Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Ka R-Reg Help Please

Paul.d

Hi All

My sister has recently bought an old R-reg Ford KA, i believe it's a 1.3. She has had it in at a garage, because it was chugging as if it had a misfire, but the garage said the car had a new map sensor and coil pack fitted and thought maybe someone has already tried to cure the fault.They have also done a diagnostics check and produced the following codes.

P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High Input

P1479 - High Speed Fan Primary Circuit malfunction

B1601 - Incorrect Key Code. Unprogrammed key (Keycode format OK)

B1600 - Non PATS key, damaged coded key, or no key code received

B1602 - Partial key read of PATS key

She has 2 keys and both start the car ok. Does the key errors mean someone has tried to start the car from a non-coded key before??

If anyone can help point me in the right direction, she doesn't have alot of money, so just trying to help her out.

Regards

Paul

if both the keys start the car then i would think they are ok .

perhaps someone did try a diffrent key at some time.

i would take off the earth battery terminal then re-fit it

make sure you have the code for the stereo 1st....

the air intake sensor is quite cheap to buy new

take the reg of the car with you to fords & they will give you a price for it.

i would personally start with the plugs & ht leads as they malfunction sometime & maynot

show up on a pats test.

the air intake sensor is is located on the rh side looking into the engine on the air filter cover.

pull off the wire then twist the sensor 90 degrees to remove it.

you can try running tha car without it attatched to see if there is any change

also check the petrol filler cap is not blocked (breather hole) as it may cause a vaccume in the petrol tank & not allow petrol to flow.

this should not do anything to the initial running of the car as it only works when real hot P1479 - High Speed Fan Primary Circuit malfunction

you could pull of that wire from the fan then give the car a run as it wont hurt aslong as you dont go too far just to test if it's that

do a process of illimination that's what i usually do 7 you may save a small fortune.

i would ignore the key codes the garage found as that will not be anything to do with the running

keep us posted on how you get on m8

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I have been told to ignore the P1479, as it relates to the A/C and the car doesn't have A/C anyway.

You might have answered the P0113 for me though, as i saw the sensor on the right hand side of the airbox and it didn't appear to have a wire to it, but it did have some kind of plug on it and i removed the plug and then put it back, but pretty confident that it's probably the fact it's not connected that's the problem, although i don't believe my sister had this problem when she first bought the car 2 weeks ago and she wouldn't have unplugged it.

I'll see if i can get a better look, when i first looked, the airbox was a bit of a mess, cable tied on etc and i had thought maybe somebody had replaced it for some reason, E.g previously had a K & N filter on, the car doesn't look like it may have been moded in the past, but it does have 2 silver stripes down the bonnet. Do all the KA's have the Intake Air Temp Sensor, or is it possible it's the wrong airbox fitted and the sensor was on the previous vehicle and not on this KA?

Regards

Paul

Hi

Sorry forgot to add, i have got a picture from ford and priced up the air mass meter and the IAT sensor, but also noticed on the picture that the first part of the air intake was missing, but not sure this would be a issue, as long as there is enough air coming in to the airbox. There also appeared to bit of white smoke from the exhaust when i revved it, not sure if this was related or engine not fully warmed up yet.

Regards

Paul

Hi

Sorry forgot to add, i have got a picture from ford and priced up the air mass meter and the IAT sensor, but also noticed on the picture that the first part of the air intake was missing, but not sure this would be a issue, as long as there is enough air coming in to the airbox. There also appeared to bit of white smoke from the exhaust when i revved it, not sure if this was related or engine not fully warmed up yet.

Regards

Paul

ive had this before and i hope youre sis didnt apy much for it this can be costly yes the sensor you mantioned should have a wire to it so that wont be helping the airbox has likely been an induction kit the missing part will draw in hot air from th eBay and wont help the little horsepower she has the stripes are not standard and believe it or not if she had=snt declared them on her insurance she has problems if anything happens i dont want to be rude but really she should have had it checked out and in truth walked away

Hi

Thanks for the honest reply, my sister paid about £600, she just past her test and wanted a car, but i didn't have much time to go looking with her.

Do you think it would be better to just put an induction kit on or sort the wiring out to the sensor and see if we get a fault then? The sensor is only £34, but until i sort the wiring out to it i won't know if it's faulty. I'm tempted to tell her to get an auto electrician to look at it, but not sure she can afford, so was hoping to do as much as poss for her.

Regards

Paul

Hi

Thanks for the honest reply, my sister paid about £600, she just past her test and wanted a car, but i didn't have much time to go looking with her.

Do you think it would be better to just put an induction kit on or sort the wiring out to the sensor and see if we get a fault then? The sensor is only £34, but until i sort the wiring out to it i won't know if it's faulty. I'm tempted to tell her to get an auto electrician to look at it, but not sure she can afford, so was hoping to do as much as poss for her.

Regards

Paul

best advice go to a scrapyard and find the same motor theres plenty and remove the box and the sensor with the wiring cut the wiring so you have plenty of wire left take it home and refit youcould put a kit on it but by the sounds of it who ever done it the first time made a pigs ear of it and just cut bits off a scrappy is the best place to srtart take a pic with youre phone of the engine when youre at the scrappy so you can refer back to it when you get home then disconnect the batytery for 15 mins when its all refitted reconnect take it for a drive then recheck for fault codes if you klived near me ide have helped you out with it an auto electrician will take a good few hundred

Hi

Scrapyard is probably a good idea, i had another look at the car yesterday and the wires are still there near the sensor, so i'm gonna have a go at reconnecting the sensor and seeing what happens, however the wires on the sensor have either been cut or broken right in the plug, so if i could get the pluig from the scrap yard i could scotch lock it to the wires on the. The snow here this morning was a little unexpected, so i'm not sure when i'll get chance to do it.

Thanks for the help

Regards

Paul

Hi All

Just another update, managed to get the Air Intake Sensor plug from scrappers and have scotch locked it back on. There is still a misfire, so i've ordered new plugs and leads and going to change them, have spoken to the garage who looked at it and they have confirmed the coil pack looked new. I have also spoken to Ford and they tell me the coil packs were common for causing a misfire, however they have been modified since and are £109, so i'll see what happens once plugs and leads are changed.

Regards

Paul

Hi All

I have now changed the spark plugs and it cured the problem, Hopefully with the sensor connected as well there are no more faults.

Regards

Paul