Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

hmm well, yeah you're in a higher risk catergory. My first car a 1.2 Nova cost me about 1200 to to insure 3rd party fire + theft back in 2001. You'll find if all goes well, i,e don't make any claims it will come down every year.

I have 7 years no claims (would have had 9, but the nova got stolen) but the premiums basically got cheaper for me every year until this year, when it actually went up a bit. But I guess I'm at an age and experience level when it can't actually get cheaper and inflation takes over.

Always a good idea to shop around for quotes as well, and these comparison websites don't always produce the cheapest quotes because some companies opt out of them because of the commission they charge.

well sorry to say edge butto an insurance company youre high risk on anything bigger than a kitchen blender christ i pay 300 and odds a year fully comp with courtesy car breakdown and legal ive never ever had a qoute more than 600 quid even when i passed my test wipe those eyes its the points thats killing you to the insurance youre a constant speeder who is highly likely toi cause an accident lose youre licence you wont find many companies who will even entertain you and the ones that do will ask for silly money so slow down man think how it will feel losing the licence then youll have to do a theory again and a minimum of 10 lessons b4 you can go for a retest all money monety money

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.5T ST-2
  • Year: 2008

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

well sorry to say edge butto an insurance company youre high risk on anything bigger than a kitchen blender christ i pay 300 and odds a year fully comp with courtesy car breakdown and legal ive never ever had a qoute more than 600 quid even when i passed my test wipe those eyes its the points thats killing you to the insurance youre a constant speeder who is highly likely toi cause an accident lose youre licence you wont find many companies who will even entertain you and the ones that do will ask for silly money so slow down man think how it will feel losing the licence then youll have to do a theory again and a minimum of 10 lessons b4 you can go for a retest all money monety money

I know but still 1,500 for a focus DIESEL :( all for the sake of one night's mistake saying that it could of been much worse and since i must admit ive backed right off. Sticking to the speedlimit just getting there quite quickly if the roads empty. Higest quote ive ever had was about 12k for my little edge just after i passed my test and no thats not a joke lol. Roal on next january can get 12 points then.

Mike

#18 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

I know but still 1,500 for a focus DIESEL Posted Image all for the sake of one night's mistake saying that it could of been much worse and since i must admit ive backed right off. Sticking to the speedlimit just getting there quite quickly if the roads empty. Higest quote ive ever had was about 12k for my little edge just after i passed my test and no thats not a joke lol. Roal on next january can get 12 points then.

Mike

theres a lot of companies that dont accept 2 points now even if you didnt get banned you want to behave until they points are cleared my pal just lost his 6mnths ago hes had to pay for all the lessons he has to take etc now he has a 1.0 litre corsa and even that at the cheapest qoute he could ghet is 950 quid a year thats a standard 1999 corsa the insurance cost more than the car and he had a hell of a time who would touch him with 12 points now hes stuck to driving craop he acnt modify and being over taken by pensioners he went through a list of cars and that was litteraly all he could get insured on so behave man before youre not a focus owner you end up a corsa driver i aint talking to you

#19 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

theres a lot of companies that dont accept 2 points now even if you didnt get banned you want to behave until they points are cleared my pal just lost his 6mnths ago hes had to pay for all the lessons he has to take etc now he has a 1.0 litre corsa and even that at the cheapest qoute he could ghet is 950 quid a year thats a standard 1999 corsa the insurance cost more than the car and he had a hell of a time who would touch him with 12 points now hes stuck to driving craop he acnt modify and being over taken by pensioners he went through a list of cars and that was litteraly all he could get insured on so behave man before youre not a focus owner you end up a corsa driver i aint talking to you

If i became a corsa driver dont worry i wouldant speak to myself id rather catch cancer and as im sure you'll all agree thats something! After being chased down by a T5 cant really say as im going to be doing it in the near or distant future touch wood i nearly droped my licence when i handed it over i was physically shaking that much (yes im a wimp). And i had a list when i was looking for a car and there were the usual 1.2 polo's etc but my mum wouldant let me have anything smaller than a focus god bless overbearing parents.

