• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KeithC

• AndrewL

• Michael P

• thesilverfox

There's a fine line being trodden here.

Ragging a courtesy car, is not illegal. Damaging someone's property or stealing it, however, is.

I understand principally why these are being compared, but if no physical damage is caused to the courtesy car (i.e., no excess charged), how someone drives it isn't so much of an issue - so long as they don't break the law in it. At least that's my opinion. Handbrake turns, etc - well, if you wouldn't do it in your car, don't do it in another. The same applies for how the interior of th car is treated too.

However, pushing an engine hard and pushing the car to its limits (i.e. my perception of 'ragging'), is something I'd happily do in mine if I felt like it and it was within the boundaries of the law, so if a rental car operates to the same limits, it's not such a big deal.

M3 or Zetec-S - I bet neither owner can even entertain the notion that they have never broken the law in their own vehicles. But I bet both can say that they've not deliberately damaged another person's car and laughed.

I never said it was against the law, I never said it would blow up the car, it's ALL about respecting someones property.

So, I'll ask the question to you as well considering everyone seems to be ignoring it. How would you feel if someone from a garage who had care of your car passed you, ragging it down the road? Simple question that replies a simple answer.

I never said it was against the law, I never said it would blow up the car, it's ALL about respecting someones property.

So, I'll ask the question to you as well considering everyone seems to be ignoring it. How would you feel if someone from a garage who had care of your car passed you, ragging it down the road? Simple question that replies a simple answer.

And I'll reply politely and reinforce that I wasn't making a dig at you - just pointing out that vandalism is a crime, while driving an engine hard is not.

If you read my post before last, you will note that I alluded to the fact that Ford did indeed 'rag' (drive hard) my ST170 - and commented themselves about how fun it was to drive. I couldn't have cared any less about the engine or whatnot, as it was designed to do what it did - the car was in perfect condition when it came back, but had a few more miles on the clock. I would also regularly give the keys to my father and let him go nuts in it too. I didn't mind one bit.

Why? Because I knew full well that if anything was taken too far, those people left in charge would have taken ownership for any problems or damage caused. If I had seen them driving it about when it was meant to be getting something simple done that didn't require driving, then sure - perhaps then I would be a little disappointed that they broke the trust formed, but then I guess that's what deposits are for on rental cars too - in order to cover carelessness and a lackadaisical attitude.

Of the rentals I've had, where the car is boring and dull, I drove just to get from A to B - there was no point trying to 'rag' a MK7 1.2 Fiesta Style. Where the car has been a 'performance' variety, I've driven it as the car was intended - even the company providing them has encouraged me to 'enjoy' a car in the past (it's a moot point that it was the 150bhp Vectra diesel that handled like jelly).

I think the point to make, is treating other people's property how you'd treat your own. My 170 was capable of being revved hard (the very nature of the engine) and handled very well. When people wanted to do that, I didn't mind at all - I just made sure I trusted those who were in it. If someone gives me a car that can perform in a specific way, then that's how I might choose to use it - I'd expect the same from others too. People who literally chuck average rentals about are a bit stupid really.

But if you rent a Porsche for a weekend, say from a car club scheme, do you honestly think the owner expects you to drive it like a 1.0 Corsa? No - it's unlikely - but then that's also the reason you have the deposit to pay and insurance too.

Directed at me? I hope not - I made a pefectly valid point. The perceived 'ragging' and actually damaging are different things.

No no no no no !!!

Just to diffuse the situation! Please don't think that was directed at anyone! Sorry :)

No no no no no !!!

Just to diffuse the situation! Please don't think that was directed at anyone! Sorry :)

Ahh, okay. No harm done!

Ahh, okay. No harm done!

Good good good good good. I don't like the idea of offending anyone on this forum!

Unless anyone offends me, then i'll drop a massive can of feck off whoop !Removed! on their hood.

I make myself sound so tough, i'm a fecking wimp

Good good good good good. I don't like the idea of offending anyone on this forum!

Unless anyone offends me, then i'll drop a massive can of feck off whoop !Removed! on their hood.

I make myself sound so tough, i'm a fecking wimp

Hahaha... you make me giggle :lol:

Stop trying to sound street, you massive pansy :P :lol:

Boo hiss! I tell them pansies where to get off, get off my hood that is!

That said, we had new neighbours a week ago and we don't even know what they look like

And I'll reply politely and reinforce that I wasn't making a dig at you - just pointing out that vandalism is a crime, while driving an engine hard is not.

If you read my post before last, you will note that I alluded to the fact that Ford did indeed 'rag' (drive hard) my ST170 - and commented themselves about how fun it was to drive. I couldn't have cared any less about the engine or whatnot, as it was designed to do what it did - the car was in perfect condition when it came back, but had a few more miles on the clock. I would also regularly give the keys to my father and let him go nuts in it too. I didn't mind one bit.

