Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lack Of Power, Idling A Little Lumpy Etc

markus250

Hey guys,

Mk6 fiesta with 1.4 duratec engine and only 15k miles. Right, slight problem at the moment which is intermittant but gradually getting worse.

When driving the car, there seems to be a lack of power...you accelerate in any gear and although the car goes it seems like something is holding it back. Also when idling the rev counter needle is ever so slightly fluctuating and you can feel the engine jerking the car. All this is only VERY slight though. Every so often when accelerating there won't be much power then all of a sudden without pushing the pedal any further, the car springs into life and away we go.

There are no fault codes stored, car doesn't seem to be using any more fuel and has not long had a service although i'd imagine only oil and filter were changed as it was dealer we bought it from that did the service etc.

I checked the cars MOT history and it failed an mot on emissions and had a new lambda sensor fitted and then passed (all this at Ford dealer and Ford parts). No idea if any connection to my problem but thought i'd add it?

Would this all be symptoms of a coil pack, leads and plugs or is it something else?

Help?!

Mark :)

Similar also for my fiesta 1.25 . Especially with cold engine. When I'm trying to start (for example on lights), car slightly jumps while depressing clutch pedal and pressing accelerator. I could have 1500 or 2000rpm at the moment, but on highest load on clutch, rpm falls, like engine has no power. :(

I think it could be smt with coils, or air intake... We'll see what seniors in our ford garage thinks about it.

I would be looking in the direction of A set of plugs first cheapest option (£10 delivered) (only 15k miles but a mk6 so a good few years old if they original) then coil pack or maf sensor.

Well i've just changed the plugs and coilpack (will do leads but they didn't have any in stock). Anyway, so far when idling the engine no longer slightly judders or anything so thats a start. I have noticed a slight hissing sound from near the coilpack area...is this normal?? I know when i had a mk1 mondeo and had a hissing noise there it was a t-piece breather pipe that had split and caused misfires and poor running etc.

Also, there's no MAF on the 1.4 Duratec, there is a TMAP sensor on the throttle body which does the same job and also something to do with air temp etc? Thats all according to the haynes book. There's so much difference in little things between the 1.25 and 1.4 duratec engines. Even my throttle has no cable and is all electronic whereas the 1.25 is cable which in my eyes is far less to go wrong! :)

Will take a drive to dealers other branch for the leads and report back if any difference.

The old spark plugs were quite dirty and looked like they'd been in there ages. They were NGK standard plugs. I have fitted the NGK Platuinum plugs as they were a good price.

Hopefully the leads will sort the rest out...the sensor is £66.55.

clean the throlle body and you will notice a hell of a difference. a layer of grease and crap builds up round throttle body and when idling it cannot get enough air to tick over slowly. zoe

Well, been driving this afternoon and car still lacks power. Its more of a lack of power than misfiring. Does kinda jerk and then all power is there again. Gonna replace spark leads tomorrow as they weren't changed and they look a bit old and brown etc.

Will look at throttle body too.

About three times in the past two weeks i've smelt egg in the car...i know this could be the cat but does this mean the cat is buggered and causing my problems? It doesn't smell all the time too, no matter how the car is driven. I know car had new oxygen sensor for an mot a few years back? Didn't mention anything about cat etc?

Help?

bump for more help! :D

1.april - I have reservation in ford garage. My FoFi will not left garage until they fix everything B)

Well, the car is still the same. Spark plugs, leads and coil have all been replaced and still having the same problems.

When i pull off it seems to feel like something is REALLY holding the car back (almost like its outta fuel) and then if i keep my foot on the gas and don't press it any further, the car is holding back and then kinda jumps into life after a few seconds and everything is fine again.

Its !Removed! annoying now as i'm assuming if i take it into Ford it won't do it as the problem is intermittant.

I've got a handheld code reader and nothing is showing up on that.

The car does seem noisy when its holding back and i push thethrottle further. More of a roar from the exhaust/engine than normal.

Could the rear silencer or cat cause these problems if they're breaking up etc??

