Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trip Computer Help

FUBARx89

I've got a Mk1 facelift Zetec and I want to put a trip computer in it, I know the parts I'll need to get for it and will be going to the scrap yard tomorrow, just dreading how much they will try and charge me.

Now, how will I remove the old washer bottle to put the new one with sensor on and do I connect the sensor on it to anything? and where would I connect the temperature sensor?

I know how to get the dash face out to put the new one in and I know the wiring loom is there for the trip computer to go in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've got a Mk1 facelift Zetec and I want to put a trip computer in it, I know the parts I'll need to get for it and will be going to the scrap yard tomorrow, just dreading how much they will try and charge me.

Now, how will I remove the old washer bottle to put the new one with sensor on and do I connect the sensor on it to anything? and where would I connect the temperature sensor?

I know how to get the dash face out to put the new one in and I know the wiring loom is there for the trip computer to go in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

fuirst you need to remove the wheel arch liner to get to the washer bottle passenger side only a couple of torq to remove ...the sensor is on the bottle may i make a point though you have the wire for the internal computer but have you removed the cowl at the windscreen in where the wiper motor is to find out if the wires there for the temp sensor this is where it will plug in theres a small plastic holding cup it sits into you cant run without it as youll start getting fault codes when the trips fitted ...youll also need to find the extra wire for the washer bottle sensor which can be tucked up anywhere in the bay whereever the guy doing the wiring on the car decided to put it..... trip computer is just one multiplug the outside sensor wire is the most important without that it wont work and dont assume the wires are there without checking so youll need the surround say 10 quid the computer around 20 quid the outside sensor will be 5 quid the bottle will be another 10-20 quid the steering stalk ie tyhe indicators with the trip computer button on them or you cant access any trip computer information another 20 quid a new pollen filter sealing strip will also be needed as youll have to remove that part of the cowling and check the plugsd for the stalks you must have 10 pins inside for it to work

Well I'm trying to get at the wiring loom now for the trip computer, removed the face plate over the dash and trying to find the loom through that tiny tiny gap, any ideas to help me out?

Wish I had smaller hands right now :)

Well I'm trying to get at the wiring loom now for the trip computer, removed the face plate over the dash and trying to find the loom through that tiny tiny gap, any ideas to help me out?

Wish I had smaller hands right now smile.gif

youll see a metal bar behind that is the wire taped to it if you have it if its not there forget about it it could be anywhaere in the main loom behind the dash or not there at allall i can say is youll likely need to remove the clocks to get at it

So do these not actually work out ur average mpg and range wots left in ur tank

supposedly though ive often found them to be a little optomistic and many people have problems with the sender ion the tank going giving faulty readings lets be honest most of us can look at the gauge and know we have x amount of miles before we need to top up and if we dont when it starts heading to the red mark its usually a sign we need fuel so in simple words whats the point other than to worry about the poor mpg its showing as the senders on its way out

After taking the clocks cover off and the clocks out, couldn't find the loom

So I took the stalk cover off, and it doesn't have the wire for the stalk, can't be bothered taking the cowl off to be disappointed again, ah well.

I've managed to get 600 miles out of a full tank of BP's Unlimited Diesel though :D, unlike my crappy old Ka which didn't even do 400 on a full tank >_>