Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remove & Replace Rear Bearings

Fiesta Silver1.4

Hi there, I am currently replacing my rear drum bearings. I got a whole new bearing kit off the internet. I have got the drum off, Took the 2 bearing parts out now i just need to get the "housing" out (as i got a new one aswell)

Ive attached some pics, I have been trying get this out (using some force :E) but its just not moving at the moment.

I have got hayens but its no help :(

I am just wondering, do they just pull out of the back of the drum or do i have to have some kind of special tool?

Hammer and force aint getting me very far you see =D

Thanks rob

post-2643-126712274907_thumb.jpg

post-2643-126712284822_thumb.jpg

post-2643-126712290299_thumb.jpg

You need a hydraulic press to push the bearing out.

Make sure you press it out the right way and press the new one in teh right way too.

Ensuring you add the circlips and seals when required.

It is possible to do it in a bench vice but even then it is hard work.

Hydraulic press is the best way.

You sometimes have to use an air hammer on them too if they are really stuck in there.

I have seem 20 ton hydraulic presses fail to get the bearings out.

best to get down to a local garage and ask them to remove whats left and press the new bearing in. should probably cost about a tenner, its only 10 mins work.

its possible to hammer the new bearing in if you have the perfect size socket, you need to heat the drum evenly and putting the bearing in the freezer over night always helps :)

Hey guys, I had probs with the new bearing i got...

so i just went ahead and bought a new drum hub with bearings.

I put it on last night, tried to drive away, moved about 1 metre and it stuck stiff. I am able move 1 mtr forward/back and then it sticks. I dont know what ive done, i did out the bolt holding the drum hub on Kinda tight, but it still spins so cant be that.

Could anything be catching? Im going to take it off and put it on later after work see if that changes anything. Could anything be stopping my wheel from doing a full revolution? becasue thats whats kinda happening

Thanks rob

Hey guys, I had probs with the new bearing i got...

so i just went ahead and bought a new drum hub with bearings.

I put it on last night, tried to drive away, moved about 1 metre and it stuck stiff. I am able move 1 mtr forward/back and then it sticks. I dont know what ive done, i did out the bolt holding the drum hub on Kinda tight, but it still spins so cant be that.

Could anything be catching? Im going to take it off and put it on later after work see if that changes anything. Could anything be stopping my wheel from doing a full revolution? becasue thats whats kinda happening

Thanks rob

the hub nut should be tightened to 235Nm which is tight :)

if you replaced the drum, did you adjust the brake shoes to suit?

Ohhh, i feel dumb as a green bush in the desert... I had bricks in front of my wheels to stop it moving with the handbreak di-engadged. Seen them before moved off fine... But something strange happened..(i cant win with this car)

The (ABS) warning light came on? it didnt come on last night when i tried to move, (it normall comes on the goes off) this time it stayed on.. Ive got haynes but it doesnt explain anything about it :s

Ohhh, i feel dumb as a green bush in the desert... I had bricks in front of my wheels to stop it moving with the handbreak di-engadged. Seen them before moved off fine... But something strange happened..(i cant win with this car)

The (ABS) warning light came on? it didnt come on last night when i tried to move, (it normall comes on the goes off) this time it stayed on.. Ive got haynes but it doesnt explain anything about it :s

next time, throw the bricks (maybe not literally) and just park the car in 1st gear or reverse and let the handbrake off, the car will roll slightly until it locks - it wont be going anywhere :)

did you hit the bricks, im confused lol

haha, im confused too i dont know what happend but i moved the bricks and it moved off fine. Just have to find the problem with this ABS light now

haha, im confused too i dont know what happend but i moved the bricks and it moved off fine. Just have to find the problem with this ABS light now

i would definetly get the drum(s) off and check you havent damage the sensor or its wiring

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club