Help please!!!

• 5 months later...

Well, the car is still the same. Spark plugs, leads and coil have all been replaced and still having the same problems.

When i pull off it seems to feel like something is REALLY holding the car back (almost like its outta fuel) and then if i keep my foot on the gas and don't press it any further, the car is holding back and then kinda jumps into life after a few seconds and everything is fine again.

Its !Removed! annoying now as i'm assuming if i take it into Ford it won't do it as the problem is intermittant.

I've got a handheld code reader and nothing is showing up on that.

The car does seem noisy when its holding back and i push thethrottle further. More of a roar from the exhaust/engine than normal.

Could the rear silencer or cat cause these problems if they're breaking up etc??

Help please!!!

Hi,

Did you ever get anywhere with this; I have the same car and have exactly the same intermittent problem!! It's missues car so I didn't get to feel what she was trying to explain to me until last week when it finally happend when I was driving and it feels exactly as you describe; like there's a lack of fuel (I remember the feeling from when I used to ride bikes with manual fuel reverse switches and you had to switch to resvere while riding - I also get the hunting of the revs when idling but the issue isn't present when the car is stationary only under load.

Many thanks,

Chris

Could be a misfire or the timing is out. Doesn't sound like the engine running rich if its fine some times.

ok, its been a while since i've been on here but heres a little update!

Took the car to Ford and they found nothing wrong at all apart from they said my ecu was set to run off high octane fuel so they reset it and updated the software etc??!!

Car still the same. Took it to a diagnostic rolling road place near me who have done work for me before with lots of success and they couldn't find anything either. They did remove throttle body and clean etc.

Car is still the same again. I replaced the air and fuel filters and have just replaced the entire exhaust (minus the manifold cat) as the old backbox was blowing but again, the problem is still there. Seems to not hesitate and then lunge with loads of power now, its more of a constant lack of power. Although the car will still drive perfectly fine at and above motorway speeds.

If i'm in a gear for example 3rd at say 30mph and put my foot down hard, to the floor in some cases, the car seems to produce a really low exhaust note almost as if the exhaust was blocked (thats another reason for the exhaust change) and there is no go at all or very little.

There is not rattles or clunks from the cat at all.

If i put my foot down loads almost to the floor then sometimes i can hear a kind of ticking noise when kinda sounds like marbles clicking together or an electrical sparking sound? Its hard to explain the sound but thats not there all the time.

I have today noticed that from the coil side of the engine there is a hissing noise like air leaking out of a tyre but i can't pinpoint its exact location. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

Also whats the deal with each time i take the petrol cap off it hisses loads...could it have a fuel pressure problem??

The roar from the exhaust when booting it is similar to if you driove without an irbox attached so obviously more air getting in that fuel???

Its frustrtating that no garage these days seem to know what the problem could be as all they all seem to do is hook it up to computer and tell me there's no problems!!!!

Sorry for the essay but thats about everything so far!

Cheers,

Mark :D

ok, its been a while since i've been on here but heres a little update!

Took the car to Ford and they found nothing wrong at all apart from they said my ecu was set to run off high octane fuel so they reset it and updated the software etc??!!

Car still the same. Took it to a diagnostic rolling road place near me who have done work for me before with lots of success and they couldn't find anything either. They did remove throttle body and clean etc.

Car is still the same again. I replaced the air and fuel filters and have just replaced the entire exhaust (minus the manifold cat) as the old backbox was blowing but again, the problem is still there. Seems to not hesitate and then lunge with loads of power now, its more of a constant lack of power. Although the car will still drive perfectly fine at and above motorway speeds.

If i'm in a gear for example 3rd at say 30mph and put my foot down hard, to the floor in some cases, the car seems to produce a really low exhaust note almost as if the exhaust was blocked (thats another reason for the exhaust change) and there is no go at all or very little.

There is not rattles or clunks from the cat at all.

