Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem With Alternator

johnnorrie

Hi Im new to the site and wondered if anyone could shed some light on a problem im having. I have a 51 plate bi fuel 1.8 focus and i have problems with battery charging. I feel that the alternator is capoot but would have thought that if there was no charging coming from the alternator that the red battery light would illuminate. This is not the case, it only comes on when the battery starts to go flat. If i turn on fan, lights etc the current at the battery in amps does drop and does not increase like you would expect. My only issue is with the red light? Any information would be grateful.

John

Hi Im new to the site and wondered if anyone could shed some light on a problem im having. I have a 51 plate bi fuel 1.8 focus and i have problems with battery charging. I feel that the alternator is capoot but would have thought that if there was no charging coming from the alternator that the red battery light would illuminate. This is not the case, it only comes on when the battery starts to go flat. If i turn on fan, lights etc the current at the battery in amps does drop and does not increase like you would expect. My only issue is with the red light? Any information would be grateful.

John

firstly do the dashboard trick on the front page you can test all the bulbs this way and if it illuminates then the bulbs fine and the problem is elsewhere second while in the diagnostics scroll to battery voltage and see what it drops to with electrics on then rev the car the voltage should increase as the alternator kicks in if it doesnt the alternator is caput as for the light it could be a fault with the 3 wires on top of the alternator that runs the smart charge the fact it comnes on when the bar=ttery dies is strange it should be illuminated all the time

my 55 reg alternator went pop last Tuesday, one of the tell tale signs is if your car starts making a sort of "turbo whistle" when you put your gas up to 1500 revs, it tends to be overpowered after 2500,3000 revs, but if it sounds like a belt could be slipping or a turbo whistle, its likely that the alternator has gone.

also if you can use a multimeter, Mr RAC came to rescue me on Tuesday and took the voltage of the battery, it was hovering on 11, and he said it must be over 13v. so if you take the voltage at the batter and the alternator and its under 13, its another cause, for better test, if you can take the voltage at the alternator, and have someone apply gas for say 1500 revs, and keep your eye on the multimeter, and it still remains below 13, you do have a dodgy alternator.

J

Thanks for the info, you were right with the whistling noise and yep voltage was 11.6 and so car is now in garage getting new one fitted which turned out to be a nightmare as the alternator is at the back of the engine and with the gas pipes it has to come out throught the bottom, meaning drive shaft, wishbone TRE etc all has to come off then drop the driveshaft bracket, unbolt the alternator from the mounting bracket and wiggle everything out. Cost me 180 quid all in so pretty happy with that to be honest. 3hrs labour at 24quid/hr and 85 for the alternator. I see on the newer models the alternator is at the front. Much better place to put it as it would only have been a 1/2 hr job, but hopefully thats it sorted.

Cheers

John

Thanks for the info, you were right with the whistling noise and yep voltage was 11.6 and so car is now in garage getting new one fitted which turned out to be a nightmare as the alternator is at the back of the engine and with the gas pipes it has to come out throught the bottom, meaning drive shaft, wishbone TRE etc all has to come off then drop the driveshaft bracket, unbolt the alternator from the mounting bracket and wiggle everything out. Cost me 180 quid all in so pretty happy with that to be honest. 3hrs labour at 24quid/hr and 85 for the alternator. I see on the newer models the alternator is at the front. Much better place to put it as it would only have been a 1/2 hr job, but hopefully thats it sorted.

Cheers

John

i'm sure mine came out the top on my 1998 focus i used to have?? :blink:

i'm sure mine came out the top on my 1998 focus i used to have?? blink.gif

it can be done from above not easy but with the right tools its not an issue even without them simply removing the arch liner gives you all the access you need without removing suspension parts sounds like they either gave yoiu that as an excuse to make a few quid more or they genuinely like to make things hard on themselves

Had a gut feeling that would be the problem, you got let off lightly. Ford charged me £336.16 for diagnostics, part and labour. wish I had your bill...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club