Mike

#20 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

Lol.... luckily I have a clean license... always have, and hopefully (touches wood) always will.

#21 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

Lol.... luckily I have a clean license... always have, and hopefully (touches wood) always will.

i wish i was bought a 1.2 punto actually it was a good car never let me dow had it till it was rear ended at that time 78k on the clock and not a spot of trouble in 40k miles so far my focus is the dearest car ive bought saw it wanted it dont like 3 doors just 2 impractical when you have kids if i didnt have kids it would be a 3 door but saw my focus and knew it was the one i wanted could have had the ghia but too much on them to go wrong i wanted as impler car no aircon to knacker up could have ghad the diesel but it was a saloon and green plug ugly looking thing mine was just in tucked in the corner had to haggle to get her but glad i did people can say what they like about fords but its better than my passat was a lot of the guys on the vw forum had got rid of fords for v then wished they hadnt when things kept needing fixed and replaced

#22 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

I'd love a Volkswagon or Audi. Problem with them though is that they are simply more expensive, more expensive and more expensive to service.

#23 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:10 PM

I'd love a Volkswagon or Audi. Problem with them though is that they are simply more expensive, more expensive and more expensive to service.

dont they are sxxt for one there are more sensors on them than the starship enterprise and vw take 60 quid before its even on the ramps the parts are ridiculously priced the whole front end of the car hads to come off to do the timing belt and tensioners which fail regularly a big and involved job vw price 600 independant 400 and unless youre really good with engines and timing forget it as they arent marked lucky my mate can do it so a few pints paid for that the aircon pumps are failing drasticallyleaving a 700 quid bill to get it fixed thats a dity price vw want 1300 quid the suspension set up is mad theres 4 arms on each front strut costing 30 quid an arm to replace the climatronic always fails 4 spark plugs at the cheapest come in at at least 35 quid and 50 for the leads mine had a full vw dealer history my mates audi has so many reciepts it looks like the lord of the rings novel hes spent in the last year on wear and taer items over 1000quid doing the work himself i had enough fixing mine every week then they leak through the pollen filter except when they do the control module that works all interior electrics alarm windows climatronic/aircon gets soaked if youre lucky no damage if not a new one and thats expensive to fix door wiring always breaks meaning you cant get doors open to fix them without damaging the door card to get it off so new door cards needed the list goes on honestly never believe the hype unless you have cash to burn leave vw and audi and seat well alone

#24 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

I used to be apprentice mechanic (didn't see it through, long story). Anyhoo the dealership I worked for sold and serviced Jaguar, but we had a dealership of the same group that did Mazda around the corner.

The Mazda garage was only small, so they'd often nip round to use our workshop to do tyres for example. Sometimes we'd nip over there if we needed to borrow a bit of kit from them. I remember having a lengthy conversation with one of them as they were servicing one of the Mazdas. And we came to the conclusion that basically the only difference between the two marques from a servicing point of view was that the Jaguar has significantly more noughts in the price before the decimal point and usually after another higher value digit.

And I think that rings true for the industry in general, Prestige isn't always quality.

The garage I worked for charged about 90 per hour labour. That was back in 2002, it's probably significantly more now. I've been out of the industry since about mid 2003 I think.

#25 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

I used to be apprentice mechanic (didn't see it through, long story). Anyhoo the dealership I worked for sold and serviced Jaguar, but we had a dealership of the same group that did Mazda around the corner.

The Mazda garage was only small, so they'd often nip round to use our workshop to do tyres for example. Sometimes we'd nip over there if we needed to borrow a bit of kit from them. I remember having a lengthy conversation with one of them as they were servicing one of the Mazdas. And we came to the conclusion that basically the only difference between the two marques from a servicing point of view was that the Jaguar has significantly more noughts in the price before the decimal point and usually after another higher value digit.

And I think that rings true for the industry in general, Prestige isn't always quality.