If i put my foot down loads almost to the floor then sometimes i can hear a kind of ticking noise when kinda sounds like marbles clicking together or an electrical sparking sound? Its hard to explain the sound but thats not there all the time.

I have today noticed that from the coil side of the engine there is a hissing noise like air leaking out of a tyre but i can't pinpoint its exact location. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

Also whats the deal with each time i take the petrol cap off it hisses loads...could it have a fuel pressure problem??

The roar from the exhaust when booting it is similar to if you driove without an irbox attached so obviously more air getting in that fuel???

Its frustrtating that no garage these days seem to know what the problem could be as all they all seem to do is hook it up to computer and tell me there's no problems!!!!

Sorry for the essay but thats about everything so far!

Cheers,

Mark :D

Hi Mark,

Your issue is exactly the same as ours; even down to the hissing sound your hearing from the engine and the fuel tank!! I think the sound under the bonnet is coming from the fuel return line or more specifically the quick release clip (found at the end of the fuel rail with a red button on the front to release); I wiggled it about while the engine was on and the note of the hissing changed; I'd never noticed this sound before and have had my head under the bonnet many times during servicing.

I also have taken it to 2 garages so far for an inspection and neither could find out what it was; missus really wants to sell car but it's hard to sell when you know there's a fault with it :-(

Please let us know if you find the solution!! I'll reply back here too if I find anything that works.

Thanks,

Chris

Btw, some one suggested leaving the filler cap removed (or loose) to allow any excess pressure build up to release but it didn't have any effect and the issue still happens; still as random as ever. We found that pulling over; switching off the engine and restarting fixes the issue most of the time; It seems to me like somthing goes wrong during startup and eventually gets worse and worse and simply rebooting fixes it.

Someone also suggested that leaving the car on a hill (facing down?) increases the odds of it happening - I've yet to try this as our road is flat but the missues did say that she mainly experiences it on the way to work (all down hill) as apposed to returning from work so potentially with the hissing sound it could be related to fuel pressure;

I hate debugging cars; Everything is so expensive - I wish I could just hook a terminal up to the car and log every sensor reading ever and then when the issue starts happenign just take a look at the sensor logs and figure out which fracking sensor it is :-D.

Chris

Btw, some one suggested leaving the filler cap removed (or loose) to allow any excess pressure build up to release but it didn't have any effect and the issue still happens; still as random as ever. We found that pulling over; switching off the engine and restarting fixes the issue most of the time; It seems to me like somthing goes wrong during startup and eventually gets worse and worse and simply rebooting fixes it.

Someone also suggested that leaving the car on a hill (facing down?) increases the odds of it happening - I've yet to try this as our road is flat but the missues did say that she mainly experiences it on the way to work (all down hill) as apposed to returning from work so potentially with the hissing sound it could be related to fuel pressure;

I hate debugging cars; Everything is so expensive - I wish I could just hook a terminal up to the car and log every sensor reading ever and then when the issue starts happenign just take a look at the sensor logs and figure out which fracking sensor it is :-D.

Chris

Hi guys. Another fiesta owner with exactly the problem you describe - this is a mk6 1.4 duratec with 14K miles. Engine seems to be holding back when trying to accelerate through 2nd and 3rd, getting stuck and then springing back to life. Seems to happen mainly on cold starts, and restarting the engine cures it for me. While this is happening the idle seems a bit rocky - but goes back to normal after a restart.

Just had a full service and plugs changed at main dealer - problem is still there.

Keep me updated on any progress and I will do the same.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi guys. Another fiesta owner with exactly the problem you describe - this is a mk6 1.4 duratec with 14K miles. Engine seems to be holding back when trying to accelerate through 2nd and 3rd, getting stuck and then springing back to life. Seems to happen mainly on cold starts, and restarting the engine cures it for me. While this is happening the idle seems a bit rocky - but goes back to normal after a restart.

Just had a full service and plugs changed at main dealer - problem is still there.

Keep me updated on any progress and I will do the same.

