54 replies to this topic

#16 r3ign

r3ign

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Name: Dylan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta S1600 (Mountune 140)
  • Year: 2011

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

the problem i had is when they check the steering etc theres no load or strain on the steering so didnt do it! i got mine to do it by parkin on a hill and turning the steering lock to lock! generally does it when the cars been sitting for a while or in the mornings!

yeah sounds like a horror movie when the door creeks open! its rubber stretching! begining to look like a problem! my dealership blamed my eibach springs... i think not as they fitted them!!

I have the same problem, taken it to the dealership twice and they cant seem to find the cause of the problem :(
it's getting worse :(

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Michael P

Michael P

Traitor to Ford

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: Vauxhall Corsa

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

I have the same problem, taken it to the dealership twice and they cant seem to find the cause of the problem :(
it's getting worse :(

Have you checked for any old women in your boot? Ford have just released that a batch of 2009/2010 fiestas have gone out to be delivered with old women in the boot (manufacturing fault) they usually respond to Maud.

Hope this helps

#18 bryfly

bryfly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium 2009

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

Hi everyone,

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed my fiesta has been making a fairly noticable creaking noise when the steering is on hard (1/2 to full lock) when the car is going slowly. Times it will happen are for example when pulling out of a parking space, pulling into a tight junction, or doing a three point turn or something of the like. I have only noticed this happening at slow speeds (20ish or less) going forwards. I haven't noticed it in reverse. I was just wondering whether anyone had any idea what could be causing it and whether it is a serious problem. The car is the one in my sig and it has done about 4k miles.

Thanks guys,
Alex

Hi, Have just noticed this problem / quirk on my fiesta for the first time, has anybody had an answer to this yet from a Ford Dealer, is it something that is common to the electric power steering and needs / has a fix, or another cost reduction to far?? cheers

#19 aph1101

aph1101

Local Rep: Cambridgeshire and Rutland

• PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6TDCi Fiesta Titanium

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

We haven't taken ours in to ford yet, but when we do, I'll update it on here :D

P.S. 400th Post :D

#20 r3ign

r3ign

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:44 AM

We haven't taken ours in to ford yet, but when we do, I'll update it on here :D

P.S. 400th Post :D

dont bother taking it to fords, i have the same problem and have taken ti back to the 4 times now and they say that everything is ok. when clearly it is not.
i dont know if yours is like mine, but mine's getting louder and im worried it could be something sereous with the suspention.
i hope somone can find the cause of the problem as its rather annoying

#21 aph1101

aph1101

Local Rep: Cambridgeshire and Rutland

• PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6TDCi Fiesta Titanium

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

dont bother taking it to fords, i have the same problem and have taken ti back to the 4 times now and they say that everything is ok. when clearly it is not.
i dont know if yours is like mine, but mine's getting louder and im worried it could be something sereous with the suspention.
i hope somone can find the cause of the problem as its rather annoying

Ours is definitely getting louder aswell... it's really irritating

#22 Hook

Hook

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec
Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

+1 for somebody else experiencing this problem.

It is intermittent, but it is getting worse as well.

#23 r3ign

r3ign

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

Ours is definitely getting louder aswell... it's really irritating

yeah, its really annoying the fact ford cant diagnose the problem :(

#24 bryfly

bryfly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

yeah, its really annoying the fact ford cant diagnose the problem :(

Have we got a Ford employee on the forum who can look at the Ford system and see if Ford are aware of this concern.?????

#25 mark t

mark t

Local Rep: Yorkshire

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST3 1.6L EcoBoost SCTi
  • Year: 2014

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

Mine doesn't creak, but at very slow speeds to the left, Ie, Maccy Dee's drive thru, I squeaks!

#26 AndrewL

AndrewL

Local Rep: Warwickshire

• PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Fiesta 1.6 Ti-VCT Titanium

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

I also still have the creak, but seeing as the car feels fine to drive it doesn't really bother me that much anymore, just turn the radio up a bit.

#27 mark t

mark t

Local Rep: Yorkshire

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST3 1.6L EcoBoost SCTi
  • Year: 2014

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

Yeah, that's the problem, I have the radio turned down, as I'm just about to hit maccy dees first window, and that's when I noticed it!

#28 AntonyJ

AntonyJ

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 1.6 Ti-VCT Titanium X 5dr

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

Have we got a Ford employee on the forum who can look at the Ford system and see if Ford are aware of this concern.?????

Ask the dealer about TSB 19/2010 "Knocking noise from steering column when turning the steering wheel during driving and standing still".

"Should a customer express concern about a knocking noise from steering column when turning the steering wheel during driving and standing still, the possible cause is missing lubrication at the sliding surfaces between the male and female tubes of the lower steering shaft."

Hope this helps.... B)

#29 bryfly

bryfly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

Ask the dealer about TSB 19/2010 "Knocking noise from steering column when turning the steering wheel during driving and standing still".

Hope this helps.... B)

Thanks for the info, to save going to the dealer do you know if it is possible to get to the sliding surfaces between the male and female tubes of the lower steering shaft and lubricate it, or is it a dealer job only.....cheers

#30 AntonyJ

AntonyJ

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 1.6 Ti-VCT Titanium X 5dr

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info, to save going to the dealer do you know if it is possible to get to the sliding surfaces between the male and female tubes of the lower steering shaft and lubricate it, or is it a dealer job only.....cheers

You need the correct lubricant (Part number 1 470 997) which is an aerosol can with a long tube. I wouldn't recommend using any old lube (and certainly not WD40). You'd be better popping along to the dealer and getting it done for free. For info only, the steps are:

1. Wrap a cloth around the bottom of the steering column to protect the carpet

2. Open the small 'glovebox' to the right of the steering wheel and spray the lube down into the top end of the steering column shaft

3. Move the steering wheel up and down and in and out to spread the lube. Mop up any that's leaked out the bottom end and you're done.

If this doesn't fix it, get the dealer to take a look.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users