The garage I worked for charged about 90 per hour labour. That was back in 2002, it's probably significantly more now. I've been out of the industry since about mid 2003 I think.

dont get me wrong the vw can do silly mileage but the cost of keeping it maintained is ridiculous i know a few people who had them 7 of us none of us have vw anymore we all sold them now we have nissan 2 of 1 skoda octavia 3 fords and a hyundai nopne of us will ever buy a vw or audi again even my hairdresser got rid of hers when it went for a service and she got a qoute for 1100 quid some of the most reliable cars ive had have been the cheapest like my dads old hyundai accent he bought in 1995 i got it after the punto was pranged i had it with 80k on the clock no major faults no big repairs no rust and it started every time while the rest of the cars struggled through the winters it wa worth about 200 quid no electric windows ort aircon no abs etc yet it handled well and was really nippy at the garage i worked at from the cars we had in i wouldnt buy ford kas pugeots of any kind or citroens nor vw or audi they were by far the majority that came in and all the bills were big ggod we were on first name terms with ahlf the customers you would see them at lleast 2 times every month

#26 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Been at a Hartwell dealership across the past couple of days. They only had 1 mk1 Focus that met my criteria. 04 year 3 door hatch, 1.8 TDCi sport, 70'000 miles, would have been nice to have it, but they were asking 5485 for it, (which is a bit much for me atm) and we were unable to agree a deal.

Hopefully I'll be checking out 2003 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec fo 3490 on Monday, this one has done 53'000 miles, and owing to fact that it isn't the sport or edge version is slightly less to insure than the car I didn't buy today.

Have to drive 100 miles just to go and see it though! There aren't too many examples that meet my fairly tight criteria though, so I guess I have to be willing to travel around a bit to find "the one".

#27 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

Been at a Hartwell dealership across the past couple of days. They only had 1 mk1 Focus that met my criteria. 04 year 3 door hatch, 1.8 TDCi sport, 70'000 miles, would have been nice to have it, but they were asking 5485 for it, (which is a bit much for me atm) and we were unable to agree a deal.

Hopefully I'll be checking out 2003 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec fo 3490 on Monday, this one has done 53'000 miles, and owing to fact that it isn't the sport or edge version is slightly less to insure than the car I didn't buy today.

Have to drive 100 miles just to go and see it though! There aren't too many examples that meet my fairly tight criteria though, so I guess I have to be willing to travel around a bit to find "the one".

I know the feeling my dads hunting about for a blue mondeo st220 hatch there like hens teeth most seem to be down south :( if the car seems good and isnt exactly 3000 miles away its usually worth travling luckily for me though the dealer was 11 miles away :P

Mike

#28 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

I'll finally be taking ownership of my 53 plate, Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec on Monday! :D

Flame red.... back to "Rosso corsa" after 5 years of "BRG" for me :lol: It will actually be my 3rd red car, having had 1 white, 1 blue & 1 green in my previous history.

#29 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

I'll finally be taking ownership of my 53 plate, Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec on Monday! :D

Flame red.... back to "Rosso corsa" after 5 years of "BRG" for me :lol: It will actually be my 3rd red car, having had 1 white, 1 blue & 1 green in my previous history.

Waheyyy you've bought a real ford :P quite like flame red on the focus stands out abit more is it the 100bhp or the 115bhp though ;)

Mike

#30 J i m

J i m

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:33 AM

It's a 115 bhp. Both more powerful and more torque than the 1.6 petrol in the fez. But probably more due the extra weight a slightly slower 0-60 time. But if it feels anything like the fez in terms of engine feel then I'll be very happy with it.

This will be the first time I've driven a diesel since passing my test back in 2001. And experience of that diesel Corsa led me to expect a heavier feel to the controls. Not a bit of it! Yesterday when I was sitting in it and playing with the interior I noticed that the clutch pedal was actually lighter than the clutch in my petrol fez.

Plus from an ergonomic point of view, one thing that has always really annoyed me about the fez is that in pretty much any driving position the steering wheel blocks the "60-70mph" part of the speedo... I sat in the drivers seat in the Focus and that was the first thing I looked for. Not a bit of it.

I think I'm going to enjoy this car :D

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users