3 replies to this topic

#1 smithy3007

smithy3007

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: black ford focus zetec 1.8
Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hi, there

i have a 51 plate ford focus, when driving the mph gauge drops and stops working all together, as this happens the rev counter stay's normal but u feel a slight drop in power. If you put the car in neutral it will stall when applying the break, then if you put it into gear while rolling it will kick in again but still the mph gauge will not work wired?. All of a sudden it will work again and you feel a boots ? this could happen more than one time on a journey. any help would be a great.

Thanks Jamie ..

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,911 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hi, there

i have a 51 plate ford focus, when driving the mph gauge drops and stops working all together, as this happens the rev counter stay's normal but u feel a slight drop in power. If you put the car in neutral it will stall when applying the break, then if you put it into gear while rolling it will kick in again but still the mph gauge will not work wired?. All of a sudden it will work again and you feel a boots ? this could happen more than one time on a journey. any help would be a great.

Thanks Jamie ..

either the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or the dreaded instrument cluster. i think a genuine vss is about 30-40

#3 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

either the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or the dreaded instrument cluster. i think a genuine vss is about 30-40

ide have it checked out by ford if it was the cluster you would get it replaced for 99 quid if its just the sensor thats not so bad

#4 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Ford Model: 03 Focus Mk1.5 Estate 1.8 TDCi Ghia

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

ide have it checked out by ford if it was the cluster you would get it replaced for 99 quid if its just the sensor thats not so bad

I had this happen and both the VSS and cluster were replaced under warranty but that still didn't fix it. In the end it turned out the harness to the VSS was chafed through where it runs close to the gear linkage so it's worth getting the dealer to check that.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users