41 replies to this topic

#1 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

Hi.

I've been thinking of trading in my Fiesta for a Focus.

I've homed in on one of the later Mk1 3rd TDCi hatchbacks. I've selected this because a 3dr hatch is ample for me, the diesel engine has better fuel economy than the 1.6 Zetec Se engine in my Fiesta and also the insurance group is cheaper.

So all in all it should cost less to run (famous last words).

I have do have one question though, it might sound a bit silly. Does anyone one which models the full trip computer comes as standard? My Fiesta only has a simple trip-meter, it does not show for instance average MPG, Instantaneous Fuel Economy, Miles/Kilometers Until Fillup (Range), Outside Ambient Air Temperature, Average Speed etc.

I understand this is the same for some of the focus models as well but I can only seem to find info that says that the Ghia models come with the full trip computer fitted as standard.

Now I know this isn't exactly a vital feature, but it is one I'd like, and I'd also like to avoid the hassle of having to source the various bits n bobs and having to mess about with the wiring loom to fit one.

So if anyone knows please do tell :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

Hi.

I've been thinking of trading in my Fiesta for a Focus.

I've homed in on one of the later Mk1 3rd TDCi hatchbacks. I've selected this because a 3dr hatch is ample for me, the diesel engine has better fuel economy than the 1.6 Zetec Se engine in my Fiesta and also the insurance group is cheaper.

So all in all it should cost less to run (famous last words).

I have do have one question though, it might sound a bit silly. Does anyone one which models the full trip computer comes as standard? My Fiesta only has a simple trip-meter, it does not show for instance average MPG, Instantaneous Fuel Economy, Miles/Kilometers Until Fillup (Range), Outside Ambient Air Temperature, Average Speed etc.

I understand this is the same for some of the focus models as well but I can only seem to find info that says that the Ghia models come with the full trip computer fitted as standard.

Now I know this isn't exactly a vital feature, but it is one I'd like, and I'd also like to avoid the hassle of having to source the various bits n bobs and having to mess about with the wiring loom to fit one.

So if anyone knows please do tell Posted Image

only the ghia has them fitting one isnt hard all you do is take the clock surround off and feel behind it the plug for the computer if you have it will be taped at the back somewhere then you hit a scrapyard get the face tyhe computer outside temp sensor the light stalk with the trip button on it and the screenwash bottle with the level indicator in it fittings a simple case of plugging it all in to be honest thay arent much use anyway the ones that do work dont for long the readout is optomistic dont have one never needed one i wouldnt base my selection on these computers mate they aint all that usefull

#3 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Ford Enthusiast

• Super Mod
  • 10,981 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus CMAX 1.6 CVT TDCI
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

Plus the fact that its more hassle than its worth to add all these parts in, the MK2's computer is bog standard doesnt have all the features its advertised with. Your probably better buying a one with a computer, then it saves you the hassle...

#4 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Plus the fact that its more hassle than its worth to add all these parts in, the MK2's computer is bog standard doesnt have all the features its advertised with. Your probably better buying a one with a computer, then it saves you the hassle...

all the parts 40 quid from a scrappy and took me an hour to fit it all to be honest after it was done i wondered why he bothered the info it gives is poor anyway and quite frankly people should be able to judge from the fuel gauge how much fuel they have so i dont really see the point

#5 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.5T ST-2
  • Year: 2008

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

If you want a 3door with a trip computer its gota be a home done jobby the only ones that came with it as standard where the ghia's which only came in 5dr 4dr and estate variants. Also personal oponion but im a bit of a heavey footed driver and the 100bhp tdci is as nippy as treacle pouring out of a tin, the 115bhp is a MUST it acctually shifts preaty quickly lol.

Mike

#6 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

Hehehe yeah... I was coming to that conclusion myself, mainly brought about by the "Ghia" only appearing next to 5dr models.

I still want a 3dr though, and people say that it's a fairly easy mod to do, so I'll probably do that.

I probably will eer towards the 115bhp, but I'm the opposite of you, I'm a light footed driver, I barley have to rest my foot on the throttle in the 1.6 Fiesta and it just goes, the motorway is the worst because you're cruising along happily... then you look at the speedo and suddenly realise your'e doing about 95, when it only feels like 65!

I'm also light on the brake pedal, my Fiesta still has it's original discs and pads. Which reminds me... If I go through my with my plan... I will have most likely traded a car with relatively low mileage for one which has done probably double the mileage.

The pro's to that though is better fuel economy and cheaper insurance. What tax band does the Focus TDCi 115 fall under?

#7 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Hehehe yeah... I was coming to that conclusion myself, mainly brought about by the "Ghia" only appearing next to 5dr models.