Why? Because I knew full well that if anything was taken too far, those people left in charge would have taken ownership for any problems or damage caused. If I had seen them driving it about when it was meant to be getting something simple done that didn't require driving, then sure - perhaps then I would be a little disappointed that they broke the trust formed, but then I guess that's what deposits are for on rental cars too - in order to cover carelessness and a lackadaisical attitude.

Of the rentals I've had, where the car is boring and dull, I drove just to get from A to B - there was no point trying to 'rag' a MK7 1.2 Fiesta Style. Where the car has been a 'performance' variety, I've driven it as the car was intended - even the company providing them has encouraged me to 'enjoy' a car in the past (it's a moot point that it was the 150bhp Vectra diesel that handled like jelly).

I think the point to make, is treating other people's property how you'd treat your own. My 170 was capable of being revved hard (the very nature of the engine) and handled very well. When people wanted to do that, I didn't mind at all - I just made sure I trusted those who were in it. If someone gives me a car that can perform in a specific way, then that's how I might choose to use it - I'd expect the same from others too. People who literally chuck average rentals about are a bit stupid really.

But if you rent a Porsche for a weekend, say from a car club scheme, do you honestly think the owner expects you to drive it like a 1.0 Corsa? No - it's unlikely - but then that's also the reason you have the deposit to pay and insurance too.

Thank you for being the first person to actually answer my original question and thank you for being honest. See, myself, I would never leave my car with anyone I wouldn't trust, I haven't a problem with someone with experience taking the M3 for a test drive and utilising it's potential to justify and access what work it may have had done to it. At the end of the day, a car like mine does not need to be thrashed to an inch of it's life to give the driver enjoyment. What I couldn't justify personally, is someone taking MY car and abusing it like I know people have when they have hired/courtesy cars in their possession and the WHOLE point of my initial post in this thread.

To be honest, the nature of this forum is edging towards the younger end of the driving fraternity ( hence why I always seem to be in an argument)and I get the feeling they are unaware of what they are doing or possibly enhancing what they have done just so they look "to cool for school", as words on a keyboard mean jack. I'm now 42 and have been around a bit, been the old jack the lad, didn't give a frig about this and that, but I also know when I was doing that I was in the wrong. Now I'm older, i appreciate what I have and also what others have worked for and that is why I'm so against people disrespecting what others have worked for, whether that be a garage that has 3 employees and a courtesy car or whether it's a multi national company with a fleet making millions.

Nobody in my eye can justify treating other's property with disdain then get all judgemental if someone did that to theirs and I feel that in the case of "ragging" courtesy/rental cars, the amount of hypocrisy is laughable and the majority who do this, and I mean proper ragging, would be outraged if a garage's employee did the same to their car.

I agree with you there keithC if someone ragged the !Removed! out there car they would be the first ones to moan i mean iam 26 been driveing for 3 years and i don't drive like a nutter around the streets thinking iam someone. and has in trust it takes alot for me to trust someone with my car.

I agree with you there keithC if someone ragged the !Removed! out there car they would be the first ones to moan i mean iam 26 been driveing for 3 years and i don't drive like a nutter around the streets thinking iam someone. and has in trust it takes alot for me to trust someone with my car.

I'm 24 and driving six years with six years no claims (and three points for not paying attention to a change in speed limit!).

I had fun by myself (no other cars involved) in the 170 that would get me in a lot of trouble if I put it to words, but I realised it was a bit stupid and was part of the reason I got rid. Great car, a lot of power after coming from a 1.25 Fiesta.

There are only two people allowed to drive my car outside the garage if I'm not about - my parents. Nobody else gets a go - despite being covered 3rd party, unless I've given express permission.

But for any type of product that is rented as such - it's going to be abused to within an inch of its life sadly.

Interesting thread (although one or two posts seemed to have gone off at an angle :rolleyes: )

It’s called a ‘courtesy car’ because the garage lets you have it while they fixed yours and expect you to take the same care of their courtesy car as well as you would your own car and indeed the same care as you expect the garage to take of your car.

- Simple really, you expect the garage to respect your car you do the same with theirs :)

Fuel – the problem here is most garages expect the customer to replace what ever fuel they use, i.e. cars goes out with half a tank; you bring it back the same. But this will seldom happen; the car will come back less whatever fuel the customer has used up, meaning the next guy gets a car with sod all in it or the garage then has to waste time and money refilling it.

I’m sure if you owned the garage would you continue giving customers free fuel to go where ever they liked, I know I certainly wouldn’t.

Lets look at it this way –how about the garage giving you a full tank of fuel which you have to pay for before you leave the garage and then return the car empty.

Crazy idea?

Well some car hire companies do this and it’s a rip off so guys lets be a little more respectful of the ‘courtesy car’ otherwise garages might think ‘why bother’.

:)

Right - this thread has gone on long enough - the point has been made.

Chriss Ecc - however you feel about other members, you need to engage your brain before you post and break the forum's code of conduct on swearing. That was way way WAY beyond what's acceptable. You've said you're expecting a warning, and you've got one. I see from your account that that's your second, so learn from it please.

Thread closed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club