Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Is The Better Focus?

Nug878

Now, I should explain I used to own a 1.8TDdi Focus? Loved the car and would defend it to the hills. Now it's in the scrap yard in the sky thanks to the snow and ice us Brits experienced in the early days of January, I'm looking for a new car. As a stereotypical teenager, I keep changing my mind, I've been looking at cars and saying: "right, I'm going to get and Astra" ... This soon changed to a Citroen Xsara, then a Punto, then a Corsa. But then I thought, my Focus was perfect for me, so why not get another Focus?

So, that's what I'm doing. Question is, being an ex 1.8TDdi owner, I've looked on the grand pages of AutoTrader and surprised to see how many good nick/low mileage 1.6i Focus's are for decent prices ... Even the top spec "Zetec" models.

I was just here to ask, anybody know which is the better car in general? I do high mileage but specs suggest both engines do similar MPG so I'm not bothered about that.

Thanks in advanced. :D

Now, I should explain I used to own a 1.8TDdi Focus? Loved the car and would defend it to the hills. Now it's in the scrap yard in the sky thanks to the snow and ice us Brits experienced in the early days of January, I'm looking for a new car. As a stereotypical teenager, I keep changing my mind, I've been looking at cars and saying: "right, I'm going to get and Astra" ... This soon changed to a Citroen Xsara, then a Punto, then a Corsa. But then I thought, my Focus was perfect for me, so why not get another Focus?

So, that's what I'm doing. Question is, being an ex 1.8TDdi owner, I've looked on the grand pages of AutoTrader and surprised to see how many good nick/low mileage 1.6i Focus's are for decent prices ... Even the top spec "Zetec" models.

I was just here to ask, anybody know which is the better car in general? I do high mileage but specs suggest both engines do similar MPG so I'm not bothered about that.

Thanks in advanced. :D

Well seeing as you do high mileage, I would have thought the 1.8 TDi would be more cost affective. As the 1.6i will mean your fuel bill being an extra £377 at 15k per annum, £503 at 20k per annum. Plus being a 1.6 you will have to work it harder in the gears, as the 1.8TDi will have better mid range torque,I should imagaine.

I had a 99 plate Focus 1.8i Zetec [always seemed to be at the petrol pump], prior to buying a 54 plate new shape Volvo S40 2.0D SE,[never seemed to be at the petrol pumps, and could it shift without resorting to working the box, brilliant] now we have a 55 plate 1.6 Zetec Climate [wife insisted, she missed the ease of driving a Focus] does not do nothing like Fords consumption figures, but that said marginally better than the 1.8i Zetec was. Obviously slower acceleration than the 1.8i Zetec, but still quite nippy for a 1.6 but soon runs out of puff.

Focus better driving experience, but the S40 had fantastic pick up and effortless overtaking with little need in the gearbox department, and all done in luxurious surroundings. WHY NOT buy a Focus with the same 2.0D engine in it and get the best of both worlds. Mind you I've only owned the 2.0 TDCi, so cannot compare it to the 1.8 TDi

PS: just twigged "the grand pages" I now realise you looking bargain basement. Still got to be the 1.8TDi for me

Thanks for that. If my budget was extended a bit I'd definitely buy a 2.0TDCi at the drop of a hat! :lol:

But they are going for a little more than I can afford at the moment. The 1.8TDdi did well on fuel, but perhaps let down by all the reviews stating it was an old engine that was seen in the Mk.3 Fiestas and old Mondeos, but that didn't bother me.

But judging what you said maybe I should not believe the consumption figures of the 1.6 stating an extra urban mpg of 50 ... 1.8 petrol is definitely a no-no though because I wouldn't like those fuel costs and I imagine the insurance would be a bit high being as I'm a student! :lol:

Thanks for that. If my budget was extended a bit I'd definitely buy a 2.0TDCi at the drop of a hat! :lol:

But they are going for a little more than I can afford at the moment. The 1.8TDdi did well on fuel, but perhaps let down by all the reviews stating it was an old engine that was seen in the Mk.3 Fiestas and old Mondeos, but that didn't bother me.

But judging what you said maybe I should not believe the consumption figures of the 1.6 stating an extra urban mpg of 50 ... 1.8 petrol is definitely a no-no though because I wouldn't like those fuel costs and I imagine the insurance would be a bit high being as I'm a student! :lol:

The 1.6 isnt hidious on fuel but 50mpg keep dreamin! im a student and my 1.6 in honest truth is cheaper for me to insure than a 1.4 corsa sport, also if you can stretch try to get a facelift zetec with quickclear it'l be all the car you'l ever want and need. Mine is a ins group 6 but ive seen 1.8 lx's that are the same 1.8 zetec's etc are 7's..... i think lol.

Mike

Think I'm going to have to do a bit more research I think then. I obviously don't mind paying a bit more for costs if it means the 1.6 is a bit more refined than my old diesel, which to be honest, seemed a bit agricultural.