Cheers,

Tom

It's not a fault with the throttle sensor is it? I'm guessing that even on the 1.25 (which I have), although there's a cable, it has to be adjusting a sensor to tell the ECU how far the throttle is open so it can supply fuel. Without looking, I'm guessing the cable performs the dual role of adjusting airflow in the throttle body using a flap, and also throttle sensor. Happy to be corrected on this!

The fact that it's been reported across several different models is interesting, as it could be the same part - dodgy batch?

Shot in the dark....

It's not a fault with the throttle sensor is it? I'm guessing that even on the 1.25 (which I have), although there's a cable, it has to be adjusting a sensor to tell the ECU how far the throttle is open so it can supply fuel. Without looking, I'm guessing the cable performs the dual role of adjusting airflow in the throttle body using a flap, and also throttle sensor. Happy to be corrected on this!

The fact that it's been reported across several different models is interesting, as it could be the same part - dodgy batch?

Shot in the dark....

Mine is 2004 (54), so they're the same year too. Perfectly possible there was a dodgy batch of something. I'd be surprised if the main dealers wouldn't know about that, straight away though.

• 2 months later...

Morning

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this as i have a 04 plate Fiesta and the lack of power the hissing when removing the fuel cap and the lack of idle i have it all it has had the coil pack changed for some reason the garage changed the cat converter ? (free of course) spark plugs and cables have been changed but still i have the problems it would be nice to know if someone did get it resolved or find out what the issue was ?

The 1.25 has an electronic throttle exactly the same as the 1.4 and 1.6 duratec engines. The 2.0 st has a cable operated throttle.

I suggest you get the car rolling road'd and get diagnostic from that.

The 1.4 is rated at 80ps but it is likely to only have 65-70 ps at the wheel.

Jamie

Hey guys,

Mk6 fiesta with 1.4 duratec engine and only 15k miles. Right, slight problem at the moment which is intermittant but gradually getting worse.

When driving the car, there seems to be a lack of power...you accelerate in any gear and although the car goes it seems like something is holding it back. Also when idling the rev counter needle is ever so slightly fluctuating and you can feel the engine jerking the car. All this is only VERY slight though. Every so often when accelerating there won't be much power then all of a sudden without pushing the pedal any further, the car springs into life and away we go.

There are no fault codes stored, car doesn't seem to be using any more fuel and has not long had a service although i'd imagine only oil and filter were changed as it was dealer we bought it from that did the service etc.

I checked the cars MOT history and it failed an mot on emissions and had a new lambda sensor fitted and then passed (all this at Ford dealer and Ford parts). No idea if any connection to my problem but thought i'd add it?

Would this all be symptoms of a coil pack, leads and plugs or is it something else?

Help?!

Don't know if you ever got a fix for this but you could try running some injector cleaner additive in a full tank of fuel.I had a similar problem on the other halfs Micra, start from cold and it had a very obvious flat spot no power mid revs but ok when stopped and restarted or thrashed to death, i suspect a sticky injector but diagnostics shows nothing Ok after the injector cleaner was run through the system however.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found a solution as of yet, I have the MK6.5 Zetec S and im gettin the lumpy idle. Changed leads/sparks/ service etc Still gettin the problem. Its frustrating, could it be the throttle? Please let me know.

Cheers,

Danny

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I'm not sure whether you ever solved this, but I'm having a similar problem with my 05 Focus 1.4, which I think has the same engine. I've realised that there is a small rubber pipe near the air inlet manifold which has cracked and is letting a lot of air in, causing a hissing sound, as others have mentioned. When I put my finger over the hole in the pipe, the hissing sound stops, the engine becomes a lot quieter and the idle reverts to normal pretty quickly. As soon as I let go, the engine starts hissing again and hunting up and down for the right idle speed. I will get a new pipe tomorrow and see whether that solves the problem.

My '59 Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 Ti-VCT has pretty much all of these symptoms (24k miles). Changed plugs and leads, had full service etc. Keep us posted on the new pipe.

My 2011 mk7 tdci zs is starting to do this it's really annoying as it was only serviced a few weeks back