Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Assist Failure

Top_gear

I have a Ford Focus 1.8TDCI 56reg.

When driving the dashboard lights up with a Steering Assist Failure, and the steering becomes very heavy.

Can anyone help!

When driving the dashboard lights up with a Steering Assist Failure, and the steering becomes very heavy.

Can anyone help!

im no expert on steering but few simple checks check the power steering fluid as if this is l,ow you will get what you are experiencing if it is low look for leaks around the pump area it may be its just never been topped up second check youre handbook and see if there is a relay or fuse associated with the steering as this may have gone failing all that im at a loss as im not great with power steering units

PAS faliures are common the Focus. The PAS on these cars is electric/hyrdaulic. Could be an electrical fault such as fuse, wiring or could be something more serious such as PAS pump faliure. A friend of mine had a PAS problem caused by a problem with the alternator meaning that the steering system wasn't getting enough power. Best get it checked out ASAP for pieiece of mind.

PAS faliures are common the Focus. The PAS on these cars is electric/hyrdaulic. Could be an electrical fault such as fuse, wiring or could be something more serious such as PAS pump faliure. A friend of mine had a PAS problem caused by a problem with the alternator meaning that the steering system wasn't getting enough power. Best get it checked out ASAP for pieiece of mind.

i have to agree you dont want to be midway round a tight bend and you lose power steering suddenly not worth the risk especially if you have kids in the car

Can anyone help!

Take it into the dealer mate. Tell them that you have been told there has been a recall on this issue.

Mine had to go in to be checked on an 06 reg. Ford was having to check the early mk2 shape and fitting a new ,union joint if required or checking that the joint has been tightened.

dont let them fob you off. it has to come under warranty as a recall issue.

• 11 years later...

I'm having the same issue with assist steering failure, i have had pas changed, ecu, cluster, and fuse box checked and they were found fine. after the rotation sensor on rack replaced.. still problem is there! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club