Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,749 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

I read on a scorpio forum (http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/obd2a.htm), how a guy managed to download some software free, and bought a cable for $122, and he managed to connect his scorpio up and diagnose it, although it wasn't 100% perfect as the software was designed for US vehicles, he managed to get a lot from it, and it got me thinking, sure you can view the DTC's in the trip comp, but can you do something similar to Mr Scorpio where you get a cable and software and do it yourself for a fraction of the price (and true a fraction of the programs efficiency, functionality). Has anyone done anything like this as I think I would be willing to give it a go some time in the near future?

What would you need, I know a laptop with a "serial" port, and of course a diagnostics cable, not sure if there are budget, decent and superb varieties, but has anyone done or heard of anyone doing this?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 blimp

blimp

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus 1,8 Zetec s Estate

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

You will need a cable to fit into your OBD socket the other end is a standard RS plug as used to hook up to a modem. There several sites offering software from free to 100. I have all the kit just haven't got around to trying out
Blimp

#3 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,749 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

sounds good, I think I will give it a go, can you suggest the site that you could get the software from free - 100? did you buy your software or get it free?

Thanks

J

#4 andy_1984

andy_1984

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus LX Estate

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

ive been doing a lot of research for an up coming car project and one of my required bits n bobs is one of these.

im sure its what you are looking for

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2a0503f740

beats paying $122! and being usb you dont need an rs232 port on your laptop

plus you will need software(the above ebay one comes with a bit of software), i havnt researched other software as i have different plans and wont need a stand alone software.

just google elm327 software im sure you can find a free one. if you are familiar with terminal services in windows you can use this to read the data from the obd2 using the elm327 interface.

very boring though as there are softwares that give you a digital dash with all the readings from oil pressure to clutch position and speed.

here are a few of the most common programs for the elm327 - ScanMasterELM,PCMSCAN,ScanXL,Digimoto

not sure which are free or not...... just do a little more digging im sure you can get one free ;)

#5 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,749 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

ive been doing a lot of research for an up coming car project and one of my required bits n bobs is one of these.

im sure its what you are looking for

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2a0503f740

beats paying $122! and being usb you dont need an rs232 port on your laptop

plus you will need software(the above ebay one comes with a bit of software), i havnt researched other software as i have different plans and wont need a stand alone software.

just google elm327 software im sure you can find a free one. if you are familiar with terminal services in windows you can use this to read the data from the obd2 using the elm327 interface.

very boring though as there are softwares that give you a digital dash with all the readings from oil pressure to clutch position and speed.

here are a few of the most common programs for the elm327 - ScanMasterELM,PCMSCAN,ScanXL,Digimoto

not sure which are free or not...... just do a little more digging im sure you can get one free ;)

Good Man!!! I havent been on f or a while as been busy, and you have just made my day with this find! will get right onto it and see what I can find!

#6 andy_1984

andy_1984

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Good Man!!! I havent been on f or a while as been busy, and you have just made my day with this find! will get right onto it and see what I can find!

let me know how you get on with it as i still havnt got round to starting my project yet so didnt get it

#7 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,749 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

Yeah, I am just waiting for the funds to buy the part, so as soon as I have tried it I will update this thread!

#8 andy_1984

andy_1984

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

hi jeebo, just wondering if you ever got around to buying the elm327 reader ?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users