• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 trickards

trickards

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

Btw, some one suggested leaving the filler cap removed (or loose) to allow any excess pressure build up to release but it didn't have any effect and the issue still happens; still as random as ever. We found that pulling over; switching off the engine and restarting fixes the issue most of the time; It seems to me like somthing goes wrong during startup and eventually gets worse and worse and simply rebooting fixes it.

Someone also suggested that leaving the car on a hill (facing down?) increases the odds of it happening - I've yet to try this as our road is flat but the missues did say that she mainly experiences it on the way to work (all down hill) as apposed to returning from work so potentially with the hissing sound it could be related to fuel pressure;

I hate debugging cars; Everything is so expensive - I wish I could just hook a terminal up to the car and log every sensor reading ever and then when the issue starts happenign just take a look at the sensor logs and figure out which fracking sensor it is :-D.

Chris

Hi guys. Another fiesta owner with exactly the problem you describe - this is a mk6 1.4 duratec with 14K miles. Engine seems to be holding back when trying to accelerate through 2nd and 3rd, getting stuck and then springing back to life. Seems to happen mainly on cold starts, and restarting the engine cures it for me. While this is happening the idle seems a bit rocky - but goes back to normal after a restart.

Just had a full service and plugs changed at main dealer - problem is still there.

Keep me updated on any progress and I will do the same.

Cheers,
Tom

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 rikernumber1

rikernumber1

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Finesse 2004
Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

Hi guys. Another fiesta owner with exactly the problem you describe - this is a mk6 1.4 duratec with 14K miles. Engine seems to be holding back when trying to accelerate through 2nd and 3rd, getting stuck and then springing back to life. Seems to happen mainly on cold starts, and restarting the engine cures it for me. While this is happening the idle seems a bit rocky - but goes back to normal after a restart.

Just had a full service and plugs changed at main dealer - problem is still there.

Keep me updated on any progress and I will do the same.

Cheers,
Tom

It's not a fault with the throttle sensor is it? I'm guessing that even on the 1.25 (which I have), although there's a cable, it has to be adjusting a sensor to tell the ECU how far the throttle is open so it can supply fuel. Without looking, I'm guessing the cable performs the dual role of adjusting airflow in the throttle body using a flap, and also throttle sensor. Happy to be corrected on this!

The fact that it's been reported across several different models is interesting, as it could be the same part - dodgy batch?

Shot in the dark....

#18 trickards

trickards

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: 2010 Fiesta Zetec S

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

It's not a fault with the throttle sensor is it? I'm guessing that even on the 1.25 (which I have), although there's a cable, it has to be adjusting a sensor to tell the ECU how far the throttle is open so it can supply fuel. Without looking, I'm guessing the cable performs the dual role of adjusting airflow in the throttle body using a flap, and also throttle sensor. Happy to be corrected on this!

The fact that it's been reported across several different models is interesting, as it could be the same part - dodgy batch?

Shot in the dark....

Mine is 2004 (54), so they're the same year too. Perfectly possible there was a dodgy batch of something. I'd be surprised if the main dealers wouldn't know about that, straight away though.

#19 scott taylor

scott taylor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk 6

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

Morning
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this as i have a 04 plate Fiesta and the lack of power the hissing when removing the fuel cap and the lack of idle i have it all it has had the coil pack changed for some reason the garage changed the cat converter ? (free of course) spark plugs and cables have been changed but still i have the problems it would be nice to know if someone did get it resolved or find out what the issue was ?

#20 james_60

james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

The 1.25 has an electronic throttle exactly the same as the 1.4 and 1.6 duratec engines. The 2.0 st has a cable operated throttle.

I suggest you get the car rolling road'd and get diagnostic from that.

The 1.4 is rated at 80ps but it is likely to only have 65-70 ps at the wheel.

Jamie

#21 amarokuk

amarokuk

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.4 Petrol
Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:44 PM

Hey guys,

Mk6 fiesta with 1.4 duratec engine and only 15k miles. Right, slight problem at the moment which is intermittant but gradually getting worse.

When driving the car, there seems to be a lack of power...you accelerate in any gear and although the car goes it seems like something is holding it back. Also when idling the rev counter needle is ever so slightly fluctuating and you can feel the engine jerking the car. All this is only VERY slight though. Every so often when accelerating there won't be much power then all of a sudden without pushing the pedal any further, the car springs into life and away we go.