Insurance isn't a problem because for the 1.6 petrol I only have to pay an extra £5 a month to insure it from my old car. Thing is I think deep down I'm going to have to go out and test drive a 1.6 and see what it's like to drive compared to my old car. If it's not too much different then I might as well stick with the diseasel and save an extra few pennys. :)

Thing is I think deep down I'm going to have to go out and test drive a 1.6 and see what it's like to drive compared to my old car. If it's not too much different then I might as well stick with the diseasel and save an extra few pennys. :)

That is exactly what you need to do, because the driving experience is what it's all about.

That is exactly what you need to do, because the driving experience is what it's all about.

diesel with youre mileage puntos are utter crap no other way of putting it riddled with faults from poor welds leaky roofs etc citroen again are crap and rated as one of the worst cars for failing the mot the astra cant handle for toffee had one as a hire car and they are junk handling corsas aint that bad not that im a fan i hate them but they handle decently easy to repair i say focus ansd im not being biased

diesel with youre mileage puntos are utter crap no other way of putting it riddled with faults from poor welds leaky roofs etc citroen again are crap and rated as one of the worst cars for failing the mot the astra cant handle for toffee had one as a hire car and they are junk handling corsas aint that bad not that im a fan i hate them but they handle decently easy to repair i say focus ansd im not being biased

Yeah, I'm definitely sticking with a Focus. I actually visited a used car place last week to see any alternatives and happened to see a Punto and an Astra. Sat in both of them... The Punto felt reasonably well put together inside. But I have read a few horror stories so I'm completely put off those. Sat in the Astra and it didn't feel right, I adjusted the seat to my position and it just felt really odd. Poor driving position in those things so they are a no go. I then sat in a 51' plate Nissan Almera SE 2.2 DCi. My my what a fabulous little car, actually drove it and couldn't put a bad word to it ... It would be perfect, then I got home and lets just say my insurance company didn't think it would be so perfect. :D

So yes, that leaves me running back to the Focus with open arms to be honest. Seems to be the perfect car for me, ticking off each part of my criteria.

Yeah, I'm definitely sticking with a Focus. I actually visited a used car place last week to see any alternatives and happened to see a Punto and an Astra. Sat in both of them... The Punto felt reasonably well put together inside. But I have read a few horror stories so I'm completely put off those. Sat in the Astra and it didn't feel right, I adjusted the seat to my position and it just felt really odd. Poor driving position in those things so they are a no go. I then sat in a 51' plate Nissan Almera SE 2.2 DCi. My my what a fabulous little car, actually drove it and couldn't put a bad word to it ... It would be perfect, then I got home and lets just say my insurance company didn't think it would be so perfect. biggrin.gif

So yes, that leaves me running back to the Focus with open arms to be honest. Seems to be the perfect car for me, ticking off each part of my criteria.

the almeras and kia hyundai are fantastic cars the puntos are awful we had one in with a leak from the ropof 2 weeks hunting and found nowt so it went in a dark garage with a guy inside wwith a torch on and the roof lining removed it was the welds to the roof there were lots of tiny pin prick holes thast was letting water in where the welding hadnt been done right it was returned to fiat apparently there were a few like that astra was just rubbish to drive you found youreself going round coprners you do every day in the focus and half way round in the astra the tyres just wanted to let go it rolled like a fat man in a tub of custard my dad had a drive hes got an almera and he said it was awful as well

I owned a Nissan Sunny 1.6 [which is what Almeras were once called] from sixth months old until a four axle Foden wagon wrote it off 11 years later.

The wagon side swiped me as he wanted the lane I was in. It then went onto drag the Nissan across the front of the cab at right angles to the road. I was sat there looking out of the drivers door window at eye level at the word FODEN which sat just above the wagon radiator. All I could hear was the air brakes being applied but it still proceeded to shunt me 50 yards down the road. Firstly I was sure the Nissan's wheels would just collapse being shoved sideways down the road, then the wagon would just proceed to go over the top of me. Then when that did not happen,and I could sense the wagon was slowing I began to congratulate myself for surviving.

But then I looked across and out of the passenger door window and saw a newly built pedestrian crossing island surrounded by safety barriers getting ever closer, and I thought this definitely was curtains. But the wagon finally came to a halt with my car pressed right up against its radiator, and only six feet away from the safety barrier. The whole of the offside was stoved in and neither the driver or passenger door would open. Not bad for an 11 year old car. I remember three young Asians kids running across the road and saying to me.....hey mister you must be the luckiest man alive in Bradford.

I think it was a 1987 model, even then it had electric windows all round, what a reliable motor that was and a nice drive to boot. Funny thing is it replaced the most unreliable and badly built car I have ever owned in my life....an Austin Mastro. Which in it's self replaced a Rover SDI 2.3 now that was a nice motor but it drank petrol, but what a turning circle that had, and the styling was fantastic for it's time.

Yep now't wrong with Nissan Almeras, other than the image of the car in front is an Almera driven by an old bloke in a flat cap. :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club