I still want a 3dr though, and people say that it's a fairly easy mod to do, so I'll probably do that.

I probably will eer towards the 115bhp, but I'm the opposite of you, I'm a light footed driver, I barley have to rest my foot on the throttle in the 1.6 Fiesta and it just goes, the motorway is the worst because you're cruising along happily... then you look at the speedo and suddenly realise your'e doing about 95, when it only feels like 65!

I'm also light on the brake pedal, my Fiesta still has it's original discs and pads. Which reminds me... If I go through my with my plan... I will have most likely traded a car with relatively low mileage for one which has done probably double the mileage.

The pro's to that though is better fuel economy and cheaper insurance. What tax band does the Focus TDCi 115 fall under?

Try just settle for a zetec with the climate pack on or an edge (same as a zetec just got bigger alloys and a rear spoiler). I'm aware this is going to sound biast as i have an edge but thats the one id go for again the 115bhp is the only diesel engine you can have and i prefer the alloys, spoiler, seat design etc anddd there usually newer (2004-2005 only). As for the tax bands just have a nose on parkers that will tell you everything about specs and engine stats etc so you get a better idea of what trim and engine to choose from.

Mike

#8 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

Parkers seems to be having a few problems with the interweb today, so Autotrader to the rescue!

That's another good reason to trade in my Fiesta 1.6 for a Focus TDCi, the road tax is about 50 cheaper a year.

I'd quite like to opt for the Edge, but a Zetec would do as the Edge puts about 40 extra on the insurance.

Now I just need to actually get the budget :(

#9 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

Parkers seems to be having a few problems with the interweb today, so Autotrader to the rescue!

That's another good reason to trade in my Fiesta 1.6 for a Focus TDCi, the road tax is about 50 cheaper a year.

I'd quite like to opt for the Edge, but a Zetec would do as the Edge puts about 40 extra on the insurance.

Now I just need to actually get the budget :(

Lol never new the edge was more expensive to insure il admit when i went to buy mine i didnt go to look at the one i bought i was after a 1.8 lx in magnum grey but my trusty edge was parked right next to it and i immeditaly dived on it. Is your fez an automatic or a zetec-s bdw/

Mike

#10 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

My fiesta has the 1.6 Zetec Se engine, manual box, the car is the freestyle range.

#11 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

My fiesta has the 1.6 Zetec Se engine, manual box, the car is the freestyle range.

just to state the trip computer mod is easy to do if the car has the wiring behind the dash not all cars do im lucky my zetec has wiring for electric mirrors trip computers etc some dont its a hit or miss and short of removing the dash cover you cant tell

#12 wilberforce

wilberforce

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus TDCi 53
Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

If you get the 115tdci, you'll become a hooligan just like me. ;)

I pay 125 for road tax.

Spend the money, you won't regret it, but it costs me 57 to fill the tank abut it last almost 500 miles.

#13 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Just got a few quotes for me on a 04plate 1.8tdci ghia 115bhp (18yr old student, 1yrs no claims, mum and dad on my car, fully comp with 500 excess, 3 points) bear in mind its 1 insurance group higher than my 1.6 which im paying 990 to insure .... 1,589.70 WHAT THE F*** :blink:

Mike

#14 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hehe I'm already a hooligan, well in a kart anyway :P

The good news is that the focus tdci is going to be cheaper to run in pretty much every way than my Fiesta. I'll be going from insurance group 8 to 6, which saves about 50, then road tax band I to F again saving about 50, and I'll be getting upto 20 more miles per gallon than I am now, though I know mpg is very much dependant on how you drive and the load of the car.

But I will be getting essentially a better car, yet one that costs less to run than my current fiesta. Well I'm at least trying to rationalise a blantant desire for a different car anyway :D

#15 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

Just got a few quotes for me on a 04plate 1.8tdci ghia 115bhp (18yr old student, 1yrs no claims, mum and dad on my car, fully comp with 500 excess, 3 points) bear in mind its 1 insurance group higher than my 1.6 which im paying 990 to insure .... 1,589.70 WHAT THE F*** :blink:

Mike

hmm well, yeah you're in a higher risk catergory. My first car a 1.2 Nova cost me about 1200 to to insure 3rd party fire + theft back in 2001. You'll find if all goes well, i,e don't make any claims it will come down every year.

I have 7 years no claims (would have had 9, but the nova got stolen) but the premiums basically got cheaper for me every year until this year, when it actually went up a bit. But I guess I'm at an age and experience level when it can't actually get cheaper and inflation takes over.

Always a good idea to shop around for quotes as well, and these comparison websites don't always produce the cheapest quotes because some companies opt out of them because of the commission they charge.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users