Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.4

millsydt

i just got a Y Reg focus 1.4 CL and why is it all the reviews of it are bad saying its slow its weedy etc i have driven a 1.6 zetec version and it felt no quicker iv had 2 fiesta 1.25s too and it feels just as quick even though the fiesta is lighter and has the same power.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• artscot79

• ford focus edge

• thesilverfox

• Knight Focus

My first Focus was a 1.4, and yes, it's very underpowered under load. Wasn't so bad when I was by myself, but when family and shopping were in you could really feel the difference.

I still loved it though!!

Mike

i just got a Y Reg focus 1.4 CL and why is it all the reviews of it are bad saying its slow its weedy etc i have driven a 1.6 zetec version and it felt no quicker iv had 2 fiesta 1.25s too and it feels just as quick even though the fiesta is lighter and has the same power.

well i test drove the 1.4 before i bought my 1.8 and to be true to the reviews i found it slow and underpowered and rubbish on the dual carriageway the figures for the 1.4 are 0-60 13.6 seconds it has only 73 bhp top speed 106mph a 1.6 has 0-60 time of 10.6 seconds 98bhp and a top speed of 115mph so its slower underpowered and has a lot less torque which is why it was slated in the press basically the 1.4 was a engine that had no place in the focus i chose a 1.8 zetec 0-60 9.9 seconds 123mph and 115bhp i couldnt have lived with the 1.4 get a few people in it some shopping etc and youll see why to be honest its a terrible engine.

The entry-level 1.4-litre engine is underpowered out of town, so the best choice for economy and performance is the 1.6-litre,

the 1.4 sells really cheap as no one really wants them thge mpg figures out of town are quite poor as it takes a lot of effort for the 1.4 to shift the car after you get used to it youll see what i mean

I looked at a 1.4 but i was told by my old mentor at ford that the 1.4 engine its self is a pos being chain driver rather than belt also its just got absoutly no power what so ever and for the kind of roads i live on id have to thrash the living daylights out of it i like the idea of the running costs being cheaper ALOT but for me its just not pratical and no doubt with the way i drive itd have a massive hole in the side of the engine by now! lol

Mike

I looked at a 1.4 but i was told by my old mentor at ford that the 1.4 engine its self is a pos being chain driver rather than belt also its just got absoutly no power what so ever and for the kind of roads i live on id have to thrash the living daylights out of it i like the idea of the running costs being cheaper ALOT but for me its just not pratical and no doubt with the way i drive itd have a massive hole in the side of the engine by now! lol

Mike

having driven one i hated it useless for over taking and annoyingly gutless i found myself with foot to the floor shouting at it to move banging the stteering wheel in frustration i wouldnt attempt to over take in it

I was a bit surprised that Ford carried over the 1.4 to the mark 2 Focus which is bigger than the mark 1. I have not driven a 1.4 focus but have driven but have driven Focus competitors with a 1.4 and found them woefully underpowered for my liking. The worst was a 1.4 Fiat Brava. It was in the sport pack so looked nice and also had a six speed box but my god sixth was useless. I was given it by work to go to a meeting 100 miles away and on the motorway to make any progress meant shifting from sixth to fifth and straining the engine. I understand the putting in an extra ratio makes cruising more relaxed and better economy at cruisng speed but the car just couldn't handle it.

I was a bit surprised that Ford carried over the 1.4 to the mark 2 Focus which is bigger than the mark 1. I have not driven a 1.4 focus but have driven but have driven Focus competitors with a 1.4 and found them woefully underpowered for my liking. The worst was a 1.4 Fiat Brava. It was in the sport pack so looked nice and also had a six speed box but my god sixth was useless. I was given it by work to go to a meeting 100 miles away and on the motorway to make any progress meant shifting from sixth to fifth and straining the engine. I understand the putting in an extra ratio makes cruising more relaxed and better economy at cruisng speed but the car just couldn't handle it.

hes got a y reg 2001 mark 1tongue.gif does the mk2 have a 1.4 never looked i had a 98bhp 1.3 hyundai and that was nippy and liked being revved

Yeah I saw that the OP had a mark 1. I was just trying to comment that the 1.4 was not ideal in the mark 1 so why use it in the mark 2 (78 bhp) which is a bigger heavier car? I had a Cavalier with a 1.6 which was slow, apparently there was also a 1.4 in that as well!

hes got a y reg 2001 mark 1tongue.gif does the mk2 have a 1.4 never looked i had a 98bhp 1.3 hyundai and that was nippy and liked being revved

They did for a short while 0-60 in a lifetime and by the time it hits 100 the world's ended, reformed and then ended again :P

Mike

and yeah they did a 1.4 caviler envoy

Edited by ford focus edge

No matter what the reviews say, it doesn't matter as long as you are happy with the car and it fulfills your needs.

Mike

No matter what the reviews say, it doesn't matter as long as you are happy with the car and it fulfills your needs.

Mike

very true ive always had bigger engine cars so it will feel slow to me but if youre happy and it suits youre needs then doesnt really matter does it

very true ive always had bigger engine cars so it will feel slow to me but if youre happy and it suits youre needs then doesnt really matter does it

As the other's have said if your happy with it ignore us lol i cudant have a 1.4 baised on location and my driving style id just kill it dead.

Mike

As the other's have said if your happy with it ignore us lol i cudant have a 1.4 baised on location and my driving style id just kill it dead.

