#46 Robbie23121988

Robbie23121988

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Robbie
  • Ford Model: Titanium 1.4i Diesel
  • Year: 2009

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

i bought my 2009 Ford Titanium 1.4 Diesel roughly 5 months ago..and recently have heard the squeeling noises when turning the steering wheel left! My car has been into ford and they told me it was a 'loose door' which is a load of rubbish as the noise is still there!! Today my car was at an independant mechanic and he could not hear anything either....so annoying when it only happens sometimes then when you go get it checked, nothing happens :/ .....has anyone found a solution to this???? My warrenty runs out in March and dont fancy gettin a hefty bill in april! haha

Also a rumbling noise is starting to occur and i see many people have commented on this as well, the mechanic i spoke to today suggested it could be the 'dual mass fly wheel' ? this makes no sense to me at all but he said it is worth ford having a look as many new cars have this problem!

Hope someone can help me with this squeeking noise as it is driving me up the wall! Cheers

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 DunkPoole

DunkPoole

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Name: Duncan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 100 Ecoboost Titanium 3dr
  • Year: 2014

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

Took my Fiesta to dealers today to try and sort this low speed stearing creaking problem. The said they heard it and have lubricated all the steering and suspension components and it is much better now. They also said there is nothing mechanically wrong. I got in the car manouvered out of the car park and the noise is still there! Looking at this thread it must just be a general thing that some fietas have and you have to put up with and no one has ever had it fixed or perhaps it just disappears eventually ? Its just weird that it diappears when you turn the steering full lock one way and then the other, only to come back again why you drive normally for a minute or two and slow up again. I guess if it was a serous fault it would be there all the time.

#48 Magenta

Magenta

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.4 Auto - Marello

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

Mine was more of a 'clicking' from the steering when manoevreing at low speeds, could be felt rather than heard, almost like play in the steering. The dealer fixed it about a year ago saying they had lubricated the steering column. It came back recently but they cured it again during the last service. I would like to know what lubricant that Ford part is. It is bound to be something proprietary that you can buy anywhere. I have some spray "silicon lubricant" (It's not WD40 as it has a different composition and can be used on synthetic rubber seals) maybe that would do it. Anyone know ?

#49 Magenta

Magenta

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

i bought my 2009 Ford Titanium 1.4 Diesel roughly 5 months ago..and recently have heard the squeeling noises when turning the steering wheel left! My car has been into ford and they told me it was a 'loose door' which is a load of rubbish as the noise is still there!! Today my car was at an independant mechanic and he could not hear anything either....so annoying when it only happens sometimes then when you go get it checked, nothing happens :/ .....has anyone found a solution to this???? My warrenty runs out in March and dont fancy gettin a hefty bill in april! haha

Also a rumbling noise is starting to occur and i see many people have commented on this as well, the mechanic i spoke to today suggested it could be the 'dual mass fly wheel' ? this makes no sense to me at all but he said it is worth ford having a look as many new cars have this problem!

Hope someone can help me with this squeeking noise as it is driving me up the wall! Cheers

I should get the steering column lubricated as described here as it is the most likely cause. The 'dual mass flywheel' is simply one that is made up of more than one part fabricated together which Ford (and others) use on diesels. Usually at high mileages, the securing rivets or whatever work loose and you get the rumbling or clattering sound. I would doubt if it has happened on a new car like yours. Sure it's not a wheel bearing ?

#50 orcomma

orcomma

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Name: Jimmy
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.6 [95] TDCi
  • Year: 2010

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

Sure it's not a wheel bearing ?

top of my most likely reason list

my first question would be - is the rumbling related to engine speed or wheel speed

#51 Magenta

Magenta

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

top of my most likely reason list

my first question would be - is the rumbling related to engine speed or wheel speed

Good question !

#52 Fatass2712

Fatass2712

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: Tom
  • Ford Model: Fiesta

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

I had the same problem with mine and i found out in the end that it is the steering columm, when the car goes in for its first service it is meant to have some grease put around the bottom joint to prevent it from binding, creaking and some times clunky while steering, its a free job under warranty but also it is a fault from ford as it is meant to last till 60,000 miles which it doesnt so i recomended you taking it back to ford and get them to sort it out as they are meant to do it on the first service. LOL :)

#53 DunkPoole

DunkPoole

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Name: Duncan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 100 Ecoboost Titanium 3dr
  • Year: 2014

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

Finally got the creaking steering problem sorted. After four visits to the dealer who sold me the vehicle who could not diagnose the problem, I drove 15 miles out of town to another smaller Ford dealer who diagnosed the fault to the top strut mountings (part of the suspension). Apparently when they entered the VIN into the system it gave them a new part number and the parts they fitted had been revised so Ford must be aware of this problem on some Fiestas.

Now the steering is fine with no creaking. The selling dealer told me to turn the radio up and forget about it and if it got worse I had 2 1/2 years warranty so come back then!

#54 TDCiST

TDCiST

No Smoke No Poke... Unless you have a DPF!

• 1,681 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Zetec S 1.6 TDCi
Contributor

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

Make a complaint to Ford about the other dealer... they wont be happy if a franchised dealer is giving awful advice!

#55 Gypsy

Gypsy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Zetec 1.4

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

I've just had my 19/2010 knocking noise rectified. I was told it wasnt a manufacture problem there for i had to pay for my ''less than two year old car ' to get the steering column lubricated.
How did it lose it's lubrication? Did it have any in the first place? Why is this not a Manu problem?

My car will be 2 in october so why has it needed this so early on in it's existence?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users