Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Top_gear

Steering Assist Failure

5 posts in this topic

I have a Ford Focus 1.8TDCI 56reg.

When driving the dashboard lights up with a Steering Assist Failure, and the steering becomes very heavy.

Can anyone help!

When driving the dashboard lights up with a Steering Assist Failure, and the steering becomes very heavy.

Can anyone help!

im no expert on steering but few simple checks check the power steering fluid as if this is l,ow you will get what you are experiencing if it is low look for leaks around the pump area it may be its just never been topped up second check youre handbook and see if there is a relay or fuse associated with the steering as this may have gone failing all that im at a loss as im not great with power steering units

PAS faliures are common the Focus. The PAS on these cars is electric/hyrdaulic. Could be an electrical fault such as fuse, wiring or could be something more serious such as PAS pump faliure. A friend of mine had a PAS problem caused by a problem with the alternator meaning that the steering system wasn't getting enough power. Best get it checked out ASAP for pieiece of mind.

PAS faliures are common the Focus. The PAS on these cars is electric/hyrdaulic. Could be an electrical fault such as fuse, wiring or could be something more serious such as PAS pump faliure. A friend of mine had a PAS problem caused by a problem with the alternator meaning that the steering system wasn't getting enough power. Best get it checked out ASAP for pieiece of mind.

i have to agree you dont want to be midway round a tight bend and you lose power steering suddenly not worth the risk especially if you have kids in the car

Can anyone help!

Take it into the dealer mate. Tell them that you have been told there has been a recall on this issue.

Mine had to go in to be checked on an 06 reg. Ford was having to check the early mk2 shape and fitting a new ,union joint if required or checking that the joint has been tightened.

dont let them fob you off. it has to come under warranty as a recall issue.