Mike

with youre driving you need a 1.0litre not a 1.4 lol tongue.gifohmy.gifbiggrin.gifblink.gifunsure.gifrolleyes.gif

with youre driving you need a 1.0litre not a 1.4 lol tongue.gifohmy.gifbiggrin.gifblink.gifunsure.gifrolleyes.gif

Hey you! dont make me get the scottish joke book out :P was impressed today though had a 318i m-sport off the lights on the way home B) mmuahahahaha ANDDD to throw a can of deordant onto the fire its getting a cat-back system soon (next 3weeks depends on how my eBay sales go)

Mike

Hey you! dont make me get the scottish joke book out tongue.gif was impressed today though had a 318i m-sport off the lights on the way home cool.gif mmuahahahaha ANDDD to throw a can of deordant onto the fire its getting a cat-back system soon (next 3weeks depends on how my ebay sales go)

Mike

tut tut tut 3 points and youre backsidce please said mr copper a night in the cells young man and a red ring piece in the morning lol well ive had mine timed for 0-60 and its now 8.1 seconds which im happy with weird thing is thats standard so i aint complaining and nope i aint cat backing airboxing or any of that a standard k and n filters going ion it and thats it

tut tut tut 3 points and youre backsidce please said mr copper a night in the cells young man and a red ring piece in the morning lol well ive had mine timed for 0-60 and its now 8.1 seconds which im happy with weird thing is thats standard so i aint complaining and nope i aint cat backing airboxing or any of that a standard k and n filters going ion it and thats it

8.1 how the hell ... a st170 is running 7.9 have you taken all your seats out, door cards, glass, taped up pannel gaps etc :huh: and the red ring was on my xbox :( bloodey microsoft sh*t. I only want a cat-back for the deep grumble + on the way to the beaches round here you've gota go thru some long tunnels ;) windows down, 2nd gear and foot hard down yes please!

Mike

8.1 how the hell ... a st170 is running 7.9 have you taken all your seats out, door cards, glass, taped up pannel gaps etc huh.gif and the red ring was on my xbox sad.gif bloodey microsoft sh*t. I only want a cat-back for the deep grumble + on the way to the beaches round here you've gota go thru some long tunnels wink.gif windows down, 2nd gear and foot hard down yes please!

Mike

standard my friend nowt removed 8.1 full throttle revving to the limit or 9.0 if i take it a bit easier had the red ring before call microsoft as it will be repaired under warrabnty in truth i got a brand new one and a new 5 year warranty as standard from xbox

standard my friend nowt removed 8.1 full throttle revving to the limit or 9.0 if i take it a bit easier had the red ring before call microsoft as it will be repaired under warrabnty in truth i got a brand new one and a new 5 year warranty as standard from xbox

Thats what i did with mine 5yr warrnety got a brand new one replaced my hammered old one lol. With out a cat-back mines running about 9.9 - 10.5 weather depending colder and dry days it runs sweet as a nut and flys along no effort gonna time it with the cat-back and see what it does just ordered it today :D

Mike

Thats what i did with mine 5yr warrnety got a brand new one replaced my hammered old one lol. With out a cat-back mines running about 9.9 - 10.5 weather depending colder and dry days it runs sweet as a nut and flys along no effort gonna time it with the cat-back and see what it does just ordered it today biggrin.gif

Mike

after having both front springs done im spending nowt strange though prior to the spring going i had acreaking noise for ages that nop one could find and now its dissapered obviously connected in some way had it for months

after having both front springs done im spending nowt strange though prior to the spring going i had acreaking noise for ages that nop one could find and now its dissapered obviously connected in some way had it for months

Weird noises like that are easy as hell to find or a complete pain, my cusin had a 106 gti and it had a bad rattle turns out it was the engine mount thus meaning at oulton park in the carpark we started the car and the engine fell out was hilarious!

Mike

Weird noises like that are easy as hell to find or a complete pain, my cusin had a 106 gti and it had a bad rattle turns out it was the engine mount thus meaning at oulton park in the carpark we started the car and the engine fell out was hilarious!

Mike

well were thinking it was either from the spring or one of the bolts wasnt torqued as its completely dissapeared just gotta pop in a new pcv valve and ellbow and thats another job done i usually change them regardless so ill get that done then a new coil pack even though the one thats in is fine

well were thinking it was either from the spring or one of the bolts wasnt torqued as its completely dissapeared just gotta pop in a new pcv valve and ellbow and thats another job done i usually change them regardless so ill get that done then a new coil pack even though the one thats in is fine

I have absoutly no idea what half of that is but yeah good lmao. What i do know though is that the coil packs do go on the 1.8's happend to my mates focus then again he nearly blew his up

Mike

I have absoutly no idea what half of that is but yeah good lmao. What i do know though is that the coil packs do go on the 1.8's happend to my mates focus then again he nearly blew his up

Mike

common on all fords the coil packs they aint that dear and its an easy job so what the hell its done its done and thats another little job out my way

Where and how was it timed? While it's not uncommon for stock engines to vary a little in power output (favourably too), there is simply no way the 1.8 (115bhp no VVT) can be as quick as an ST170 (170bhp, VVT) stock.

On topic, the 1.4 petrol is indeed available in the slightly more porky MKII shape. Surprising, as the MKII diesel for example, is over 200kg heavier than my old MKI ST170. That's a fair bit - the non-diesel models put on some weight too, but then it's a physically larger car (just).

Where and how was it timed? While it's not uncommon for stock engines to vary a little in power output (favourably too), there is simply no way the 1.8 (115bhp no VVT) can be as quick as an ST170 (170bhp, VVT) stock.

On topic, the 1.4 petrol is indeed available in the slightly more porky MKII shape. Surprising, as the MKII diesel for example, is over 200kg heavier than my old MKI ST170. That's a fair bit - the non-diesel models put on some weight too, but then it's a physically larger car (just).

was timed at knockhill by a riend who works there and its doing those times stock in fact there was a tester when the focus was launched who had better 0-60 times than ford stated anywhere between 8.5- 9.1 is the average times it can do it quicker but thats rattling every last bit out of it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club