about 125 miles motorway driving a week and about 50-60 running around town so depending on how much motorway/town driving you are doing I would say you should be getting more than 25mpg.

I too own an st170 on a 53 plate and get roughly the same return as jordan.

Your petrol prices are cheap. Ours are 112.9 for cheap 95 octane and 119.9 for 99 octane.

If i'm on a motorway i get between 80-100 miles out or quarter of a tank. Around town i'm lucky if i get 60miles to a quarter of a tank. I always run on Vpower and I too have found that it does run slightly better and does give a better fuel return. Bear in mind mine has been chipped so more bhp and more torque.

Some people will argue the toss but in my opinion supermarket fuels can be quite bad sometimes. They have been known to have the cheap contaminated oil thats left over once the better stuff has been filtered through. Hence why a few years back tesco had to stop selling for a while and reclaim all the contaminated fuel they had delivered.

Try getting some fuel treatment in a full tank of v power fuel give the car a good service with platinum plugs (which is what the zetec engines should be run on anyway) and a good quality oil and clean air filter then see what happens. Bear in mind you will not see results over night. It will take maybe a week to see the improvement and let the ecu "re work" itself so to speak.

I have a friend who has a 52 plate 1.6 on 120k miles and he gets 340-380 miles to a full tank and thats quite a bit of motorway driving.

Hope this helps

Your a girl right [wink]

Seriously, I'm not sure if your confusing price with mileage, if so forget it your on the wrong track.

As to Tesco !Removed! you with falsely recording pump meters, again a no go, as pumps are tested. But if your still paranoid about Tesco pumps, fill up elsewhere....simples

Driving style, type of roads, speed, traffic congestion, weather conditions, below par maintenance of the vehicle its self [past their best spark plugs, filters, low tyre pressures, etc etc etc] All these things can affect MPG in a big way. Oh and I find most young drivers drive on their brakes...wham fuel into the engine with heavy accelerator pressure, and get shut of the same fuel on their brake pads at junctions and roundabouts and when they come upon queuing traffic by braking hard.

Anyway you may find this thread informative pointless asking every body to repeat themselves on this new thread.

And you could always Subscribe to this websiteto find the nearest cheapest petrol on your daily route. If you register your email address and pop in your post code, they send you weekly updates.

Hope this helps

Fuel consumption is a subjective matter as it all depends on where and how you drive. Also in the winter fuel consumption will suffer due to increased usage of electrical items. The Focus 1.6 is also a heavy car so the engine will be working hard anyway which will have the effect of increasing fuel consumption.

Fuel consumption is a subjective matter as it all depends on where and how you drive. Also in the winter fuel consumption will suffer due to increased usage of electrical items. The Focus 1.6 is also a heavy car so the engine will be working hard anyway which will have the effect of increasing fuel consumption.

2001 1.8 zetec focus price 1.09.9p per litre i get around 35mpg town driving on longer hauls or down the dual carriage way ill get 40 or more the 1.6 has a smaller engine but the same if not more weight so you need to burn more fuel to haul it along

2001 1.8 zetec focus price 1.09.9p per litre i get around 35mpg town driving on longer hauls or down the dual carriage way ill get 40 or more the 1.6 has a smaller engine but the same if not more weight so you need to burn more fuel to haul it along

2004 edge 1.6 16v getting approx 32mpg (with knn induction kit and heavy foot) used for commuting mostly but stretched its legs down to bolton day before and have done around 220 miles to just over half of a tank. Its only ever toped up with either tesco's or bp fuel around the 111.9 mark here but tesco's are doing the 5p off a litre deals again so might venture there again.

Mike

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club