There are no fault codes stored, car doesn't seem to be using any more fuel and has not long had a service although i'd imagine only oil and filter were changed as it was dealer we bought it from that did the service etc.

I checked the cars MOT history and it failed an mot on emissions and had a new lambda sensor fitted and then passed (all this at Ford dealer and Ford parts). No idea if any connection to my problem but thought i'd add it?

Would this all be symptoms of a coil pack, leads and plugs or is it something else?

Help?!

Mark :)

Don't know if you ever got a fix for this but you could try running some injector cleaner additive in a full tank of fuel.I had a similar problem on the other halfs Micra, start from cold and it had a very obvious flat spot no power mid revs but ok when stopped and restarted or thrashed to death, i suspect a sticky injector but diagnostics shows nothing Ok after the injector cleaner was run through the system however.

#22 Ammo1983

Ammo1983

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Mk6.5 Zetec S 30th

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

Has anyone found a solution as of yet, I have the MK6.5 Zetec S and im gettin the lumpy idle. Changed leads/sparks/ service etc Still gettin the problem. Its frustrating, could it be the throttle? Please let me know.

Cheers,

Danny

#23 chriscawkwell

chriscawkwell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hi there, I'm not sure whether you ever solved this, but I'm having a similar problem with my 05 Focus 1.4, which I think has the same engine. I've realised that there is a small rubber pipe near the air inlet manifold which has cracked and is letting a lot of air in, causing a hissing sound, as others have mentioned. When I put my finger over the hole in the pipe, the hissing sound stops, the engine becomes a lot quieter and the idle reverts to normal pretty quickly. As soon as I let go, the engine starts hissing again and hunting up and down for the right idle speed. I will get a new pipe tomorrow and see whether that solves the problem.

#24 MRC89

MRC89

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

My '59 Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 Ti-VCT has pretty much all of these symptoms (24k miles). Changed plugs and leads, had full service etc. Keep us posted on the new pipe.

#25 sambooka

sambooka

Sam Oglesby

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Name: sam
  • Ford Model: mk7 fiesta tdci zetec s
  • Year: 2011

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:59 AM

My 2011 mk7 tdci zs is starting to do this it's really annoying as it was only serviced a few weeks back

#26 A-train

A-train

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Name: .
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

Mass air flow (maf) sensor was a problem on my old car that caused these symptoms? Split hose a mentioned above?

#27 dogma1978

dogma1978

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Name: JIM
  • Ford Model: fiesta climate
  • Year: 2008

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi all.

Im a bit late in this post and i jst started another one but did you all every sort the problem out.  I bought a 2007 1.4 with 14,000 on the clock.  the car has started doing the power loss thing to although i dont get any odd noises

many thanks

Jim

#28 Stewie316

Stewie316

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Name: Kyle
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.4 - Hot Magenta

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I'm going to post here because i opened a thread not too long ago about this.  I have exactly the same symptoms and the things i've tried so far are sTp fuel cleaner & new air filter.  I took my k&n air filter out and tried a ford.  It didn't make much difference apart from acceleration seems to react better.  I just came back from ford who saw the needle bouncing up and down at 1k-1.5k rpm (idle is fine) unless cold start (consider this normal).  It never fails to start first time. I have however noticed a lack of power or like a choke.

Saying this i recently switched all my tyres from Hankook Ventus 2 -> Avon ZV5 and have noticed the car being a little heavier.

Main issue i have is sometimes when i want to push off fast my car cough's in the middle of the roundabout and then springs back to life.  I do find it dangerous when all of a sudden i have no power to leap off the small time i have.

Now, i could say maybe this is a software issue detecting you trying to move off too fast, and hesitates so you don't skid.  Easily done with Avon tyres.  But i'm open to any type of conspiracy thinking.

Does anyone also get clunking in the gearbox when switching down gears 2nd - 1st?

1.4 Duratec Engine -_-  < 1.0 ecoboost wannabe. :D

#29 dogma1978

dogma1978

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Name: JIM
  • Ford Model: fiesta climate
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

I dont get the cluck but mine has always suffered with being hard to change from 1st to 2nd.  I posted a thread on this and its apparently a common issue.  Have you ever tried this MAP sensor thing.  Apparently they dont have the good old MAF anymore :(

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users